Let us guide you through Herculaneum, and enrich your visit to the excavation site.
This guide covers the 49 most important excavated structures in Herculaneum. It offers a full description of every excavated building. Markings on the map shows where the structures are placed, and where your are accordingly to them.
Using TTS (text to speak) your smartphone will act as an audio guide and will read the texts out to you loud, as you visit the different sites. The voice used is the default iPhone speaker voice, that is already installed on your device. All you need to do is to press “Play” at the button of a selected text, and the chosen text will be read out to you.
You can either use our predefined tour of the highlights of the area, or you can plan your own tour through the excavation site. Simply use the Tour Planner features to select the buildings you would like to see and then follow you own route through Herculaneum.
Let us show you Herculaneum, as it used to be…
Features included in the app:
- Description and history of 49 of the buildings in Herculaneum.
- Audioguide using TTS (text to speech).
- Tour planner to create your own unique route through the excavation site.
- Markings of the buildings on a GPS powered map.
- A description of the history of the entire Excavation site.
49 buildings are covered in Herculaneum excavation:
- The Boat-sheds
- Terrace of M. Nonius Balbus
- Surburban Baths
- Sacred Area
- Shrine Of Venus
- So-called Shrine Of The Four Gods
- House Of The Telephus Relief
- House Of Deer
- Shop of Priapus
- Large Shop
- Taberna Vasaria
- House With Garden
- House Of The Grand Portal
- Pistrium of Patulcius Felix
- House Of The Corinthian Atrium
- Shop Of Plumbarius
- House OF The Black Salon
- Shop Ad Cucumas(Shop at the cooking pots)
- House Of Tuscan Colonnade
- College Of The Augustales
- House Of The Two Atriums
- Mens Bath
- Womens Baths
- House Of The Beautiful Courtyard
- House Of Neptune And Amphitrite
- Shop Of Neptune And Amphitrite
- Samnite House
- House Of The Alcove
- House Of The Mosaic Atrium
- House Of The Bronze Herm
- House A Graticcio (of Wattlework)
- House Of The Wooden Partition
- Shop Of The Lanarius
- House Of The Genius
- House Of Argo
- House Of Aristides
- House Of The Skeleton
- House Of The Hotel (The Inn House)
- Villa Of The Papyri
- Monumental Structure
- Bath Complex
- House Of The Gem
- House Of The Bicentenary
- House Of Galba
- Basilica Noniana
- German language
- Italian language
- New user interface
- New and improved tour planner
- Updated contact information
Ratings and Reviews
Completely useless, total waste of money
First of all, as of my trip in March 2017, the Herculaneum has audio guides to rent for 7 Euro that are excellent. Ignore whatever travel advice you've read online & just use those.
This app is 100% unusable. The amount of information that it gives for each location is minimal & is largely dry facts about size or excavation dates. The clips, which were read by a computer voice, lasted less than 30 seconds. The app was unable to locate where I was physically, so in areas where there were multiple points of interest, I had no way to know which to select to play. When I tried to zoom in on the map, to figure out specifically which building I was in, the map automatically snapped back out to the large area view. I tried guessing which site I was near & pressing play but it never ended up being the right info for the right building. In the end, I gave up out of frustration & my husband told me bits of info from his audio guide that he'd rented from the site, which was informative & interesting.
This app is completely useless & a waste of money & patience & if I could demand a refund for this defective product I absolutely would, but leaving this honest review will have to do.
Terrible, worse than useless
This app added NO value to our recent visit to Herculaneum. It uses a computer voice reading standard descriptive text. It's map numbers did NOT match the site map numbers, so it was useless to help move around the site. I stopped using it to avoid having the app cause a negative reaction to the site.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.