Apple TV Remote
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Apple TV Remote is a great companion to Apple TV, delivering the best of the Siri Remote. With Apple TV Remote, you’ll never need to put down your iPhone to enjoy Apple TV. Control Apple TV with a swipe of your finger or use the keyboard to quickly enter text. And you can use the app along with the Siri Remote.
• Navigate Apple TV with touch gestures
• Quickly enter text, email addresses, and passwords using the keyboard
• Ask Siri to find something great to watch, listen to, or play
• Control the movie, TV show, or song that’s currently playing
• Play games using the accelerometer and gyroscope
• Turn on Game Mode for simplified game controls
• iOS devices using iOS 9.3.2 or later
• Wi-Fi connection to Apple TV
• Apple TV (4th generation), using tvOS 9.2.1 or later
• Apple TV (3rd generation), using Apple TV Software 7.2.1
• Apple TV (2nd generation), using Apple TV Software 6.2.1
Siri requires Apple TV (4th generation) and availability varies by country and language.
What's New in Version 1.0.2
This update includes bug fixes.
Needs volume/power control and iPad support
I'll be sticking with the hardware Siri remote until this app gets two things:
1. volume/power control for those of us using our Apple TV with a TV that has HDMI-CEC. I believe that volume and power are conducted over Bluetooth for TVs that have HDMI-CEC (as opposed to over IR), so if that's the case then this app really needs support for this functionality so that it can become a true stand-in for the Siri Remote, eliminating the need for any other remote.
2. native iPad support. The old Remote app had a full-fledged native iPad interface, so the fact that this functionality is missing from this version is pretty strange. Anyway, when I'm watching TV at night, my iPad is almost always the device I have in my lap while my iPhone is charging upstairs. Please add that feature back soon.
All in all not a bad first release, but I'll be keeping this in my "miscellaneous" folder and just sticking with the (very awesome) Siri remote until I see an update giving this app the much-needed functionality mentioned above. I hope these requests do appear soon as it'd be great to use my iOS devices to control my Apple TV again.
Remote for Apple TV
Imagine my surprise upon reading these reviews when it was learned an earlier version had a volume control! Especially after spending "volumes" of time trying to reload, re sync, and reboot. I've never seen a remote control device or something claiming to be one/have the functionality, that didn't have that very simple and logical function. Shock upon shock it is for an apple to apple product.
You have a very modern sleek design that would easily accommodate the buttons. Obviously you also have a large and potentially larger and more substantial customer base. What gives guys? You've got hungry apple customers here that may jump ship permanently for that functional ability where and when it comes available.
Almost as good as it used to be. SMH
TLDR: easy and reliable connection, but lacks features and controls the old app had for years.
The best thing about this app is searching with a keyboard. Beyond that, there is no iTunes/Mac control, no volume control and no settings menu within the app. Instead of having one Apple remote app, now I have to have one for my mac and a separate one for my Apple TV when I used to only need one. It also has to refresh and reconnect each time it's opened from the background. Even though it connects quickly, (most of the time) there should be a setting to keep the app connected in the background. Please add back in iTunes/Mac controls, since the old white remote app is completely broken and unusable.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Sep 19, 2016
- Version: 1.0.2
- Size: 9.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Apple Inc.
- © Apple Inc, 2016
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.