iBurn 2013 (Burning Man Map & Guide)
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Whether you're going to Burning Man or not, iBurn 2013 is your guide to all the art, camps, and events in Black Rock City. iBurn is built to be used offline, within BRC, so you can lose your mind without losing your body.
iBurn is also open source and totally free. You can download the source code here, after gates open: http://github.com/trailbehind/iBurn-2011
View the map online: http://www.iburnapp.com/map
• includes a Burning Man map, as well as art, camp, and event info
• works on all iDevices, and is fully auto-rotatable
• shows tappable pins for camps and art when zoomed in
• highlights camps with current events with green pins
• buttons on map to locate self and center on the city
• center on the art/camp on the map, and show a pin for the place (tapping the pin shows details)
• clickable urls and clickable emails
• any webpage viewed via details gets cached
• events are linked to their camps, so you can locate events
• sort camps and art by name, distance, or favorites
• sort events by time, name, or favorites
• a "now" button to show current events
• tables provide alphabetical index scroll bar
Some geo-data is embargoed in the app until gates open. The app will automatically start showing the data if:
* you are in BRC and you have GPS
* gates have opened and you have an internet connection
* you know the password
See www.iburnapp.com/news for the password, or ask a Black Rock Ranger or Burning Man Staffer.
What's New in Version 4.0
* updated for 2013
* please note that events for Monday are incomplete due to a bug
A work in progress
Overall, I found the app to be extremely useful in my first trip to the Playa. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and will be using it again this year.
That said, there are a few issues, as detailed by others. The most obvious is when the app updates with information after the embargo. By chance, I opened the app on Gate Road will still near Gerlach and it updated with the correct information. If you forgot to do that, you were screwed. I would recommend allowing anyone to access the information 1) 24 hours in advance or 2) when they are within 100 miles of BRC. That will hopefully give people enough time to get the data.
Aside from that I was extremely happy with the app. I even used it to get us out of the Exodus line even more quickly! Can't argue with that.
Embargo Doesn't Unlock
The embargo won't unlock unless you are already on the playa AND STILL HAVE WORKING INTERNET. This is Black Rock City we're talking about, not San Francisco.
You also mapped my art installation on the incorrect radial. Perhaps talk with the Artery first next time?
Events are broken :-(
Compared to the official playa calendar, the events listings seems to be broken or out of date…? Monday for instance only shows about two dozen events as opposed to hundreds on the website
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Aug 21, 2013
- Version: 4.0
- Size: 37.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Trailbehind, INC.
- © TrailBehind, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.