By Astrodantastic Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Historical Markers displays the locations and descriptions of over 130,000 historic markers throughout North America. Access detailed plaque descriptions, photos, and links to online repositories of historical information. Historical Markers allows you to display markers near your current position or browse the entire marker catalog through a comprehensive search utility right on your device. Historical Markers contains thousands of markers with full plaque text from the Historical Marker Database (HMDB.org) as well as detailed place information for the entire U.S. National Registry of Historic Places.
Historical Markers is a perfect app for anyone interested in learning about the history around them, whether on travel or closer to home.
- Over 60,000 markers from the Historical Marker Database
- Over 75,000 markers from the U.S. National Registry of Historic Places
- GPS utility to display markers around your current location
- Images of markers and surrounding areas
- Text to speech engine to allow voice dictation of marker descriptions while on the road
- Area search for user specified address or city
- Comprehensive search utility to sort through markers
- Email marker information without leaving the app
- User selectable search radius (for improved performance on older devices)
- Multithreading support for improved performance
- Native iPad support
- Light and dark user interface modes
*** Please Note: Historical Markers aggregates data from the Historical Marker Database and the U.S. National Registry of Historic Places. If a local marker is not in either of these databases, it will not appear in the app. If you would like to add a local marker to the Historical Marker Database, please visit http://www.hmdb.org!
*** Tech Support Note: We have worked very hard to address the bug reports submitted by users and listed in the app store reviews. Version 3.1 should address many of the GPS and app crash reports that we have recieved. If you have any additional problems with the app, or if you've found a bug, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com. Thanks!
What's New in Version 3.1
- New iOS 7 look and feel
- New image view lets you scroll through photos of the marker location
- New text to speech feature reads the marker information
- New light and dark user interface modes
- Major stability improvements
- Major database performance improvements
- Various GPS related bug fixes
- Various other minor bug fixes
- HMDB marker updates
- NRHP marker updates
One of my favorites!
I rarely review apps, but this one has really been a pleasure to use and has quickly become one of my favorites. Being able to see pictures of the markers has been a great improvement over the previous versions. It’s just been a lot of fun all around.
We downloaded this app to use on a long roadtrip. I loved not having to stop at every historical marker but still getting the info. I also used it to look ahead and see if there was a reason to stop.
So many markers!
I’ve been really enjoying this app. I’ve been able to pull it up pretty much anywhere I’ve been in NY and learn something new about the area. I really can’t recommend this enough.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: May 16, 2014
- Version: 3.1
- Size: 77.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Daniel Kocevski
- © 2014 Daniel Kocevski
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.