By Midwest Tape, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Instantly borrow free digital movies, music, eBooks and more, 24/7 with your library card.
FREEDOM STARTS HERE, NOW.
Bringing you hundreds of thousands of movies, full music albums, audiobooks and more, hoopla is a revolutionary digital service made possible by your local library.
From Hollywood blockbusters to best selling artists and authors – not just the hits, but the niche and hard-to-find as well – you’ll soon discover that hoopla provides you the freedom you've been searching for to experience, explore and enjoy what you want, when you want, and where you want.
Simple to access and use, without the hassle of having to return the items you’ve borrowed, all you need is your library card, a web browser, smart phone or tablet to get started. The freedom you want is here, now. Sign up today!
What's New in Version 4.11
• We made sure to delete your downloaded content after being returned. We know storage space is a valuable thing so we fixed the issue.
• We allow rotating comics in Action View again. We understand how annoying that was and won't let it happen again.
• We [connection error] cleaned up “connection errors,” so they [connection error] aren't cluttering up [connection error] your screen.
• We fixed issues where genres were crashing the app. Feel free to browse again without interruptions.
• We added a skip backward/forward feature in audiobooks. Should make it much easier to skip back or ahead.
• We fixed the audio mini-player so it doesn't block anything.
My favorite audiobook service
The latest version, 4.11, crashes every time I open it. I know you will fix it soon, but I am in the middle of a book and this is very frustrating. That said, I really like The feature in Hoopla that enables me to check out any book in their holdings without having to be placed on the waiting list. Word of advice to new users: always use the bookmark feature when you are at a stopping point and need to use your phone for other things. Hoopla can forget where you stopped if you don't use this feature.
To the reviewer who complained that they could only borrow 6 titles per month, and couldn't keep the title on their device past the expiration date: the number of loans per month is governed by your library's contract. My library's current limit is 10 loans per month. You might ask your librarian if the loan limit can be increased when the contract is renewed, if they can afford that. As for the loan expiring before you are done, make sure you set the maximum loan period (3 weeks) as the default in the app's settings, and don't borrow more titles than you can read in the check-out period.
A very tiresome app
On the face of it, the Hoopla Digital app looks great. It's easy to find books (and movies, and albums) - and there are lots of them. So great content - the app fails in several ways though.
1. Having to "💙" something to mark it as something you'd like you read. Favorites is not the same as a proper wish list. A wish list - ("to read", whatever it might be called) and a "Read" option would be a better option than Favorites.
2. Those issues are minor though. Where I have huge issues with the app is in actual playback of an audiobook. The constant need to restart the application because the audio won't play, the annoying "couldn't connect to servers" message that requires that the app actually has to be opened - to clear the message then restart the playback - Which, as it so happens, also prevents you from using the headsets properly. These are the biggest pain, the constant thorn in the side of using this app.
3. Likewise - playing of an album is equally as tiring. The player locks up quite often (iOS 10), crashes and requires restart. When it doesn't, it also doesn't seem to keep your place in the album's playlist either.
Do I love the service? Yes. Makes the library better as well. But dear Lord, if the Audible app worked like this I would have dropped the service/application YEARS ago. This app has a way to go (in terms of reliability) before it's ready for prime time.
I listen to at least 1 audio book a week and this is my favorite app to use. However with the new version some weeks ago, I found that a setting that I regularly use resets each time. I usually listen to an audio book at 1.25x speed because for some reason, the voices in audio books seem to be slow. This option also allowed me to finish a book quicker than normal which is a good thing for me.
I listen to audio books on my way to and from work. I noticed after the upgrade some weeks ago that when I put the audiobook on 1.25x and get to a stopping point. When I go back to listening to the audio book later on, the speed still says 1.25x but the speed is played at the normal 1x speed. I know this is a minor annoyance but hopefully this can be fixed soon which will make an already good app better.