Writer Pro: Note, Write, Edit, Read
By iA Labs GmbH
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
The writing machine.
“Writer Pro maximizes the minimalist text editor” — The Verge
“Great design elegantly reduces cognitive load” — Michael Lopp
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Syntax Control™: Highlight superfluous adjectives and adverbs, find weak verbs, spot repetitive nouns and eliminate false conjunctions. English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish text only.
- Note - Write - Edit - Read: Workflow states to focus on the task at hand, each with the ideal typeface and color.
ESSENTIAL, EASY TO USE INTERFACE
- A Sidebar for quick access to Writer Pro’s tools
- Custom typefaces, carefully set for optimal readability
- No settings to distract
- Sentence Syntax Control fades all but the current sentence, for maximum concentration
- Convert formatting to Microsoft® Word 2007 .docx, and back again
- Auto-Markdown formats text on-screen
- Night Mode
- Formatted preview
- Real-time iCloud sync
- Reading time, plus sentence, word, and character count
- Ready for Retina displays
- Full screen
1. Writer avoids formatting settings. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin alphabet languages plus Chinese, Japanese, Greek, and Russian are officially supported (no Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc. support… yet).
3. Writer uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md, in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit www.writer.pro for information about Writer
- Visit support.writer.pro for support and feedback
We look forward to hearing from you…
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 1.1.2
WHAT’S NEW IN 1.1.2
- Fixed Add Link bug
- Performance improvements
WHAT’S NEW IN 1.1: FEATURES
- Night Mode (Control-Command-N)
- MultiMarkdown for Preview, Export, and Print
- Includes syntax for: footnotes, tables, and more…
- Format Menu and shortcuts
- Optimized Print Formatted
- Optimized Preview
- URL Schemes for creating documents
- Read Workflow state no longer shows formatting characters
- Faster and smarter Auto-Markdown
- Smarter bold, italics, and strikethrough
- Basic block selection support
- Restoring selection
- Strikethrough now uses double tildes (`~~strikethrough~~`)
If you like Writer Pro, please leave a review or a rating. It helps a lot.
Let us know at support.writer.pro or on Twitter @iawriter
My favorite writing app
I love the syntax focus in this app. The minimalist design is perfect and lets me focus on just writing. I hide the sidebar and move into fullscreen mode. As a web developer who values responsive design, I appreciate how the text size increases along with the window size. Night mode is a great addition for those times when I wake up with a flash of awesome that needs to be written down in the middle of the night. After buying the iPad version, I tend to use it more than the Mac version. The iCloud sync makes the transition from desktop to mobile and back a breeze.
The only improvement I would love to see is the ability to map multiple “notes” into a single “write” while maintaining the ability to reorder the notes (inside the write) later. I’m not sure how they could pull that off using only markdown files, though. Seems like it would take a programming miracle, so I’m not taking any stars off for that one.
I love this app. The only feature request I would like still is the function to define a standard amount of characters per line. There are a series of newsrooms that still commission texts by number of lines and not by number of words or characters. In these cases, the number of standard characters per line varies from newsroom to newsroom. This is a minor issue, though. The app is great. Helps me to focus. (disclosure: I know some of its developers.)
Great App, I get how to use it now
I bought this app and the corresponding app for my iPad mini, connected them to iCloud, and played around with them a bit.
I was reading this book called A Writer’s Coach by Jack Hart, the chapter on Method and Process, and a light came on in my head, and then I totally understood your app. I not only get it, I think what you guys have done is really great.
I think the book that you mentioned, the source of your phosilophy of the river, tributaries, ocean, whatnot, is a bit convoluted and maybe something is lost in translation for Americans. Maybe it’s a cultural thing. But the book I mentioned, A writer’s Coach, says it much better, in a way that came across to me immediately, and I thought of your app as the light came on in my head.
Great job. 5 stars, for now.