“iA Writer creates a clean, simple and distraction-free writing environment for when you really need to focus on your words.” ***** The New York Times
“iA Writer is an example of how powerful simplicity and accessibility can be.” ***** The Guardian
“iA Writer is all about textual production—writing this phrase, this sentence, this word at this moment.” ***** WIRED
4 x Best of App Store Winner
# The Simple Writing App
iA Writer removes distractions. Giving you a calm, focused, writing space, so you can express yourself clearly.
Focus Mode dims everything but the current sentence or paragraph, helping you stay in the flow.
Don’t worry about the format. First, write in plain text. Then preview in HTML.
Search, sort, and quickly swap between documents from different clouds without leaving the window.
iA Writer includes an inverted light-on-dark-mode, perfect for working day and night.
Spot superfluous adjectives, weak verbs, repetitive nouns, false conjunctions and clean your text of the usual rumble.
Customize your templates and export to WordPress or Medium, HTML, Microsoft Word (.docx), or PDF.
# 100% Text
Embed links, pictures, tables and text files in plain text and see them in preview.
# Get in Touch
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
# 1. New Library
## 1.1 Added Organizer
- Quickly access your Library Locations and Favorites (folders and files) in Organizer
- Drag and drop folders from Finder to add them as Library Locations
- Drag and drop folders and files from within Library to save them as Favorites
- Drag and drop to reorder Library Locations and Favorites
- Favorites get automatic keyboard shortcuts in the new Go menu
## 1.2 Select Multiple Files
- Shift-Click to select a contiguous range
- Command-Click to select multiple arbitrary files
- Multiple files can be moved to another folder or added to a document as content blocks
## 1.3 Navigation
- Library remembers navigation history
- Use familiar navigation keys in title bar to go back and forward
- Click and hold navigation keys to access navigation history
- Filter in Library finds files in only the currently visible folder
- Change sort order of Filter in Library
# 2. Free Candy
- Switch to dark app icon in General preferences
- Added task stats
- Use Control-Tab and Control-Shift-Tab to switch between Organizer, File Browser, and Editor without taking your hands off keyboard
- Upgraded advanced search syntax with more flexible queries
- Added stats toolbar (access in contextual menu or View > Toolbar)
- Improved word and sentence count accuracy
- Added French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Chinese localizations
- Added Cyrillic to iA Writer Duospace font
# 3. Fixes
- Fixed an issue where images could not be dropped into Library from Safari, Photos
- Fixed an issue where app could freeze while showing folders with a large amount of images
- Fixed an issue where app could freeze while removing large Library Locations
- Fixed an issue where multiple content blocks dropped onto Editor were inserted in reverse order
- Fixed an issue where tabs were always visible in full screen
- Fixed an issue where cursor position could be lost when enabling syntax control
- Fixed an issue where some text failed to draw correctly after undoing some text editing commands
Ratings and Reviews
I write more frequently because of this app.
I basically threw my money at the computer as soon as I saw a desktop version of iA Writer existed. The iOS version had already captured me, and being able to move between phone and computer was just what I needed. Every feature is built for writers, from easy and beautiful PDF exports to cloud storage to starting with a blank document ready as soon as the program opens. My favorite way to use it is in full-screen mode with Night Mode turned on, nothing but my words in white on a dark screen. I use iA Writer every day, and I’d go so far as to say that it’s made me a more productive writer, just because it has simplified the writing process for me so effectively. (It’s also been good to see it improve over time with smart and continuous updates, and my one and only request for support was answered quickly and solved easily.)
In short: I write more now that I have iA Writer on my machine, and I have never used a more elegant writing app. I’d give it 10 stars if I could.
So much better than Ulysses. Plus a reccomendation for IA writer dev team
IA Writer is SO much better than Ulysses in terms of the writing/typing/composition interface. And the settings actually work and make sense. I tried and tried and tried to make Ulysses look half as good as IA writer on the screen, but despite being more expensive, that program is flawed.
★★ Here is a strong reccommendation for the IA Writer dev team however: when there is a conflict between documents (saved versions), it is pretty hard to decipher the differences between them using only the tiny images and timestamps provided. Of course the ideal would be a text comparison (which is easy given we’re dealing with plain text), or at least you should be able to scroll through the contents of each before committing, or having to save them all. I and more than a few users I know have lost valuable revisions because of this.
Thank you for the kind words and the considerate feedback. You are absolutely right. A better comparison would indeed improve the app. We'd like that, too. It's on our list of things we'd like to do in the future.
Great Gets Better
iA is fantastic. What I appreciate so much about this app and its team is its slow but steady evolution. I have traversed a good number of other writing apps/programs and many are great but iA just sits delicately atop them all for some reason. I firmly believe it is simply because the app, when it needs to work, works flawlessly. I believe it’s due to the slow and well-planned feature improvements to the app. Many writing apps have a few bells and whistles that would be awesome for iA to adopt but what I find is that THEY WILL… and they’ll do it better than everyone else. As someone who believes in longetivity and consistency in their workflow and “toolbox” of apps they use to navigate both business, pleasure, and everything in between, I believe iA is operating in a very sustainable manner that warrants commitment to their product.
- Information Architects GmbH
- 11.9 MB
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010–2018 Information Architects GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.