“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” ***** The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” ***** The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” ***** WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds without leaving the window.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
This update fixes a few small bugs. It includes all the great features in iA Writer 5.1:
- Write #tags to group files
- Use in Quick Search and Smart Folders
- All hashtags are shown in Organizer and Go menu
- Hide hashtags from Preview and PDFs in Templates preferences
- If you’re writing an article about a hashtag and want it to look like text, just put a backslash before the hash sign \#TalkLikeAPirateDay
# Smart Folders
- Filter your files using a variety of rules including text searches, file extensions, hashtags, parent and ancestor paths, absolute and relative dates
- Use a custom sort order
- Automatically sync across your devices
- Get automatic keyboard shortcuts in Go menu
# URL Commands
- Updated commands to create and open documents
- Added authenticated x-callback-url commands to read and write files
- Manage URL commands in General preferences
# Dark Mode on macOS Mojave
- Updated to match system look
- System light and dark state is matched by default
- Switch to manually managing state in General preferences
# Free Candy
- Added navigation controls to Library in full screen windows
- Assign custom display names to Library Locations in Organizer
- Rename Favorites in Organizer
- Duplicate items in Library
- Go > Enclosing Folder menu
- Fixed an issue where images couldn’t be dragged to Editor from Safari, Photos, and other apps
- Added STIX 2.0 fonts for math expressions in Preview
- HTML tags are dimmed in Editor
- Hide Favorites, Smart Folders, or Hashtags sections from Organizer and Go menu in Library preferences
- Improved library performance and reduced memory usage
- SVG images are always displayed as pictures when used as content blocks
- Code blocks are excluded from text stats
If you like the updates, please leave us a rating on the Mac App Store. It helps a lot.
Ratings and Reviews
Good solid app, some caveats
This is my main writing program and I like it. It's not perfect however, and I consider them a bit too rigid in their philosophy of typefonts. I would prefer a little bit more softer font that is not as harsh or jagged on the eyes. I understand it's supposed to be better for writing, but it just doesnt *feel* better for writing, if that makes sense. The fonts are kind of like a distraction-free mode that you cannot toggle off if you prefer something else.
If it were up to me I'd prefer to have different fonts for different circumstances. Such as nice, clear, and beautiful fonts, for "inspiration mode," and the regular slower, Duospace fonts for "focus mode."
Otherwise, everything else about it is pretty much perfect, the UI, buttons, and everything else is very well placed.
Slow text selection for copy/paste, viewport GLITCHES up and down, and various other UI/hotkey abnormalities. Liked the iOS version, though.
Clean, Brilliant & DARK
Purely from the point of view of a writer (stories, novels, nonfiction), iA Writer is exactly that minimally intrusive drafting partner I have been looking for. I also have to say, support is incredibly responsive.
I got started using a dark background a million years ogo when Word had a (nasty looking) version of this, then found WriteRoom –– alas, no more iOS support –– and now iA Writer is my go to for zenning out that critical first draft on up through a couple of revisions.
If a clean, pure words-on-a-blackboard look is your style, look no further.
- Information Architects GmbH
- 8 MB
- OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010–2018 Information Architects GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.