I Have no Mouth, And I Must Scream is a classic point-and-click adventure game originally released in 1995 on PC. Based on a short story of the same title by Harlan Ellison, one of the most-acclaimed American science-fiction writers, I Have no Mouth, And I Must Scream immerses the player in a frightening post-apocalyptic atmosphere 109 years after a supercomputer named AM has wiped out humanity. Created during the War, AM hates all humans and has decided to make the last five survivors pay for what they’ve done. These survivors are now immortal, so AM can torture them forever for its own sadistic pleasure.
In the game, you’ll guide each character through their own “hell”-- reviewing their past and confronting their fears and weaknesses, all whilst clinging to the hope of someday being free.
I Have no Mouth, And I Must Scream integrates many appealing features, including:
• Change between "touch" mode and "classic" mode at any time
• Changeable graphics – player can choose between different filters
• Different soundtracks – “midi”, “adlib”, and more
• Several languages available: English, German, French, Spanish, and Italian (subtitles only)
• Play as multiple characters – you choose the order
• Alternate endings
• Well-crafted puzzles
• Inspired by Harlan Ellison’s short story, who also voices the supercomputer!
• No ads, no in-app purchases, no hidden costs. Enjoy all content!
A great story with an interesting, original plot that’s disturbing and thought-provoking in equal measure, I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream is an essential title for any adventure game fan -- and now you can enjoy this cult classic on smartphone and tablet with this specially-adapted version!
Minor Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
An Overlooked Classic Ported to iOS
A wonderfully made game made from one of the most horrific stories ever to embrace the world of literature. Harlan Ellison’s “I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream” puts players in the shoes of five different people stuck within the depths of the Earth, tortured by the AI, AM (Allied Mastercomputer.) Each character’s scenario explores their past along with their flaws. The puzzles are difficult (as per any other standard 90s point and click game) and the game explores many themes including grief, psychology, anxiety, eternal damnation, and many others.
The game includes new graphics options that removes the jagged edges from the pixelated sprites, includes a tap control mode along with a classic cursor mode, and two soundtracks that feature the original midi-based ost, along with the remastered ost (missing a couple of tracks.)
The game runs wonderfully on my phone, though the controls are a bit tedious as first. The “positive” theme is also missing from the remastered ost for some odd reason. Otherwise, it’s a great game and I definitely suggest buying it, whether it be on iOS or on your PC.
Very Disappointing Conversion
As an older gamer, I was beyond excited to find this release on iPad. Unfortunately, after my initial excitement, I found it to be a buggy mess. The touch controls do not work well and led to multiple game breaking glitches that lost me about an hours worth of progress. The Give function also does not work with the touch controls and the classic controls cursor sensitivity is busted. How controls for a Point and Click adventure game can be this broken is beyond belief.
The graphic and sound conversion seems faithful and well done, but until the controls are fixed this game is a waste of your time and money. I like DotEmu and own a few of their retro conversions, but they won't get another dime from me until this game is fixed.
Good game from a good book
I read the original book this game is based off of called alone against tomorrow. That’s what sparked my initial interest. I’m using a iPhone 5S and have had no complaints. I like the darkness about the game. Look forward to finishing.
- 893.4 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2016 Night Dive Studios © 2016 DotEmu SAS, All rights reserved
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.