I, Trixie Who Is Dog is an interactive story book for kids about a happy Dog, and how he describes the role of various animals in his life written by Dean Koontz, illustrated by Janet Cleland. (iPad Lite version; by Auryn Apps)
By Auryn Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
★★ Winner of TillyWig Awards 2012 ★★
Not everyone can be a dog. Some must be people. Some must be cats, or birds, or even skunks, although it's hard to explain why anyone would want to be a skunk. But Trixie is happy, because she does get to be a dog - the best thing there is to be. The food, the belly rubs… if only she could drive, her life would be perfect!
Bestselling author Dean Koontz gives readers a fun, lighthearted glimpse into the imagination of Trixie, his beloved golden retriever, whose quirky narration and irrepressible spirit will delight readers young and old.
I, Trixie who is dog is a part of the Auryn line from Auryn Inc. and is based on Dean Koontz’ book by the same name.
▶ KEY EDUCATIONAL THEMES:
-Learn about the roles of various animals like cows, sheep, etc. in our lives
-Encourage kids to color each page with their favorite color
-Learn about dogs and the activities they do.
▶ EXTEND THE LEARNING! ASK YOUR CHILD:
-Point out to various animals on each page and ask “Name the animal in the picture”
-“What is the role of sheep or a cow?” Introduce new animals to the kids.
-“What sound does a cow make?”
▶ ENHANCE CREATIVITY BY PERSONALIZING THE STORY:
- You can write your own version of the text for the book
- Customize your illustrations, children can paint the background, characters on every page with their favorite colors.
- Personalize the narration: kids or parents can re-record the narration to make it their own!
▶ DEVELOP READING SKILLS WITH THESE LITERACY TOOLS:
- Image and word association vocabulary builder - when an image on the screen is touched, the associated word is spoken and the written word is displayed.
- Karaoke effect - when a word is spoken during narration then the word is highlighted.
- Touch a word to hear it being spoken in “Read Myself” mode (almost like “training wheels” for new readers)
▶ THREE WAYS TO READ THE BOOK:
1) "Read to me" - Listen to the narrated story while the text is displayed Karaoke style. After the narration finishes on a page the child can interact with objects until they are ready to move to the next page.
2) "Auto Play" - same as "Read to Me" except the page advances automatically once the narration is finished. Useful for those long car rides when you want the child to have a complete book experience.
3) "Read myself" - There is no narration but the child can touch a word to hear it being spoken aloud.
The lite version contains the first six pages of the original app with all the functionalities. The user also gets an overview of rest of the pages in thumbnail format.
Please rate and review the app. Your feedback means a lot to us!
Stay in the loop: www.auryn.com
Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Like us: Facebook.com/aurynapps
Follow us: Twitter.com/aurynapps
Follow us: Pinterest.com/appsbyauryn
What's New in Version 1.0.2
Bug fix and Optimizations
I Trixie who is dog
Delightful and charming! Dean Koontz personally introduces his dog Trixie, who he adopted from Canine Companions for Independence. His message to kids: Trixie added Magic to his life!
The pages are colorful and magical too. Kids can read it themselves or listen to the audio version. If they Touch a word or picture the book will pronounce it for them. Kids can color over them or add their own pictures. They can record over the story too or change Trixie's name to their own Dog's name. Then they can even send "their story" to their friends and family.
The story: Trixie tells us why she loves being a dog instead of a cat or a cow or a . . . Unfortunately, it stops when it gets to the next page. You have to pay $3.99 for the rest of the book!
Fortunately, it's worth every penny for the marvelous message of celebrating the joy that pets bring to our lives! Even if your children can't have a pet, this is one of the tools you can use to teach your kids to love pets. They will enjoy the book activities over and over. It's a winner! (A 9-year old I know reads this over and over and prefers it to games.)
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 18, 2013
- Version: 1.0.2
- Size: 141 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Auryn, Inc
- © 2011 Auryn Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- Full Application$3.99