By Quote-Unquote Apps
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Highland is the award-winning screenplay editor that lets you focus on the words, not margins. Designed by screenwriter John August and his team, Highland is the better way to write movies and television.
"Highland has changed my entire way of working with scripts. I use it every day."
— David Wain, Writer/Director/EP of Children's Hospital
"A powerhouse of features that will help you shine in the screenwriting business."
— Mac AppStorm (9/10)
"Certainly for those in the film industry, this app is more than worth its price."
— Macworld (2013 Eddy Winner)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F O C U S . . . . . . . .
You write. Highland formats.
Unlike old-fashioned editors, you don't need to tell Highland which element is a character and which is dialogue. It just knows.
So you can spend your time finding the perfect word, not the right menu command.
When you want to see the layout, quickly toggle between your text and your screenplay preview with ⌘-E. Your hands never need to leave the keyboard.
With one click, Highland turns your words into a perfectly-formatted screenplay, ready to print or export as an FDX or PDF.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F E A T U R E S . . . . . . . .
Highland is built by screenwriters, for screenwriters. You’ll love working in an editor designed for writing.
- Dark Mode. Late night inspiration without the without the eye-strain.
- Full screen mode. The ultimate distraction-free screenwriting experience.
- In-line notes and synopses. Keep your notes right where you need them.
- Smart sections. Organize your script by acts and sequences, not scene headers.
- Syntax highlighting. Highland denotes sections, synopses, notes, and formatting beautifully.
- Smart pagination. Highland knows how to break pages just right, keeping sentences together.
- Boneyard. Keep those scraps and partial scenes handy for reference.
- Easy uppercase. Shift-return transforms a line to uppercase—perfect for and scene headings and character slugs.
- Fountain cheat sheet. Forget how to center something? The answer is a glance away.
. . . . . . . . . . . A D V A N T A G E S . . . . . . . .
Highland is build for today, and the future.
- Speed. Highland is lean and mean. From scrolling to previews, Highland is blisteringly fast. Because it's Mac-only, we optimize it using the latest Apple technologies.
- Great typography. Highland features Courier Prime and Highland Sans for exceptional typography right out of the box. Screenwriters shouldn't have to look at ugly fonts.
- Standards-leading. Created by the same team that helped forge the Fountain standard, Highland speaks Fountain fluently. We're often the first to incorporate new specs, such as lyrics and forced character names.
- Compatible. Highland is perfect for moving files between Fountain, Final Draft, and PDF formats.
- Built for retina. Highland’s simplicity is even sharper on retina displays.
- Best-in-class PDF melting. Screenplay PDFs are no longer frozen in carbonate. This was Highland's breakout feature, and remains unequaled.
- Active development. Highland receives regular updates, sometimes twice a month, incorporating user-requested features almost every build.
- Created by working screenwriters. We use Highland every day, which is why we keep refining it.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S U P P O R T . . . . . . . .
Our in-app "Welcome to Highland" (under the Help menu) can walk you though many features.
We also have an extensive FAQ, available both in-app and online:
Send Feedback directly from the Help menu, or reach us online by email at email@example.com, or on Twitter @qapps
What's New in Version 1.7.3
- Fixes printing permissions
A fabulous screenwriting tool
I am four months in on a screenplay. I decided to use Highland to write it. In the four months, here’s what I’ve found:
1) The editor is simple, clear, and elegant. There are two modes: writing and preview. Writing mode is focused on the text keeps you in your screenplay. The few text embellishments that the developers have chosen to provide are just right, specific to the needs of the presentation of the screenplay: text formatting (bold, italic, underline) and annotation ( sections, synopses, and notes). Text formatting is presented how it will appear in the screenplay. Annotations are colored text, informing the user that they won’t be visible at all.
2) Fountain, the plain text screenplay format that Highland is built on, is readable and completely stays out of the way. Because Fountain is an open standard, any app that interprets Fountain can read your screenplay.
3) The developers provide frequent updates and improvements. Every 3-6 weeks updates roll out, which consist of thoughtful, new features, and bug fixes. The developers are incredibly responsive to both bugs and suggs. It is clear that these folks care a lot about the quality of their tools. I have confidence knowing that my writing tool is well supported.
I can’t recommend this tool highly enough.
So simple, yet so useful
After Adobe Story decided to delete 95% of my sceenplay, I decided it was time to give Highland a try. Luckily I had saved a pdf of the script before the incident. I draged it into Highland and it converted it right to fountian format and I was good to go! All that I need now is an iPad app!! I’ll use Editorial for that in the mean time.
Thanks John August and anyone else who helped make this app come together. Keep up the good work!
Straight-forward and Easy
Incredibly simple software. After writing for close to a decade on FinalDraft, it’s nice to finally have a program that doesn’t inhibit your writing flow. Highly recommend.
On top of that, the support staff is amazing and insanely fast. I had a question, received an e-mail response almost immediately.