By Culinate, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
••• With its easy-to-follow, photo-illustrated recipes and tips, this app will increase anyone's confidence in the kitchen. Makes a great gift too! •••
Cooking Basics brings an innovative way to learn essential skills and recipes for making great food. With 1,000 photos, 185 recipes, and audio and video tips from New York Times columnist Mark Bittman, it's like having him in the kitchen with you!
Developed from the bestselling book How to Cook Everything® The Basics, it’s perfect for anyone who wants to cook with more confidence and a great companion to the entire family of Bittman’s books and apps.
• Simple, straightforward, and gorgeously photographed recipes.
• An intuitive learn-as-you-go layout that allows you to pull up how-to demonstrations that expand on techniques used in the recipe.
• Tap-activated audio commentary from Mark.
• Ground-breaking, self-guided classes—each introduced with a video from Mark—that teach kitchen skills by exploring recipes in depth so you can eat while you learn. Classes are available only when the app is run on an iPad.
• A Basics section with easy-to-access reference that simplifies topics like setting up your pantry and buying and storing seafood.
• A Skills visual index linking to hundreds of demonstrations of core techniques such as “Preparing Chiles,” “Grinding Meat,” and “Crimping the Pie Shut.”
• Extensive linking, making navigation intuitive, whether you’re searching for something specific, or just browsing.
• The ability to make your own recipe notes and take and add photos as you cook, and then share them with friends via Twitter or Facebook.
• A convenient Constant On setting to keep your iPad screen from dimming while you’re working.
• Built-in, step-specific bookmarks and timers to help keep you on track.
• A Favorites folder to organize recipes for later access.
• Customizable shopping lists to make preparation a snap.
• Beyond the Basics links after every recipe that connect you to related dishes in other How to Cook Everything apps.
• Fully downloadable! Like all of the How to Cook Everything apps, Cooking Basics can be used anywhere, anytime, online or offline.
Reaction to How to Cook Everything The Basics:
“Mark Bittman has removed the last obstacle to simply great home cooking by including a foolproof, visual, and photographic follow-along component to all the basics. The result is a virtual preface to his seminal How to Cook Everything series.”
— Mario Batali, Chef, author, and restaurateur
“Before you can cook well you need to learn the basics. Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything The Basics will make you a better cook.”
— Tom Colicchio, Chef and owner of Craft Restaurants
“Had Mark published this book earlier, I would not have had to go to culinary school. This is a comprehensive guide to making delicious food.”
— David Chang, Chef/owner of the Momofuku restaurants, coauthor of Momofuku, and creator of Lucky Peach
What's New in Version 1.1
We've very happy to release this version, which adds support for the iPhone. iPhone users can now run the app and have full access to all the content with the exception of classes, which remain available only on the iPad.
- Add support for iPhone
- Numerous optimizations and improvements
Bittman in good form, app clever
I downloaded this and immediately used it. I am a reasonably accomplished home cook, but found some tips and ideas here that will get me back in the kitchen. A-, because it isn't perfect. Recipes are mostly quick and easy to execute, and explanations are precise enough so that the cook can feel good about trying them. Bittman's voice is good to hear, too, on occasion. Recommended for every level except the very very advanced.
I seldom give a 5 STAR rating because there's always room for improvement but this app is FANTASTIC!! From the Basics and Skills to the demos in every recipe, this app couldn't be any better!!! WELL DONE Mark Bittman and Culinate, Inc.
Just wanted to say thanks for a great and informative app. Love cooking and this app help a lot.
Always room for improvement,a little more videos showing the cooking process.
Aloe in Saint Lucia.
- Category: Food & Drink
- Updated: Jul 10, 2013
- Version: 1.1
- Size: 255 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Culinate, Inc.
- © 2013-2014 Culinate, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.