“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” ***** The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” ***** The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” ***** WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds.
When you tap and hold a key in the command keyboard, you’re given the chance to choose your own layout. Rearrange your keys, or pick new ones from the extensive list.
You can open documents and launch frequent actions in no time with the new Quick Search. It lives in the keyboard so it’s always close at hand.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
This update fixes a few small bugs. It includes all the great features in iA Writer 5.1:
- Write #tags to group files
- Use in Quick Search and Smart Folders
- All hashtags are shown in Library view
- Hide hashtags from Preview and PDFs in Templates settings
- If you’re writing an article about a hashtag and want it to look like text, just put a backslash before the hash sign \#TalkLikeAPirateDay
# Improved Smart Folders
- Filter your files using a variety of rules including text searches, file extensions, hashtags, parent and ancestor paths, absolute and relative dates
- Automatically sync across your devices
# URL Commands
- x-callback-url support for commands to create and open documents
- Added authenticated x-callback-url commands to read and write files
- Added documentation (tap ? icon in URL Commands settings)
# Free Candy
- Duplicate items in Library
- Always use keyboard popover on iPads in Editor settings
- Hide keyboard bars when a hardware keyboard is connected in Editor settings
- STIX 2.0 fonts for math expressions in Preview
- HTML tags are dimmed in Editor
- Improved library performance
- Keyboard accessory with find bar shows expected buttons after switching to another document
- SVG images are always displayed as pictures when used as content blocks
- Favorite files on iOS respect the setting to show extension
- Code blocks are excluded from text stats
- Dictation alternatives are shown on tap in Editor
If you like the updates, please leave us a rating on the App Store. It helps a lot.
Ratings and Reviews
When we want to hunker down and type without distraction, one of our favorite resources is iA Writer. Substantially updated since its initial release, this writing app offers a customizable keyboard, selective text highlighting, iCloud sync, and many other features we’ve come to depend on. Plus, a streamlined interface lets you simply swipe left to preview a document and swipe right to access your library. The entire experience is designed to be quick and easy so you can focus on your work.
The perfect markdown editor
There’s nothing I can say bad about iA Writer. Love the app in every way.
First off, the app creates individual files in iCloud so that you can access them anytime should you decide to move to another MD editor. It has hashtags, favorites (for quick access to your directories or files), smart tags, sorting, preview, and more. And NO subscriptions. Runs on all my devices, MacBook, iPad, iPhone (and if you have an Android that too!)
I’ve tried all the MD editors, Editorial (still a 2nd favorite), Bear, and others. The problem with Bear (besides the subscription) is that if you decide to move to another editor you’ll have to export the files that are stored in a database sync’d to iCloud. The export may not be what you are looking for. Editorial is great except you’ll require Dropbox as it doesn’t support iCloud. IA Writer has them all beat.
I’ve even moved off of DayOne as my journaling app and am using iA Writer for all my journals.
I did have a problem with one of my devices not syncing with the others after I fiddled with my iPad time. The iA Writer team wasn’t much help. They said it was an iCloud sync issue (which it was) but couldn’t help me at all. I found the answer by trial and error. Just turned off the iCloud Drive sync, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on again. Viola. No issues at all. (It would have been nice if the iA Writer folks had been more helpful instead of claiming ignorance and deferring the problem to Apple.)
One suggestion: Provide password protection. (They’ve said it’s coming)
Bad Dropbox integration
Creating a file on Dropbox requires lots of work. Integration used to be good but they ruined it. If your connectivity is spotty the app will make you crazy.
Why using that ugly modal to browse Dropbox ?
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. We are still waiting for Dropbox to support folder synching on iOS, so on iOS Dropbox can be used like on Mac OS. The stability issue you experienced is also tied to the Dropbox integration. Our hands are tied there. However, we do have built a backup functionality, because Dropbox is unstable. Go to Root > From Other Apps and click on the backup icon with the clock and the back arrow. All your non-iCloud documents are constantly saved there, even if Dropbox doesn't synch them.
- Information Architects GmbH
- 31.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010–2018 Information Architects GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.