Hurricane by American Red Cross
By American Red Cross
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
**One of the top 6 hurricane tracking apps - CNN**
**Readers’ Pick: Most innovative and useful hurricane app – FastCompany**
**One of 5 apps to get you through a natural disaster – Fox News**
**Top Apps of the Week (11/3/12) – ABC News**
**Top Apps of the Week (10/29/12) - MediaBistro**
**Top App of the week (9/2/12) - Appolicious**
Be ready for severe weather with Hurricane by American Red Cross. Monitor conditions in your area or throughout the storm track, prepare your family and home, find help and let others know you are safe – a must have for anyone who lives in an area where a hurricane may strike or has loved ones who do.
Ahora disponible en español.
• Free and available in English and Spanish.
• Step-by-step instructions let you know what to do even before/during/after the storm, even if no data connectivity.
• Track the path of a hurricane with our interactive storm tracker displaying where the app has been and where it’s predicted to go.
• Monitor, hurricane, flood & tornado-related weather conditions in your area or those of loved-ones with various map layers and location-based notifications for the U.S. and its territories.
• Customizable alerting and push notification options.
• Easy to view alert feed with the ability to remove alerts.
• Let family and friends know you are okay with the customizable “I’m Safe” alert for Facebook, Twitter, email and text.
• Find open Red Cross shelters in your area when you need help.
• Stay safe when the lights are out with the Hurricane Toolkit, including a strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions.
• Prepare for the worst by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation.
• Empower your family to stay safe and remain calm in an emergency by learning how to make and practice an emergency plan.
• Earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your hurricane knowledge with interactive quizzes.
• See an illustrated history of hurricanes in your area.
• Learn the difference between a hurricane warning and watch.
• Know how to what to do about food and drinking water when your area has been impacted by floods and power outages.
What's New in Version 3.2.1
• Performance & stability improvements
• Adds ability to set monitored location radius to 250 miles
• Fixes bug where some users could not set radius
• Bottom bar is now hidden when viewing alert details
• Various minor bug fixes and improvements
This app + ARC Tornado: Worth Having
Although my county also has a weather event text message alert system that makes the ARC apps a little redundant, I like having these apps.
Their biggest downcheck is that they are dependent on having some kind of data access, either cell or wifi. Thus, if you have no data plan, and you're not presently camped out at home/Starbucks/Panera/etc, well then, you get to be surprised when the tornado blows you & Toto away to Kansas.
On the other hand, the apps provide some level of training & prep guidance.
Also the built-in on-demand sirens are good for waking the kids up.
Used to like this app, but...
When I first got this app, I really liked it. But every time they do an update on it, I like it less and less. They do alert me every time a storm status is updated, but it's just a quick and short notification on my screen. When I go to the app to get more details, I can only get the same blurb with the same very limited information. Yes, I like that I can use the Tracker tab to see where the storm is at that moment. But I want to hv more detailed info about the alerts and storm track position updates. I used to be able to get that with the app originally.
Helpful tool living in Caribbean
Really helpful for tracking hurricanes, their paths, and projections and also for identifying Red Cross shelters in case of emergency. I only don't like that they don't put the name of the storm on the tracker. It just says the status. Some features aren't really super useful on a regular basis, but the tracking feature is nice.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Jun 13, 2016
- Version: 3.2.1
- Size: 57.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: American Red Cross
- Copyright © 2012-2014 The American National Red Cross
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.