By Midwest Tape, LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Instantly borrow free digital movies, music, eBooks and more, 24/7 with your library card.
FREEDOM STARTS HERE, NOW.
Bringing you hundreds of thousands of movies, full music albums, audiobooks and more, hoopla is a revolutionary digital service made possible by your local library.
From Hollywood blockbusters to best selling artists and authors – not just the hits, but the niche and hard-to-find as well – you’ll soon discover that hoopla provides you the freedom you've been searching for to experience, explore and enjoy what you want, when you want, and where you want.
Simple to access and use, without the hassle of having to return the items you’ve borrowed, all you need is your library card, a web browser, smart phone or tablet to get started. The freedom you want is here, now. Sign up today!
What's New in Version 4.17
• Enhancements to the eBook reader.
Not bad but Glitchy
While on the whole, hoopla is a nice app to have, to easily borrow books from your library, constant glitches make it frustrating to use. Consistently it zonks out-after a couple of pages and especially after the end of a chapter, the app just stops. One has to click done, go back to menu and reopen the book. Updating the app has not helped. I am also not a fan of the 10 books per month limit. I prefer the “five books at a time” limits posed by other digital reader apps like Overdrive and Axis 360. Borrowing e-books is easy. I do find that often times it is quicker to borrow titles on hoopla than Overdrive. On the negative side, the book selection tends to be too heavily leaning on the romance/family genre. You won’t find books by many of the popular writers. You will however be able to discover authors you may not have tried before.
I love this app, I have three library cards and and although to utilize all my checkouts I have to have three different accounts it has a great audio book selection. I really wish they had a better filter for the books though. For a couple days/weeks they had a “people who checked this out also checked this out” which was so much more helpful than searching random similar author etc. They should also have a way to do a wish list, and a way to take books off of recommended. Currently I have listened to about 75% of my recommend list and don’t want to listen to the other 25%. I use over drive, audible and multiple hoopla accounts so my accounts don’t always know what I’ve listened to. Other wise it’s super easy to download books and then listen to them offline.
Absolutely enjoying this app. You can check out music and have it on your phone! You can check out audiobooks and have them on your phone! Much easier than going to the library and checking out physical copies. It is also nice that the items automatically return themselves so you don't have to keep track or worry about that. Only downside is it is limited to 8 items per month. I haven't tried it but it says even if you return items early, you can still only check out 8 per month. Whereas at the library you can check out and return and check out more so that's the only downside from my perspective. Enjoy!
- Category: Books
- Updated: Oct 13, 2017
- Version: 4.17
- Size: 52.3 MB
- Languages: English, French, Spanish
- Seller: Midwest Tape LLC
- © 2012 Midwest Tape, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes