Google Arts & Culture
By Google, Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Keep exploring with Google Arts & Culture. Meet the people, visit the places and learn about the events that shaped our world. Discover collections curated by experts from the most famous museums. Be moved by stories depicted in thousands of photos, videos, manuscripts and artworks on every type of screen and in virtual reality. Find your favorite artworks, create your own collections and share them with friends.
Google Arts & Culture has collaborated with over 1,200 international museums, galleries and institutions from 70 countries to make their exhibits available for everyone online.
- Zoom Views - Experience every detail of the world’s greatest treasures
- Virtual Reality - Grab your Google Cardboard viewer and immerse yourself in arts and culture
- Browse by time and color - Explore artworks by filtering them by color or time period
- Virtual tours - Step inside the most famous museums in the world and visit iconic landmarks
- Personal collection - Save your favorite artworks and share your collections with friends
- Nearby - Find museums and cultural events around you
- Exhibits - Take guided tours curated by experts
- Daily digest - Learn something new every time you open the app
- Art Recognizer - Learn more about artworks by pointing your device camera at them, even when offline (at select museums)
- Notifications - subscribe to receive updates on the top arts & culture stories
- Location: Needed to recommend cultural sites and events based on your current location
- Camera: Needed to recognize artworks and provide related information about them
- Contacts (Get Accounts): Needed to allow sign in with a Google account, in order to store users favorites and preferences
- Storage: Needed to allow artworks to be recognized and related information to be access while offline
What's New in Version 6.0.17
• Take a selfie and discover if your portrait is in a museum. (Select locations only)
• Bug fixes and minor improvements.
Needs a lot of work
Excellent app in theory however the programming needs a lot of work. Very poor in app functionality such as moving smoothly between images and back to previous menu pages, landscape view is off, when zooming into images you are then unable to continue scrolling to next image without first returning to previous page. Also, many artist pieces are missing. I scrolled through all of the Surrealism pieces looking for Salvador Dali and did not find a single piece by him. Then when I go to Dali’s page on your app, there are barely any of most famous pieces. That is the case for many artists offered on this app. Another example would be Hieronymous Bosch. If these things were all corrected, you would have an excellent app and I will happily change my rating.
Limited content access
This app has been blowing up on social media over the last few days. However, to have a popular feature like the selfie comparison only available in certain geographical locations is ridiculous. I live less than an hour from downtown Chicago, not a remote area by any means. This was very frustrating and disappointing. It seems like an unnecessary restriction, and poor planning on the part of the app developers. If you download an app, you should be able to access the same content, regardless of where you live. The art the app accesses isn’t limited by location, so why only allow the function in certain spots. It’s irritating that I wasted fifteen minutes of my life looking through the app trying to find the feature, only to finally realize it just isn’t there. Incredibly irritating.
Selfie option DOES work!
I'm not sure why people are writing reviews, saying that the selfie option doesn't work, because it worked perfectly fine for me. It took me two seconds to scroll down the home page, find the selfie option, read about how it is new and experimental, take a selfie, and find pieces that resembled me. Maybe it only works on certain devices, but as the owner of an iPhone 6, I assure you, the selfie option works phenomenally. Also, there are countless informational texts and articles regarding art(ists). This app is amazing and I 10/10 recommend!
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Dec 15, 2017
- Version: 6.0.17
- Size: 65.0 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Basque, Cambodian, Catalan, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.