Hum combines lyric-writing, note-taking, and audio recording into a single app for capturing and organizing all your songwriting ideas. Hum keeps your lyrics and song ideas organized and sortable so you never lose anything again. Hum keeps everything backed up and in sync with Dropbox.
• Tag and sort any of your lyrics and riffs by key, tuning, tonality, color, and mood.
• Share your ideas via email or iMessage.
• Import audio from other apps.
• Keep a page of notes for each song, separate from your lyrics.
• Play your ideas straight from the library—no need to tap into a song to audition your ideas.
• Keep organized with folders
• Keep your library backed up and in sync with Dropbox.
• Stay in tune with a built-in tuner.
If you’ve enjoyed using Hum, please leave a review.
Added in 1.11.5
Fixed - We fixed a concurrency issue with how we were saving data
Fixed - We no longer show table row edit actions when playing a song
Improved - Removed a ton of UI logic that was no longer used in current versions of Hum
Improved - We now show a confirmation when you delete a folder, restore from the trash, or delete something permanently
Improved - We now close the keyboard when you’re done searching
Improved - We’ve re-implemented out swipe actions, making it harder to accidentally permanently delete a Hum.
Added in 1.11.4
Fixed - Hum will no longer crash if you don’t have email setup on your device.
Fixed - There was a rare case where Hums would disappear if you synced Hum to multiple devices over the years. This show stopper of a bug has been fixed.
Fixed - We now automatically restart the syncing engine after sync failures and retry.
Fixed - There was a crash when generating a waveform.
Improved - Much more logging and testing has been added to our syncing engine.
Improved - There are now confirmation messages when moving a Hum into the trash or a folder.
Improved - Checkmarks throughout the app have been made more consistent.
Improved - Some Trash user interface logic has been improved.
Added in 1.11.3
Improved - Syncing should be a bit more robust
Fixed - The placement of the Done button when editing your library was goofy.
Added in 1.11.2
Added - You can now ask Siri to “add a new Hum.” It's amazing!
Added in 1.11.1
Fixed - Disabling Dropbox syncing works better.
Added in 1.11
Added - Folders. You can now add Hums to folders to further keep things organized.
Ratings and Reviews
Grateful for Hum
I have been a hard core, verbally supportive user of Songwriter HD for gong on 4 years. I talked countless songwriters into buying it, and now, unfortunately, the developers sold it to someone who is not updating and has no intention of updating. Getting notifications from Apple and Dropbox Songwriter HD will soon be useless. I get no response from anyone when I look for answers.
Thankfully there is an heir to the throne with Hum. Does everything it should do and everything it claims to do. This is the new songwriter's dream and my new go-to tool. The price absolutely can't be beat for all it does. I am very picky about the app I use for writing my songs, and believe me, if I have suggestions for improvement, I hound the company. For now, though, Hum is on the right track. I hope they plan on sticking around. It says this is iPhone only, but it works on my iPad Pro, it just looks weird. All my support is here. If you are a songwriter in need of an app for writing, Hum is the way to go.
A Great Start
I am also a long time user of the Songwriter app as well as SongHub. The Hum app is very simple and easy to use but lacks some key features that would make it a great songwriting app.
What I Like
1. It's simple and easy to use.
2. Clean modern design.
3. My favorite feature is the notes section. This is a feature that I have never seen in any other songwriting app. It gives you a place to try new lyrics and lines without messing up the basic lyrics you already have. If you could see some of my works in progress, you would understand why I love this.
1. Folders so you can have your Ideas, In Progress and Completed songs separated instead of all bunched together.
2. The ability to create song sections within a song that can be rearranged.
3. The ability to hide the recorder at the bottom to give you more screen real estate.
4. An iPad version with syncing to use when performing.
This is my first take and I will probably update this review once I get more time with it. Enjoy!
Updated review- thanks for the fix
I’m updating my review. The developer appears to have fixed the issue where lyrics and recordings were getting deleted. I’m grateful for that so thanks for being responsive! I’m back to using the app regularly.
Audio import from other apps, such as Files, doesn’t seem to be working like it used to but for me that’s not a deal breaker.
The only thing that I wish the app had, that I learned was invaluable from other songwriting apps, is the ability to record multiple takes within the same entry. When Hum has that it will be practically perfect.
Other than that, it’s back to being the simple and organized songwriting tool that it was before and I would recommend it to any songwriter.
- Just Hum LLC
- 63.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Just Hum, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Hum Tuner $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.