Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Now anyone can create stunning iBooks textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books, and more for iPad and Mac. Start with one of the Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. Add your own text and images with drag-and-drop ease. Use Multi-Touch widgets to include interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations, 3D objects, and more. Preview your book on your iPad or Mac at any time. Then submit your finished work to the iBooks Store in a few simple steps. And before you know it, you’re a published author.
• Give your book a great beginning with templates that include a choice of page designs with matching fonts, colors, and textures
• Quickly customize your book with text and images, create new layouts, and even save a custom template
• Easily add a cover, video introduction, table of contents, copyright page, dedication, and foreword
Beautiful text and layouts
• Use a variety of text styles including custom fonts to give your book a rich yet consistent look
• Add text, shapes, charts, tables, and media anywhere on the page
• Import a chapter written in Pages or Microsoft Word and apply a great-looking layout from your current template
• Add sophisticated mathematical expressions with native equation editing using both LaTeX and MathML notation
• Add any word to the glossary with a single click and easily include photos, images, charts, tables, and shapes next to any definition
• Automatically create a portrait view of your landscape book, which allows iPad readers to focus on the text
• Choose from a variety of widgets that add Multi-Touch interactivity to your book
• Add a photo gallery, chapter review, movie, audio file, Keynote presentation, scrolling sidebar, dynamic pop-over, interactive image with callouts, 3D object, or custom HTML anywhere in your book
• Many widgets include placeholders for titles and captions and are automatically numbered so you can reference them in your main text
• Add accessibility descriptions to any widget so that it can be used by sight-impaired readers easily with VoiceOver
Export for iBooks Store or iTunes U
• Preview your book in iBooks on iPad and on Mac to see how it looks and works
• Submit your book to the iBooks Store for sale or free download in a few simple steps
• Export your book in iBooks format to share on iTunes U or to give to others
• Export your book as a PDF file
• OS X 10.9 or later
• 2GB of RAM
• 1.2GB of available disk space
• Keynote 6.0 or later (required for importing presentations created in Keynote 6.0+)
• Pages 5.0 or later (required for importing documents created in Pages 5.0+)
• iBooks for iOS 3.0 or later (required for previewing on iPad)
• iBooks for Mac 1.0 or later (required for previewing on Mac)
• iTunes Producer 2.9 or later (required for book publishing)
• Network Connection (required for book publishing)
What's New in Version 2.2
• Import ePub files
• Import Adobe InDesign IDML files
• Create customized books with new Blank templates
• New hyperlink options: link to a location in another book, link from an image, and more
• Improved transition support in Keynote widget
• Enable auto-play for media widget, Keynote widget, and HTML widget
• Readers can now interact with the HTML widget right on a book page
I am surprised why Apple does not promote this product, as it is an amazing resource and one of the best, most intuitive software programs I have ever used to create original creations (Adobe could learn from this with regard to an intutive interface and easy to use product). I feel like I can create without having to spend hours on tutorials, and this is the key to truly wonderful software that doesnt inhibit the creative flow or process (unlike Adobe, which has software engineers design products instead of creative professionals). The ONLY drawback (and it is a big one) is that there are no Windows programs that can run iBook Author creations and this limits the usefulness. I know the Mac is a better learning platform and this is an Apple product, but schools and businesses buy cheap these days and low end Windows computers are unfortunately the usual choice. iBooks Author simply great creative product (even Time Magazine agrees)!
Nice idea, not a great solution.
I used iBook Author to write a lengthy piece. The plan was to see if the program was worth using for actual ebook publishing.
On several fronts it is a reasonable effort, but it is lacking. The publication limitation to apple was known and not a major concern. The issues that I had are consistently the program comes up short. It is a good first effort but is limiting to the extent that I cannot recommend it in good faith. If you know you are never going to publish your work at all, except on your own devices then it is workable. If there is even the slightest chance you need to use other formats than look elsewhere. Too many options allow the author to format in different ways, while this is a worthy effort it is a lightweight solution. Considering this is from apple itself I am left wondering what the plan was.
And there are issues on the iP* side as well. Upload a new version and the comments that have all been deleted are now back. And, since the new version is most likely different they are also wrong and useless.
Look further afield than here. There are many solutions and iBook Author was not worth continuing with for me.
Need an App for the iPad/iPhone that is sync-able
Would LOVE to be able to write on my Mac Mini then continue working on the same file on my iPad. PLEASE add an App for iPad and/or iPhone so that I can be productive away from my Mac mini. Right now I have to use Pages to work remotely, then import into the iBooks Author. Trying to edit what I have already worked on in iBooks Author is even more of a nightmare. There is no editing in pdf format, not to mention trying to re-import it afterwards to sync with my iBooks Author file. The App is great for finalizing work, but not really helpful for work-in-progress.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Oct 16, 2014
- Version: 2.2
- Size: 412 MB
- Languages: English, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © 2011-2014 Apple Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.9 or later