By Information Architects Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“Beautiful and Simple” – The Guardian
“Out-innovated Apple” — Fast Company
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Convert Markdown to Microsoft® Word .docx, and back again
- Auto Markdown subtly formats your text on-screen without taking your hands off the keyboard
- Focus Mode helps you write one sentence at a time, one thought at a time
- Reading Time tells you how long it takes to read your text
A better tool doesn’t make a better craftsman, but a good tool makes working a pleasure.
- Focus Mode
- Full Screen
- Auto Markdown
- Reading Time, plus word and character count
- Custom typeface, carefully set for optimal readability
- Easy-to-find strong blue cursor
- Real-time iCloud sync with folder support
- Ready for Retina displays
- Formatted HTML preview
- Markdown ⇄ Microsoft® Word .docx converter
1. Writer has no settings: with Writer you cannot fumble with fonts and colors. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin alphabet languages plus Chinese, Japanese, Greek, and Russian are officially supported (no Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc. support… yet).
3. Writer uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md, in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit https://ia.net/writer/mac for information about iA Writer for Mac
- Visit https://ia.net/writer/support/ for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you!
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 2.1.3
- Improved contextual menu for URLs
- Stability improvements
- Performance improvements
If you like iA Writer, please leave a review or a rating. It helps a lot.
Please let us know at ia.net/writer/support or on Twitter @iawriter
As a full time student this app has made writing long papers so much easier. When you aren’t distracted by fonts and settings it becomes much easier to be productive. I love the focus mode ability it makes it much easier to edit sentence by sentence and is also helpful for those who get easily overwhelmed by writing. I do wish that there was a countdown-wordcount feature this is something that isn’t available anywhere for writers, but is heavily demanded. It would be imensely helpful in projects where I have to write a minimum wordcount or stay under a minimum wordcount. I know that techincally you can do this in your head with the typical wordcount but the additional feature would be nice.
Best writing app out there
I love this app. It just feels great to write in. I have tried every other app (almost everyone) and none of them come close to the experience. It just feels comfortable and I can just concentrate on what I am doing.
Only thing I would REALLY like to see is exporting styles. I tried the new Ulysses because of that feature so I could write a paper for school and automatically format to Chicago style of formatting but I just couldn’t get past the fact that IA writer is so much better. If I could export in different formatting styles that would be great.
I thought creating an outline would be super simple. I found the menu item saying “Ordered list". I created a list. Designated the first items as number one and assumed the list would automatically number all items from them on. Wrong. Each item was numbered “1.” I have not yet found the key to creating a numbered list, nor understanding where and how I create and very simple outline.
My rating on this software app is “1"