iCab Mobile (Web Browser)
By Alexander Clauss
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
iCab Mobile is a web browser for the iOS. It provides many unique and useful features you won't find in other iPhone browsers.
The Watch App is a remote control for iCab Mobile, so you can navigate, zoom, scroll, open bookmarks, links, the homepage, switch tabs or sitch on/off the fullscreen mode. it is also possible to let iCab read a web site using speech output.
iCab Mobile can upload any files on web pages, like uploading photos on flickr.com or Facebook.com. Due to limitations of the iOS this does not everywhere, but it works fine on many web sites.
iCab Mobile comes with several default search engines you can choose from. You can easily add new search engines. Search suggestions from google and yahoo can be activated on the iPad. It's also possible to search within a web page.
FILLING OUT FORMS:
iCab Mobile can save web forms and restore the form content later (manually or automatically). The saved forms data can be password protected.
There's a built-in and customizable URL-based filter. The default filters block many advertising banners. You can edit, add or remove filters. It's possible to switch off images to save bandwidth.
iCab Mobile supports Tabs, so you can open multiple web pages at the same time. Links can be opened in Tabs (in the foreground or background) manually or automatically. iCab can save the tabs when quitting so these can be loaded even when being offline, the next time the App is launched.
Bookmarks can be organized in folders. You can import/export the bookmarks from/to your PC/Mac browser. Bookmarks can be also saved as "Offline Bookmarks" which can be even opened without an internet connection.
iCab Mobile provides a fullscreen mode where the whole screen is used to display the web page. No screen space is wasted for toolbars.
iCab Mobile has a built-in Download Manager so you can download almost all files from the internet. The downloads can be easily transfered to a Mac/PC/Linux computer but also to other Apps on the device which can open these files
You can create multiple user accounts, each user has its own private bookmarks, filters, settings, etc.
iCab Mobile supports Dropbox. Export/Import bookmarks; transfer downloads, images, files, web pages to your Dropbox account.
- Configurable multi-touch gestures
- QuickStarter feature
- AirPrint support
- Browser ID (UserAgent) is configurable
- iCab Mobile fully supports international domain names (IDN - domain names with language-specific characters).
- Send (smaller) downloads via email
- Cookie Manager, lists all cookies, cookies can be deleted individually
- Private Browsing (no history and no cookies are stored)
- Privacy settings allows to delete all kinds of private data (history, cookies, databases, saved forms, passwords etc.)
- Option to pass the current web page to another App on the device which can open the page
- URL autocompletion based on bookmarks and/or history
- Simple built-in RSS reader
- Save images, whole web pages, PDF files
- Kiosk Mode - a restricted variation of the fullscreen mode for Kiosk environments.
- Addressbook support lets you access the web pages from the addressbook.
- When launching iCab can either open an empty page, the homepage or restore the Tabs which were open the last time
- Page-Compression is supported to save bandwith.
- There are different color schemes and designs
- Document Sharing lets you pass downloads and files to other Apps in the device
What's New in Version 9.0
- Via force-touch you can now get a preview for bookmarks, history items, reading list items or downloads (on the new iPhone 6s/6s Plus).
- On the iPhone 6s/6s Plus you can get a shortcut menu via force-touch on the App icon
- New option available for the action menu to save a page as PDF natively (no third-party service required)
- The App now remembers the font size for each web site. In the "Web sites" settings you can also modify the font sizes.
- In the filter settings there's a new option to enable logging of third-party content. When activated, iCab Mobile will collect the URLs of all resources that are loaded by a web site which are coming from a thrid-party (from another domain). Within the list of these resources you can tap on an address to create a filter. This new feature will make it much easier to create filters for ads and other unwanted resources. The "i" button within this list will open a preview of the resource.
- In addition to the existing URL-based filters, there's now another CSS-based filter feature available. For these filters you create a list of CSS class and ID names for a URL (the URL can contain wildcard characters), all page elements whose CSS class or ID is among these of the filters will be hidden.
- Much better support of the "split screen" mode of iOS 9 on the iPad.
- The scrollbar can be now also activated/deactivated via gestures
- New module 'YouTube PiP' for the iPad added. This module will open videos on the YouTube site so that they can be watched using the new Picture-in-Pucture mode of iOS 9
- There's a new icon "New Tab" available that can be added to the toolbars
- Creating ZIP archives within the download manager does now require less main memory
- In the "personal data" settings you can now configure which data (URL and/or page title) you want to share when the ShareSheet is opened by the user.
- Fixes the issue with failing HTTPS connections directly after the device woke up from sleep
- Bugfix: The scrollbar no longer collides with fulscreen icons
- Bugfix: When using the split keboard on the iPad the "form fill/save" buttons were still visible on screen after the keyboard was closed
- Bugfix: The GoodReader module didn't work anymore under iOS 9
the best (alt.) iOS browser
iCab Mobile remains the best alternative browser for iOS, Mobile Safari has improved dramatically since my initial review (so now the title requires the alternative tag). Yet iCab Mobile keeps getting better all the time, and stays current somehow while maintaining and expanding an insanely broad feature set. If you want web browsing to work differently on iOS, I wager iCab Mobile supports that, the challenge will be turning off all the options you don’t want and not getting distracted by the myriad features you never thought of as you configure your ideal browser. The customization controls are bananas, and seemingly without limit. Every behavior, every button, every list can be modified, moved, or removed at will, including enabling all the behaviors I see other reviewers writing that iCab Mobile does not support. Maybe iCab Mobile has added the feature or behavior since the reviewer posted, or maybe the default configuration has the behavior disabled, but I bet whatever it is you seek is in the settings somewhere. The default configuration is not my taste but has interesting choices, looking at the screenshots in the App Store listing reminds me how much I have changed and how drastic a reset to defaults would be. If you have read this far then you should know the answer to this already, but yes, of course it lets you sync or back up your settings, as you might imagine iCab Mobile has several different ways to do so.
most advanced browser on iOS
I have been using this little gem for many years on all my iOS devices. There is nothing else that comes close in terms of features and functionality. Only downside is that it takes a learning curve to understand what is what, and discover all of its capabilities. Upside: Whatever you need, if it's possible on iOS, when you need it (on the road) you should be able to find it here (iCab).
Developer has always been committed to quality and keeps publishing regular update, which deserves extra credit (I'm sure that this is not the biggest money machine due to most users sticking with Safari ...).
Best iOS Web Browser, PERIOD
NEW FEATURE SAVES FONT SIZES!! After being horribly burned by Atomic (which hasn't been updated in years, and Mercury (which has become malware), this is the best iOS browser bar none. BEWARE: It is not idiot proof, and will take some time to learn. The built in help is cursory at best, and you should spend some time learning how each setting works. If you learn how to use it, you will become endlessly delighted with what it can do for you.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Nov 05, 2015
- Version: 9.0
- Size: 9.2 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Catalan, Czech, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Alexander Clauss
- © 2015 Alexander Clauss
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.