iCircuit is the premier iPad and iPhone app for designing and experimenting with circuits and Arduinos. Its advanced simulation engine can handle both analog and digital circuits and features realtime always-on analysis. It is the perfect companion to students, hobbyists, and engineers.
You use it as you would any CAD program: you add elements, connect them together, and set their properties.
But iCircuit is unlike other CAD programs because it is always simulating. It's just like working with the real circuit. You do not stop to take a measurement or spend a lot of time configuring reports. Instead, you just play with the circuit as you normally would, with the power on!
There are over 30 elements you can use to build your circuits. The app has everything from a programmable Arduino, to simple resistors, to switches, to MOSFETS, to digital gates.
The app features a multimeter that you use to probe around the circuit to instantly read voltages and currents. If you want to see how a value changes over time, then you can add values to the built-in oscilloscope. The scope can simultaneously track many signals over time and features a touch interface to control the total time displayed and stacked and unstacked modes to easily compare signals.
Supported elements include:
• Programmable Arduino
• Signal generators, Voltage sources, Current sources, and Dependent sources
• Resistors, Capacitors, and Inductors
• Manual SPST/SPDT Switches, Push buttons, and Relays
• Diodes, BJ Transistors, and MOSFETs
• Speakers, Microphones, Buzzers, DC Motors, and LEDs
• ADCs, and DACs
• Logic gates: AND, OR, NAND, NOR, XOR
• JK and D Flip-flops
• 38 7400 series digital parts
• 78xx and LM317 voltage regulators
• 7-segment display and driver
• Antenna with simulated AM and FM signals
You can also create sub circuits to introduce new elements and componentize your designs.
No matter your skill set, you'll be playing with circuits in no time with iCircuit.
* NEW! Frequency measurement mode in the Scope display the Fourier transform of any signal so that you can design AC filters and monitor other repeating behaviors of your circuit
* NEW! Delete tool to make cleaning up circuits easier
* All new drawing code to make circuit animations smoother than ever
* More accurate scope with thinner lines and higher sampling rate
* New circuit browser to make sharing files with other apps easier
* Many bug fixes and and other improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Not bad but ...
I have been using this App for over a year and have found it to be a good app for quickly “chalkboarding” ideas with the simulation. That said, it does have some issues with moving already wired components around (when one needs to make room for a new component) wanting to make lots of new connections in all the wrong places. I just figured this would be cleaned up in a future release. Also adding/editing text boxes is a problem unless one only uses 3 or 4 words in the text box.
My biggest concern with this App though is that it now appears to be “forgotten” and perhaps no longer supported as it has now been over two years since the last update. I can understand this if the app was free or did not have so many little bugs but this is a paid App. I hope the developers give it the loving attention that it’s paying users deserve.
I made a few circuits for some practical effects in a show, and as a lighting designer and master electrician it's very helpful to make them on the go, send them off, and have the practical test ready when I get in. However, in sharing a folder out, I lost everything in it on the first try. It was only a few schematics, but I have to now make them again. Trying to load the circuit file into the app didn't work, and none of the schematics I made came up as visible (just blank pages).
So, while its nice to make these on the go, it's a little useless if I can't send them to anyone. I would say this would be well worth $10, if you could share the folders successfully. Otherwise, it's very useless organizationally.
(Also, you can't save anything as a PDF to iCloud Drive, which is just weird).
Not so good!
Initially this is a basic tool with some interesting abilities. Needs more symbol to be added. After creating a couple of circuits, I left the program. Came back and the circuits were gone, so were the examples, and all the settings were unavailable. This program needs some updating and fixing of the obvious trap doors.
Update. Tried saving to the iCloud and the circuits built lasted longer... Tried to select a circuit out of a folder I created to send to printer and then entire folder was lost along with the examples folder. Went to look on local iPad and not there either.
According to the manual, the use should be able to access the "Trash" folder. Unable to do so with the program loaded on my iPad 9 Pro. As a result of continued problems, I have downgraded my rating to a single star. One of the things I noticed is there have been no updates to the APP for about a year.
- Krueger Systems, Inc.
- 304.6 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2018 Krueger Systems, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.