By Astrodantastic Software
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Thank you to everyone who wrote me about the recent bug that cause the app to crash when using location services in iOS 10. Version 3.5 should solve this problem!
Historical Markers displays the location and description of over 140,000 historic markers throughout North America. Access detailed plaque descriptions, photos, and links to online repositories of historical information. The app allows you to display markers near your current position or browse the entire marker catalog right on your device. Historical Markers contains thousands of markers with full plaque text from the Historical Marker Database (HMDB.org) as well as detailed place information for the entire U.S. National Registry of Historic Places.
Historical Markers is a perfect application for anyone interested in learning about the history around them, whether on travel or closer to home.
- Over 71,000 markers from the Historical Marker Database
- Over 76,000 markers from the U.S. National Registry of Historic Places
- Images of markers and surrounding areas
- GPS utility to display markers around your current location
- Text to speech engine to allow voice dictation of marker descriptions while on the road
- Area search for user specified address or city
- Comprehensive search utility to sort through markers
- Email marker information without leaving the app
- The ability to create a custom list of favorite markers
- Viewing history to help distinguish previously viewed markers
- Share favorited markers via Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms
- Offline database, allowing the app to work without an active data connection.
- User selectable search radius (for improved performance on older devices)
- Multithreading support for improved performance
- Native iPad support
Email us: email@example.com
Become a fan: http://www.facebook.com/historicalmarkersapp
Follow us: https://twitter.com/MarkersApp
I've implemented the ability to favorite individual markers and a feature to help distinguish previously viewed markers, as suggested in the reviews. If you would like to share more suggestions on how to improve the app, or if you encounter a bug, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet ideas and/or comments to @MarkersApp.
Also, please note that Historical Markers aggregates data from the Historical Marker Database and the U.S. National Registry of Historic Places. If a local marker is not in either of these databases, it will not appear in the app. If you would like to add a local marker to the Historical Marker Database, please visit http://www.hmdb.org. The ability to upload marker information and pictures directly from your iOS device is coming in a future release!
What's New in Version 3.5
- Fixed a major bug that would cause the app to crash when using location services in iOS 10
- Various other minor bug fixes
- HMDB marker updates
- NRHP marker updates
I'm so happy that I found this app. It's simple and works as advertised.
My wife and I use it on our road trips through the Appalachians and it's become an indespensible resource for learning about local history. I've written Dan (the author) a couple of times to report bugs and always recieved a quick response. My only suggestion would be to include the ability to upload new images of markers, but Dan tells me that feature is in the works, so fingers crossed.
It's a great app and definitely 5 out of 5 stars!
Update Fixed Recent Bug With iOS 10
The most recent update fixed the bug that prevented the app from being used in iOS 10 that people are complaining about in the comments. I've used the app on and off for a few years and the developer has always been quick to fix these kinds of problems. Overall it's a fun app if you like hunting for historical markers.
Best of the history apps
I've tried just about every historical marker app on the app store and this one is by far the best. It's easy to use and works as described. I'm using the app with my iPhone 7 with iOS 10.1 and it seems to work fine, so not sure what all the negative comments are about.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 19, 2016
- Version: 3.5
- Size: 254 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Daniel Kocevski
- © 2016 Daniel Kocevski
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.