I Learn Chinese - Read and Write Characters
By YOYASOFT LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This application introduces Chinese characters to non-native speakers or young kids in a fun and intuitive way: to understand their origins as pictures of the objects they represent.
For example, the Chinese character for Sun was originally a circle with a dot in its center. It has evolved over the history, but you can still find traces of its original shape.
Besides explaining the picture meanings, this application also demonstrates the correct way of pronouncing and writing the characters. It even let you practice on your iPhone side by side with the demonstration. You'll find that you will be able to read and write dozens of Chinese characters in no time!
Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
* An introduction covering the basics of the Chinese language, including its grammar, stroke order rules, the Simplified and Traditional Chinese, and so on.
* Featured character are organized into categories and are introduced with their picture origins.
* The Progressive Study mode allows you to learn most common Chinese characters first and to measure your understanding with carefully selected questions in tests.
* An index page of characters listed in alphabetical order, with search functionality. Users can search with character's pinyin, Chinese writing, or the English meanings.
* Recorded Character sound
* Character writing demonstrations and practice screens. You can practice writing Chinese characters right on your device screen!
* This application runs on iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad, which means you only need to buy once and use on all your devices!
"Dam good ***** - This app organizes the most commonly used Chinese symbols in an orderly, accessible fashion." - by Push926
"Fun and Easy! *****" - by Ryan1223432
"Very helpful. I am looking forward for more updates! *****" - by Nightreaver
"This App is Awesome! *****" - by RebeccaTVS
"Awesome! Thanks! Love the historical info because it all makes so much more sense. *****" - by Jondailey
What's New in Version 2.2.6
* Added a new unit 23 of 25 characters to Progressive Study
* iOS 7 compatibility
Helpful in Learning Characters
This will not teach a person the Chinese language, but it makes a handy reference when one is working with pinyin and wants to see what the real words are. The progressive study has the worthy goal of quickly familiarizing a novice with Chinese text to make it less intimidating. The percentage learned status displayed here is deceptive, however. I have completed enough levels supposedly to be able to recognize over 60% of characters in typical text, but from my experiments with Chinese newspapers, it is closer to about 40%. The number of errors in the English text also increases in the later progressive lessons as if less proofreading were being done. An amusing example is where a bride is described as "newly web."
One of my top ten Chinese apps
I can practice writing, and self test. The background information on the characters is useful for memory retention. The app works great, and I find myself reaching for it at least 2 times a week.
I love it
- Category: Education
- Updated: Oct 02, 2013
- Version: 2.2.6
- Size: 21.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: YOYASOFT LLC
- © Jay X. Zhang
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.