By Quote-Unquote Apps
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Highland is the award-winning screenplay editor that lets you focus on the words, not margins. Designed by screenwriter John August and his team, Highland is the better way to write movies and television.
"Highland has changed my entire way of working with scripts. I use it every day."
— David Wain, Writer/Director/EP of Children's Hospital
"A powerhouse of features that will help you shine in the screenwriting business."
— Mac AppStorm (9/10)
"Certainly for those in the film industry, this app is more than worth its price."
— Macworld (2013 Eddy Winner)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F O C U S . . . . . . . .
You write. Highland formats.
Unlike old-fashioned editors, you don't need to tell Highland which element is a character and which is dialogue. It just knows.
So you can spend your time finding the perfect word, not the right menu command.
When you want to see the layout, quickly toggle between your text and your screenplay preview with ⌘-E. Your hands never need to leave the keyboard.
With one click, Highland turns your words into a perfectly-formatted screenplay, ready to print or export as an FDX or PDF.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F E A T U R E S . . . . . . . .
Highland is built by screenwriters, for screenwriters. You’ll love working in an editor designed for writing.
- Dark Mode. Late night inspiration without the eye-strain.
- Full screen mode. The ultimate distraction-free screenwriting experience.
- In-line notes and synopses. Keep your notes right where you need them.
- Smart sections. Organize your script by acts and sequences, not scene headers.
- Syntax highlighting. Highland denotes sections, synopses, notes, and formatting beautifully.
- Smart pagination. Highland knows how to break pages just right, keeping sentences together.
- Boneyard. Keep those scraps and partial scenes handy for reference.
- Easy uppercase. Shift-return transforms a line to uppercase—perfect for and scene headings and character slugs.
- Fountain cheat sheet. Forget how to center something? The answer is a glance away.
. . . . . . . . . . . A D V A N T A G E S . . . . . . . .
Highland is built for today, and the future.
- Speed. Highland is lean and mean. From scrolling to previews, Highland is blisteringly fast. Because it's Mac-only, we optimize it using the latest Apple technologies.
- Great typography. Highland features Courier Prime and Highland Sans for exceptional typography right out of the box. Screenwriters shouldn't have to look at ugly fonts.
- Standards-leading. Created by the same team that helped forge the Fountain standard, Highland speaks Fountain fluently. We're often the first to incorporate new specs, such as lyrics and forced character names.
- Compatible. Highland is perfect for moving files between Fountain, Final Draft, and PDF formats.
- Built for retina. Highland’s simplicity is even sharper on retina displays.
- Best-in-class PDF melting. Screenplay PDFs are no longer frozen in carbonate. This was Highland's breakout feature, and remains unequaled.
- Active development. Highland receives regular updates, sometimes twice a month, incorporating user-requested features almost every build.
- Created by working screenwriters. We use Highland every day, which is why we keep refining it.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S U P P O R T . . . . . . . .
Our in-app "Welcome to Highland" (under the Help menu) can walk you though many features.
We also have an extensive FAQ, available both in-app and online:
Send Feedback directly from the Help menu, or reach us online by email at email@example.com, or on Twitter @qapps
What's New in Version 1.9
- Fixes problems with automatically adding MORE/CONT'D across page breaks
- Misc bug fixes
Can’t, Won’t Go Back to Traditional Tab/Return Software
Unfortunately, Highland has ruined all other screenwriting software for me. Any time I have to use another application for specific production needs (colored revisions, mostly), I’m reintroduced to the lack of fluidity afforded by other competing apps like Final Draft/Movie Magic/Fade In. Once you get the hang of writing in Fountain, Highland just kind of disappears into the background until you want to preview what you’ve written in screenplay format (which it does very well). Any writer can attest to the potentially harmful nature of disrupting one’s “flow”, and Highland does a particularly good job at combating this. I’d petition for a sixth star if Quote-Unquote could figure out how to get my dog to stop barking at the neighbors walking down the sidewalk, but we’ll have to stick with the five for now.
There is only one Highland
The best screenwriting software around. I gave up on actually writing in the screenplay format a long time ago due to the insanity that is Final Draft. I ended up writing all my scripts in google docs esentially formatting it like you do in Highland. I thought I was the only one who enjoyed writing everything in the simplest format possible. Lo and behold John August also enjoyed it and made this very intuitive app to write in. I highly recommend this to everyone. I specially bought a Mac to run this App and haven’t been disappointed.
Great Job, Team!
The Leading Fountain Editor
From the way I understand it, Highland was the brainchild of John August, bringing us back to a simplier time before XML and the Swamp of Incompatible File Formats began taking lives. Thank you! I remember using simplier apps long ago, writing my own using WORD macros, and everything in-between before Final Draft became this huge monster. Highland is SIMPLE and FAST. While often also use another Fountain editor, I love dark mode in Highland. I love its speed. I love it can import half a dozen other formats from the swamp and get them into Fountain. Support Highland!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Dec 04, 2015
- Version: 1.9
- Size: 7.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Quote-Unquote Films, Inc.
- © Quote-Unquote Apps
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor