HippoDICT Plus ~ Chinese English Dictionary
By RoboHippo LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
HippoDICT Plus is a Chinese-English dictionary that seamlessly integrates online and offline resources in a clean, elegant, and ultra-fast interface.
Built into HippoDICT is the popular 95,000+ entry CC-CEDICT dictionary, augmented with Zhuyin pronunciations, character etymology, and a super-fast lookup engine. And if you can't find something in the built-in dictionary, HippoDICT gives you one tap access to the best online resources - Dict.cn, Google Dictionary, MDBG, Nciku, and Yellowbridge - something that no other dictionary offers.
HippoDICT also has Decks - a simple but powerful organization and learning tool. Arranging entries into Decks is a great way manage commonly used terms and to help with building your vocabulary!
Visit http://hippodict.com for more information and to see HippoDICT in action.
- 95,000+ entry built-in dictionary with both Simplified and Traditional characters.
- Zhuyin and pinyin pronunciations.
- Search by characters, pinyin, zhuyin, or English.
- Character etymology.
- Top-notch speed and performance.
- Intelligently ranked search results.
- One-touch web integration with Dict.cn, Google Dictionary, MDBG, Nciku, and Yellowbridge.
- Decks for organizing and managing common searches.
- Flashcards for every deck.
- Add your own custom entries to any deck.
- Backup and restore decks to and from your computer.
- SuperMemo-based learning system.
- View any character in full screen mode.
- Clean, elegant, and intuitive interface.
- Supports iOS 4 fast app switching.
- "Best Reference Apps Money Can Buy" in iPhone Life magazine
What's New in Version 2.2.3
- Added ability to copy characters to the clipboard (long tap on the characters at the top of the entry screen)
- Minor UI improvements
- View a character in full screen mode
- Backup and restore Decks to and from your computer
- Choose to display either zhuyin or pinyin in the list of results
- Simplified adding entries to the Learning Deck
- Supports iOS 4 fast app switching
- Upgraded UI for the iPhone 4 (Retina Display)
- Updated built-in dictionary to the latest version of CC-CEDICT
- Minor UI changes
perfect tool for building vocab
I have tried other chinese dictionaries in the market and have to agree that although HippoDICT doesn't look like it has much bells and whistles, it's simply the best tool to use every day. I love how the desks feature lets you conduct flashcard exercises based on characters/pinyin/ or meaning. So it's totally up to you to focus on recognizing a set of useful characters or focus on learning pinyin/meaning only. I also like that you can easily break down words, learn one character only or find all words containing that character. The app can be improved if it uses some higher quality chinese dictionary database rather the free ccdict database since ccdict contains entries that are a bit outdated and are lack of examples. Still, from a 1-year chinese learner and interaction designer's view point, I highly recommend the app!
HippoDict is awesome.
I actually bought HippoDict accidentally - I thought I'd gotten it a year ago when I wrote a blog post comparing different Chinese/English dictionaries on iPhone so I clicked "buy" thinking that I wouldn't be charged. It turned out okay though since I discovered that HippoDict is the best dictionary on my iPhone now (I have Qingwen, KTDict, Qingwen, etc). I'm glad that the app is still in development and you're adding new features - I'll definitely write a new blog post to promote HippoDict itself. Thanks!
one major flaw
This Chinese dictionary, regardless of the rave reviews, has one major flaw, and it is a flaw of almost all Chinese dictionary apps--it's based on CE-CEDICT dictionary, and that underlying dictionary displays the old characters for many characters that have been simplified. Doesn't matter that you have set options on iPhone, or even for the specific app, to the official simplified character set of mainland China. Many of the old characters are displayed. It's very unfortunate that so many Chinese dictionaries take the cheap route and just use this CE-CEDICT.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 07, 2010
- Version: 2.2.3
- Size: 13.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: RoboHippo LLC
- © 2011 RoboHippo LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.