Mac App Store

Mac App Store is the simplest way to find and download apps for your Mac.

To download HTTP Client from the Mac App Store, you need a Mac with OS X 10.6.6 or later. Learn More.

HTTP Client

By Celestial Teapot Software

Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.


A Mac OS X developer tool for debugging HTTP services by graphically creating and inspecting complex HTTP messages.


* HTTP Basic Authentication (with Keychain integration)
* Custom HTTP request headers with prepopulated names and values (date format strings and most popular User-Agent strings)
* Supports sending request bodies with POST or PUT
* Follow or ignore redirects
* Optional syntax highlighting (changeable in Preferences)
* Optional text wrap (changeable in Preferences)
* Each HTTP Client window is a document that can be saved as a .httpclient file and reopened later

What's New in Version 1.0.3

Improved stability on Mac OS X Lion.


Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

Customer Reviews

Simple, but limited and buggy.

I am an API developer building RESTful services that mobile devices must consume. With that being said, I hoped that I could use HTTP Client and forget my cURL-fu. I was correct, but only if you don't need to do anything at all complicated. The functionality that allows you to add Headers basically doesn't work. You have to double click fields to edit them even though they are text boxes. The list of HTTP methods(PUT/POST/GET/PATCH/DELETE/etc) you can use doesn't actually have anything in it so you have to auto-complete the value. It could render the response much prettier for JSON/XML/etc. When you save a version to distrubute to other people for debugging, you can't edit the content of that file so it is useless if you have anything at all related to authentication in your request. While it has a nice interface, and it gives you 60% of the things you need, I'd skip it for the other missing 40% and just deal with cURL. Don't be scared of man(1). Todd should just open source the application and let people who use it work on it to extend it and make it better. The last release was 8 months ago for a tool that could be extremely powerful.

Works for HTML pages

Although its an HTTP sniffing client it doesn't work very well with binary files. The load on the mac shoots up such that it becomes unresponsive. A Force-Quit is needed to get the mac back to sanity.

I suspect that the program is trying to render the (large) binary file in its window. The reason why I bought this application is that I think that my content type headers are not set correctly so I wanted a quick way to see the type and hence figure out my multi-media file was not working in the browser. The irony is that the tool to display the header is getting confused by the content that the header is meant to describe. I worked aroudn this by creating a short text file with the multi-media file extension to see the headers. It would have been nice if there was an option to not attempt to render the content and just show the headers.

Simple & cheap, but minor bugs make it frustrating.

I like that it's simple & cheap - it gets the job done without making you think.

There are minor, weird bugs that make it very frustrating for prolonged use. It tells me I have a zero length response from my server when the body is empty and doesn't show me the response headers, which is what I want for those types of responses. I've experienced weird issues selecting and editing the request headers… sometimes it just doesn't let me edit them. One thing that's a real pain is if your server is hanging, this app becomes unresponsive and takes forever to timeout - there's no way to cancel the request.

Despite the annoyances, it's still simple and works well-enough for 3-star OK.

HTTP Client
View in Mac App Store
  • $1.99
  • Category: Developer Tools
  • Updated:
  • Version: 1.0.3
  • Size: 0.8 MB
  • Language: English
  • Seller:

Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later

Customer Ratings

Current Version:
All Versions: