Description – Hip Licks for Guitar Application by Greg Fishman
Hip Licks for Guitar is designed to help guitarists develop fluency in the jazz language by providing mainstream jazz vocabulary (swing/bop/post-bop) that nails the changes and lays great on the horn. This book was originally created for saxophone, and it contains idiomatic jazz vocabulary.
Hip Licks for Guitar includes TAB with guitarist Mike Allemana's personal fingerings used for the licks, as played on the recording.
This app includes all licks played by master guitarist Mike Allemana, as well as recordings of each lick performed by saxophonist/author Greg Fishman, giving guitarists the option playing along with another guitar, or playing along with saxophone.
Think of Hip Licks for Guitar as a musical reference application, like a dictionary of great licks in all twelve keys, available when you need it. You can open the application to any page and just start playing.
Need something that will help you sound like a total pro while playing over the most challenging keys and chord progressions? Hip Licks for Guitar is an indispensable resource that can immediately show you how a professional player would approach those tough keys and chord progressions.
Custom User Interface
This application features a customized user interface that makes this application fun and easy to use. When you launch the application, you’ll see a menu window that lets you choose to read through the entire contents of Hip Licks, page by page without the play-along tracks, or to load each set of licks with the accompanying play-along track. All page turns are automatic, and synchronized with the play-along track.
To start playing a guitar demo track, simply select the group of licks you'd like to play (Maj7, ii - V - I, etc.) and then click on the guitar icon on the lower left side of the display, and the track will immediately begin to play.
To start playing a rhythm-section-only track, simply click on the drum icon on the lower right side of the display, and the track will immediately begin to play.
To start playing a sax demo track, simply select any of the Hip Licks for Saxophone icons on the lower part of the home screen display. These saxophone tracks were included to help guitarists get a feel for the unique articulation and dynamic qualities of the saxophone.
Special Features of Hip Licks for Guitar by Greg Fishman:
• 168 Hip Licks – Each lick is unique and customized for each key, based on the best timbre, register and playability on the horn. The C7 lick is different than the B7 lick, which is different than the Bb7 lick, etc.
• All fast tempo licks include both Slow Tempo and Fast Tempo Play-Along Tracks.
• Hip Licks Nail the Most Popular Chord Progressions:
– Major 7th, Dominant 7th, Dominant 7b9, Minor 7th, Minor 7b5, and Diminished 7th and Augmented 7th Chords
– ii-7 / V7 / I Major (two and four-measure phrases)
– ii-7b5 / V7b9 / i Minor (two and four-measure phrases)
– Parallel Major to Minor Progressions
– ii- ii-Maj7 / ii-7 V7 / I Maj7 (ii-7 / V7 / I Maj7 w/moving 7ths)
• Interactive Call and Response Format, perfect for ear-training and developing your musical memory. Each lick is played twice in a row on the Play-Along Tracks, so you can hear the lick and then immediately play along.
• Twelve Key Approach – Every track takes you through all twelve keys.
• Rhythm-Section-Only Tracks let you experiment with your own variations on the licks and improvise over a wide variety of harmonic settings. These tracks are also excellent backgrounds for practicing all of your chords and scales.
• Technique Builder – Use Hip Licks for Saxophone as part of your daily practice routine to dramatically increase your technical command of the saxophone.
Ratings and Reviews
I just purchased this app as I already own the book ( and others by the Author) and initially had some issues with the sound but I wrote the author and he responded quickly with the reason. Be sure to have mute or silent mode (depending on the device) off. Apparently many apps override this setting but Apple prefers the apps not do that now. Anyway, the app is really well done, very intuitive and includes some licks that you can hear played on a guitar or sax that you can play along with. The entire book is available which I find to be a huge plus.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.