Chess puzzles are an ideal way to practice without having to find an opponent or spend time playing an actual game. iChess presents 1000 offline puzzles from real FIDE tournament games. Just launch and start solving!
******* The popular Chess app is now on iOS!
- Three difficulty levels. All puzzles are offline. No internet connection required
- Load your own PGN puzzle file by saving the PGN to the iChess Documents folder (via Mac/PC). Games in Chessbase CBH format not supported. You can also practice openings or study famous games. Simply load a full PGN of games and make the best move.
- Bird View feature to view Solved/Failed and unseen puzzles.
- Scorecard to track your progress
- Analyze the puzzle with a Chess Engine! (Needs separate Analyze This app)
- Master Chess openings by solving chess tactics from openings like Sicilian, Kings Indian etc (not free)
- Solve puzzles from top recent tournament chess games (not free)
* Some puzzles simply win a pawn or a piece and not necessarily end in checkmate
* Puzzles are arranged in increasing order of difficulty
* This is not an app to play chess online or play against the mobile or with friends
* Thanks to theweekinchess.com and pgnmentor.com for the free PGN files
Like on Facebook http://goo.gl/P5TXe
Enjoy solving puzzles from games of World Champ Anand, Magnus Carlsen, Kramnik, Aronian, Nakamura, Gelfand, Radjabov, Polgar and others.
Stay up to date with puzzles from games played in Tata Steel, London Chess Classic, Chess Olympiad, World Championship, European Teams, Candidates, Alekhine mem etc.
Additional puzzles (Recent Months, Mate themes, Openings etc) available for purchase via the App
* Now you can backup and restore your progress and purchases (need to Sign in)
* Basic Accessibility support
Ratings and Reviews
iChess vs Chess Tactics Pro
Both are excellent at helping study tactics for improvement!
Both allow you to purchase more puzzles but iChess leads by a huge margin. The interfaces are simple and attractive, Chess Tactics more so. To continue game play after a puzzle is finished, Chess Tactics has a built in chess engine of modest strength and iChess integrates with the free “Analyze This” app using the powerhouse Stockfish 8 chess engine. It is accessed with a simple click on a screen icon. Analyze This is a powerful, feature-rich chess app and provides depth analysis for up to 10 lines play and allows variations. Using Analyze This has tremendous value.
Both track your progress with Chess Tactics providing a FIDE rating “guess”. Unplayed puzzles - Chess Tactics shows small game boards with the puzzles’ number and a check mark if played versus iChess displaying a large table of numbers (marked green if played). Both have reset buttons available.
I use both, BUT tend to use iChess much more because - 1) it has more specialized puzzles, 2) Analyze This can be used for analysis and is so easy to access, and 3) iChess starts you with a huge number of puzzles.
Fun learning tool
I'm not an experienced enough chess player to say whether or not the puzzle solutions are the best of all possible moves, but they seem solid to me.
I like the puzzles because they are from all stages of the game, not just endgames. The thing I struggle with the most is recognizing the best moves in early/mid games (especially at the transition between the two) - this app is a fun learning tool.
This app makes you a better player
I use this app while I'm at work throughout the day and I have seen a huge improvement in my games. My only complaint is that there is no option to remove the red dots that tell you where the piece can move.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. We will surely add an option in the next update to turn off the dots! Please feel free to send your suggestions/feedback to email@example.com
- Asim Pereira
- 76.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Asim Pereira
- In-App Purchases
- iChess Upgrade $1.99
- Endgame Tactics $1.99
- Mate in 2 Vol 1 $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.