Now anyone can create stunning textbooks, cookbooks, history books, picture books, and more for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Start with one of the Apple-designed templates that feature a wide variety of page layouts. Add your own text and images with drag-and-drop ease. Use Multi-Touch widgets to include interactive photo galleries, movies, Keynote presentations, 3D objects, and more. Preview your book on your iOS device or Mac at any time. Then submit your finished work to Apple Books in a few simple steps. And before you know it, you’re a published author.
• Give your book a great beginning with templates that include a choice of page designs with matching fonts, colors, and textures
• Quickly customize your book with text and images, create new layouts, and even save a custom template
• Easily add a cover, video introduction, table of contents, copyright page, dedication, and foreword
Beautiful text and layouts
• Use a variety of text styles including custom fonts to give your book a rich yet consistent look
• Add text, shapes, charts, tables, and media anywhere on the page
• Import a chapter written in Pages or Microsoft Word and apply a great-looking layout from your current template
• Add sophisticated mathematical expressions with native equation editing using both LaTeX and MathML notation
• Add any word to the glossary with a single click and easily include photos, images, charts, tables, and shapes next to any definition
• Automatically create a portrait view of your landscape book, which allows readers to focus on the text
• Choose from a variety of widgets that add Multi-Touch interactivity to your book
• Add a photo gallery, chapter review, movie, audio file, Keynote presentation, scrolling sidebar, dynamic pop-over, interactive image with callouts, 3D object, or custom HTML anywhere in your book
• Many widgets include placeholders for titles and captions and are automatically numbered so you can reference them in your main text
• Add accessibility descriptions to any widget so that it can be used by sight-impaired readers easily with VoiceOver
Export for Apple Books or iTunes U
• Preview your book in Apple Books on iPhone, iPad and on Mac to see how it looks and works
• Submit your book to Apple Books for sale or free download in a few simple steps
• Export your book to share on iTunes U or to give to others
• Export your book as a PDF file
• macOS 10.11 or later
• 2GB of RAM
• 1.2GB of available disk space
• Keynote 6.0 or later (required for importing presentations created in Keynote 6.0+)
• Pages 5.0 or later (required for importing documents created in Pages 5.0+)
• iBooks for iOS 4.3 or later (required for previewing on an iOS device)
• iBooks for Mac 1.3 or later (required for previewing on Mac)
• iTunes Producer 2.9 or later (required for book publishing)
• Network Connection (required for book publishing)
This update includes stability and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Good but not great yet and tech support isn’t the best
For the most part, it’s a very good way to create an electronic book, but it has some quirks. The one that bothers me most is that creating page breaks doesn’t work as it should. It also bothers me that you can't easily switch templates, so it’s highly advisable to decide beforehand whether you want Apple-specific books (landscape or portrait) or somewhat more generally applicable books (epub). I wish that the app itself would point that out and be much more specific and clear about the tradeoffs.
But mostly my complaints are about the support staff. They don’t seem to be up to Apple standards, from my experience at least. I was trying to convince them that pagination had a bug, but kept getting irrelevant negative responses, so I finally gave up. I also got mixed messages about the tradeoffs between the templates. And, surprisingly, two of them I talked to told me that you cannot migrate from an epub template to landscape or portrait, that is, that you have to cut and paste between the two. But that turns out to be wrong. You can migrate (just use "File/New from ePub File" to import a .epub version of your book), although it’s a far from perfect process (e.g., galleries don’t translate properly).
Not well designed for professional publishing.
Prior to this iBooks App, I have used and highly recommended Apple’s Pages application in its iWorks suite, for formatting both iBooks and printed books and magazines, suitable for professional authors and publishers. The Pages app accommodated 2-page layout “spreads” or “double-truck” formats for print publications, where left-hand pages allowed wider right margins, and right-hand pages allowed wider left margins, to leave a “gutter” width based on the number of pages in a printed book. Unfortunately, the new version of Pages omitted the 2-page spread option, making it worthless for print books.
So I downloaded iBooks Author, hoping for a solution. But I can’t find it. This application allows horizontal layouts that look like 2-page spreads (for iPads and iPhones), but they don’t work for numbered left and right pages in print books.
Despite the beautiful graphics and video capabilities, a serious author or publisher cannot stay in business selling only iBooks. The Pages 09 app was perfect for professionals, but it’s no longer compatible with current Mac operating systems. My entire library of personal and client books can no longer be revised or updated on Mac computers, and this iBooks version is not useful for established authors with broader markets to serve. (Darn it!)
Heading in the right direction, but...
I discoverd this app while reading a PDF that someone created using iBooks Author. I’ve been using it for a few days now and it is a really nice app EXCEPT I echo what others have said (iCloud sync for one). But…why not make an iPad/iPhone version? Yes it would not be as fully functional (although I don’t understand why…Pages and Numbers are available on the iPad, iPhone and Mac) but right now, when I am away from my Mac, I write on iOS Notes and then I have to transfer what I wrote to iBooks Author on my Mac. Of course, if there is no iCloud sync (like others have pointed out), having an iPad/iPhone app doesn’t make any sense. I truly hope that Apple is not going to only do simple upgrades. This truly is a great app. It has so much potential. Please, Apple, don’t leave us hanging here. Listen to the feedback and keep improving this app. Thank you.
- Apple Inc.
- 414.3 MB
- OS X 10.11 or later
- English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.