Castro is a beautiful, full-featured podcast player that makes it easy to track lots of podcasts.
Here’s how it works:
1. New episodes land in your INBOX. Read their descriptions, add episodes you like to your QUEUE, and archive the rest.
2. Press play to listen to episodes from your QUEUE in order. Queued episodes are downloaded automatically.
3. Add to and re-order your QUEUE to plan your next few hours of listening at any time. Browse your ARCHIVE to review your back catalogue of subscriptions, quickly access starred shows, and see your listening history.
With Castro, subscribing to a podcast doesn’t mean making a commitment to listen to every episode. You don’t have manage a huge list of subscriptions or choose a few shows and miss the rest.
- Drag and drop podcasts to triage and reorder your next few hours of listening with Castro’s unique queue.
- An elegant dark mode and thoughtfully designed sleep timer offer the best in night time podcast listening.
- CarPlay support makes it easy to pick up where you left off while driving.
- Apple Watch app to control playback and select another episode from your queue.
- Our servers find new episodes across every podcast, so your phone doesn’t have to, saving battery life and data usage.
- Episode notifications include a summary of the episode to help you decide if it interests you. Play, queue or archive the episode directly from the notification without opening the app.
Castro Plus is an optional paid subscription available for $8.99/year or $2.99/quarter (both include a one-week trial). Plus unlocks a range of advanced features:
- Sideloading allows import of audio files directly, just by dropping them in iCloud Drive.
- Trim Silence — With this option on, the app will analyze audio as it plays to detect silent parts and accelerate those parts. Get through more episodes faster.
- Enhance Voices improves the listening experience for many podcasts and makes it easier to hear in loud environments. Under the hood, Enhance Voices applies a dynamic compressor and a peak limiter to increase volume just where it’s needed.
- Mono-Mix — Mixes a stereo podcast to mono, which makes it easier to hear podcasts that pan some guests on left/right channels.
- Chapter Support: Skipping & Pre-selection.
- Chapter and episode artwork.
- Customize settings per-podcast: Episode Limit, Trim Silence, Enhance Voices, Mono Mix, Skip Intros, Playback Speed.
“Castro 3 is an incredible app.”
— The Sweet Setup
“Castro 3 is everything Castro already was, but better.”
Castro 3 Is a Great Modern Podcast App”
— Beautiful Pixels
“Unlike other podcatchers, Castro's primary virtue is its simplicity and ease of use. The app combines sleek visual design with crystal clear audio.”
— Tom’s Guide
CASTRO PLUS SUBSCRIPTION TERMS
Castro Plus costs $8.99 per year or $2.99 per quarter. Prices are in US dollars and may vary in countries other than the US.
Castro Plus is charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. It will renew on the day before the current subscription period ends. You can cancel auto-renewal any time from the Castro settings screen.
You can switch between the two subscription periods after you pick one, but your trial period will end immediately if you do, so it's best to wait till your free week is over before changing.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
* Adds "Time Remaining" to Watch App
* Adds controls for Trim Silence, Enhance Voices + Continuous Play to Watch App
* Podcast title no longer displayed in the status bar on Watch App
* Fixes issue where Sideloads would fail if there was a / in the title.
* Fixes issue with Sideloading from Dropbox
* Improves Sideloading error messages
Ratings and Reviews
The only issue we have with podcasts today? Keeping track of all of the good stuff. Castro acts as our podcast personal assistant. Once we’d rifled through the app’s vast (and we mean vast) offering, Castro helped us prioritize and organize what we wanted to hear—and clear our in-tray by deleting them once we’d listened.
I love this app
I love everything about this app. The design—I love how compact the episodes are in the queue. So many other podcast apps are bloated design-wise, where you can only see 3 or so episodes at a time. I hate that. I don’t want to be inundated with info. I just wanna see the titles. I love the drag and drop (in particular the ability to move multiple items at once.) The inbox is brilliant. There some podcasts with multiple formats of which I only like one. This allows me to archive the others without having them dumped in my queue and downloaded. But my hands down favorite features are the archive & history. There are some podcasts that I don’t listen to on a regular basis but like to check in on every so often. This allows me to follow them so that I don’t forget about them but to go find an episode when I want to. And of course history. I’m usually on the go when listening and don’t have time to note episodes I really enjoy. With the history I can do back and see what I heard. Sometimes the impact of an episode doesn’t hit for a week or more. With history I can still go find them. Simple but essential. And the dates they were listened to on is saved as well! —just an impressive level of care. Fingers crossed for smart speed/silence skipping, a speed between 2x & 3x and custom playback settings for individual shows — nobody should listen to Song Exploder at 2x.
Thanks for the kind works Chad! As you've probably seen by now, we now have silence skipping and per-podcast settings in Castro 3.
All the best,
Still no trim silences?
UPDATE: Lowering my review to two stars. The fact that there's still not trim silences is kind of unbelievable. It feels at this point like the developers are just folding their arms and pouting and putting their feet down because they're tired of the requests, but I've listened to their podcasts and I know they understand that this is easily the biggest, most requested missing feature. It just baffles me that they would rather dedicate so much development time to other features than just buckle down and add this one that is absolutely standard in today's podcast player market. Not to mention they still don't save playback settings per podcast or support chapter markers. What? It's a wonderful, unique app in a lot of ways, but it's missing crucial features that hold it back. It's kind of heartbreaking.
ORIGINAL: I want to love Castro, but to me, trim silences should be considered a standard feature in a modern podcast app. I've tried to get into Castro so many times now because they add such cool stuff with their big updates and the general hook of treating podcasts like an email inbox, but it's been months and trim silences, a long-requested feature, is still nowhere to be seen. (As well, I want Castro to remember playback speed settings for each podcast.) So yet again, back to boring old Overcast for me.
Sorry that it took us a while, but we now have chapter markers, trim silences and per-podcast settings in Castro 3. I hope you're enjoying the new features!
- Supertop Software
- 68.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © Supertop 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Castro Plus $8.99
- Castro Plus $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.