“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” ***** The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” ***** The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” ***** WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds without leaving the window.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
This update fixes a few small bugs. It includes all the great features in iA Writer 5.1:
- Write #tags to group files
- Use in Quick Search and Smart Folders
- All hashtags are shown in Organizer and Go menu
- Hide hashtags from Preview and PDFs in Templates preferences
- If you’re writing an article about a hashtag and want it to look like text, just put a backslash before the hash sign \#TalkLikeAPirateDay
# Smart Folders
- Filter your files using a variety of rules including text searches, file extensions, hashtags, parent and ancestor paths, absolute and relative dates
- Use a custom sort order
- Automatically sync across your devices
- Get automatic keyboard shortcuts in Go menu
# URL Commands
- Updated commands to create and open documents
- Added authenticated x-callback-url commands to read and write files
- Manage URL commands in General preferences
# Dark Mode on macOS Mojave
- Updated to match system look
- System light and dark state is matched by default
- Switch to manually managing state in General preferences
# Free Candy
- Added navigation controls to Library in full screen windows
- Assign custom display names to Library Locations in Organizer
- Rename Favorites in Organizer
- Duplicate items in Library
- Go > Enclosing Folder menu
- Fixed an issue where images couldn’t be dragged to Editor from Safari, Photos, and other apps
- Added STIX 2.0 fonts for math expressions in Preview
- HTML tags are dimmed in Editor
- Hide Favorites, Smart Folders, or Hashtags sections from Organizer and Go menu in Library preferences
- Improved library performance and reduced memory usage
- SVG images are always displayed as pictures when used as content blocks
- Code blocks are excluded from text stats
If you like the updates, please leave us a rating on the Mac App Store. It helps a lot.
Ratings and Reviews
I write more frequently because of this app.
I basically threw my money at the computer as soon as I saw a desktop version of iA Writer existed. The iOS version had already captured me, and being able to move between phone and computer was just what I needed. Every feature is built for writers, from easy and beautiful PDF exports to cloud storage to starting with a blank document ready as soon as the program opens. My favorite way to use it is in full-screen mode with Night Mode turned on, nothing but my words in white on a dark screen. I use iA Writer every day, and I’d go so far as to say that it’s made me a more productive writer, just because it has simplified the writing process for me so effectively. (It’s also been good to see it improve over time with smart and continuous updates, and my one and only request for support was answered quickly and solved easily.)
In short: I write more now that I have iA Writer on my machine, and I have never used a more elegant writing app. I’d give it 10 stars if I could.
Developer Response ,
Feedback like this is why we do what we do. Learning that people enjoy writing more because of our app is why we get up every morning looking forward to improve our app even more. In essence "Every feature is built for writers… it’s made me a more productive writer" was the initial vision for iA Writer, in a nutshell. It's beautiful to hear what we intended to achieve those who use our app daily. Thank you.
So much better than Ulysses. Plus a reccomendation for IA writer dev team
IA Writer is SO much better than Ulysses in terms of the writing/typing/composition interface. And the settings actually work and make sense. I tried and tried and tried to make Ulysses look half as good as IA writer on the screen, but despite being more expensive, that program is flawed.
★★ Here is a strong reccommendation for the IA Writer dev team however: when there is a conflict between documents (saved versions), it is pretty hard to decipher the differences between them using only the tiny images and timestamps provided. Of course the ideal would be a text comparison (which is easy given we’re dealing with plain text), or at least you should be able to scroll through the contents of each before committing, or having to save them all. I and more than a few users I know have lost valuable revisions because of this.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind words and the considerate feedback. You are absolutely right. A better comparison would indeed improve the app. We'd like that, too. It's on our list of things we'd like to do in the future.
It's a good writing app!
I've very much enjoyed using this application to write. I bought it ages ago when I had a few extra dollars in credit on the iTunes store, and it's served perfectly as a space where I could draft emails, journal my thoughts, and write responses to surveys before actually entering them into forms. It's also been incredibly useful when it comes to character and word count assignments, given it's handy and easily-viewable bar at the bottom that takes no extra effort to access. It is not the main way I write, but it has given me a place to write away from Word and Google Docs, and aesthetically, it feels very pressure-free. If you're looking for something to use that is outside the realm of popular writing apps and feels comfortable and simple to use, I'd recommend it. It definitley has more uses than I use it for, but its simplicity is there if you want it.
- Information Architects GmbH
- 8 MB
- OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010–2018 Information Architects GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.