By iA Labs GmbH
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“Beautiful and simple” ***** The Guardian
“Everything goes away except for the writing experience” ***** Stephen Fry
“Writer has out-innovated Apple” ***** Fast Company
Best of App Store 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015
# Unmatched Writing Experience
iA Writer is designed to provide the best digital writing experience: Keep your hands on the keyboard and your mind in the text.
# Swipe Right to Library
With a swipe to the right you have easy access to all your texts in one place.
# Swipe Left to Preview
iA Writer consciously separates form and content. It optimizes plain text writing while offering stellar formatted export—with world class typography.
# Customizable Keyboard Bar
Tap and hold Keyboard Bar keys for an extra level of options. Continue holding to rearrange your keys, and tap to customize.
# Focus Mode and Syntax Control
iA Writer is famous for offering a deeper focus on your text. Its unique tools improve your writing style by honing your concentration: One sentence at a time, or by highlighting different parts of speech.
# All Your Documents on All Your Devices
With seamless Dropbox and iCloud sync, iA Writer keeps your documents safe and at hand on whatever device you are using when inspiration strikes.
- Configurable Keyboard Bar
- Convert formatting to Microsoft® Word .docx, and back again
- Also export formatting to HTML and beautifully styled PDF
- Share to WordPress and Medium
- Synchronized scrolling Markdown Preview
- Beautiful Preview templates with curated fonts
- Real-time iCloud and Dropbox sync
- Focus Mode fades all but the current sentence, for maximum concentration
- Full-text search for iCloud documents
- In-document Find and Replace
- Auto Markdown formats text on-screen
- Night Mode
- Reading Time; plus sentence, word, and character count
- Customized for Retina displays
- Handoff support
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you…
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 3.2.1
# Custom Templates
- Preview, create PDFs, and print documents in your own style
- Add your own templates via AirDrop
- Open templates and template archives in iA Writer from Mail or iCloud Drive
- Download extra templates from [iA Writer’s Web Site](https://ia.net/writer/templates)
- Learn more about templates in Help
# Page Breaks
- Add page breaks to printed documents and PDFs
- Insert with `+++` on an empty line
# Title Pages
- Print and export PDFs with a title page
- Default templates show document name and author on the title page
- Set the author in Preferences
# Other Improvements
- Added option to change default file extension in Settings
- Updated to MultiMarkdown 5.3
- Fixed buttons titles when resolving conflicts
- Fixed an issue where preview scrolled to top top after changing a template
# Recent Improvements
- Share to WordPress and Medium (Add an account in Settings)
- iCloud Version Browser
- Focus Mode for Paragraphs
- Support for MultiMarkdown’s Table of Contents
- Advanced search syntax: quoted phrases, logical operators. Learn more in Help
- [x] Tap tasks to mark as completed
If you like the updates, please leave us a rating on the App Store. It helps a lot.
We’re always listening to your feedback on Twitter @iAWriter.
The one-star review claiming it "won't automatically import previous docs" isn't accurate. If they are in Dropbox, it will access them, although doing so isn't as clear as it should be. When you try to link to Dropbox, it allows the switch to turn green but gives a message that's not readable on a small iPhone 5 screen. What users need to do is explained on a webpage:
To use Dropbox with iA Writer for iOS, first link your Dropbox account inside iA Writer
1. In the Library, tap the Settings button
2. Tap Add Dropbox account, then Allow.
That should have been handled better inside the app. At least make that error message readable on older iPhones.
Note to Developers: With my primary writing tool, Scrievner for iOS, coming out in a few days I questioned whether I needed this upgrade. The developers need to be aware that Scrivener will be offering them some serious competition among book writers. I would suggest either expanding into areas that Scrivener does not handle (i.e. epub export) or adding Scrivener's binder-like features to iA Writer, so it can handle a book, chapter by chapter.
The only app you need
This app has gotten so much better. The text analyzing features and the better icons have really saved it from the weird no icon thing. I don't love the file browser, but if you need something like that I would imagine it's great stuff.
I keep coming back to this one
So pleased. The updates and improvements keep me coming back.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jun 23, 2016
- Version: 3.2.1
- Size: 20.6 MB
- Languages: English, German, Japanese
- Seller: iA Labs GmbH
- © 2016 iA Labs GmbH
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.