Screen Tint - Color Filter, Brightness Control & Screen Dimmer
By FIPLAB Ltd
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
** LAUNCH SALE: 50% OFF **
Screen Tint is a handy utility app that is designed to reduce the brightness of your Mac’s screen, proving particularly useful for users with sensitive eyes and for those that wish to use their Mac in a darker environment, but find that their screen’s brightness to be too harsh.
We recommend to use a warm tint when working at night and a cool tint for working in artificial light.
• Choose between 7 primary tint colors, with the ability to also configure any tint colour of your choice using the colour palette
• Ability to toggle the intensity of the tint colour using the ‘color intensity’ slider
• Enable the app to run between a specified time schedule automatically
• Quickly be able to enable/disable the app from the menubar itself
• Tint not only your Mac’s screen as the main display, but also attached external displays
• Perfect for users wanting to use their Mac’s in the night/dark environments
• Useful for users that have sensitive eyes and find the regular brightness levels of Macs to be too high
• Give your screen a unique colored tint that’s both good for your eyes, as well as visually appealing
Brightens entire screen
The problem with this app is it tints by adding a color to every pixel. This means if your desktop is black and you work in a small window or collection of windows, the ENTIRE SCREEN will start to become a color. In that case your monitor will begin glowing brighter, which is the opposite of what you want when your eyes are tired. I feel like I’m in a tanning booth now, whereas before I had just one bright white UI in the middle.
The real solution is to only tint things that matter, maybe by clamping blacks and darks below a certain threshhold (adjusting the gamma curve would do this). If parts of my screen is already dark, it should stay dark and not add more brightness. Until then, I can’t really recommend this app unless you work fullscreen in a giant white window all the time.
Lousy scheduling feature
The screen tint feature is what I was looking for. It works on both my monitors. What doesn’t work is the scheduling feature. You’re supposed to be able to set a “shade-on” and “shade-off” (mine is 9 pm and 9 am, respectively). But it looks like the screen tint app only knows to toggle the shade if it’s awake during those times. If the computer goes to sleep with the shade off and then you wake your after the shade-on time, the app doesn't turn the shade on. Likewise, if you put your computer to sleep with the shade on and then you wake your computer after the shade-off time, the app simply leaves the shade on.
To be honest, I bought the app without even knowing the scheduling feature existed but now that I know it’s there and badly implemented, I’m really annoyed with it.
Great for Tired, Dry Eyes!
Have dealt with chronic dry eye syndrome for years now…bright lights of any kind really bothers me. I find this app very useful especially first thing in the morning when my eyes are extremely sensitive. It does indeed help! Am still playing with the different settings to figure out which is my favorite, been waiting for an app like this for a long time! Thanks for the good work!
- Category: Productivity
- Released: Sep 10, 2016
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 2.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: FIPLAB Ltd
- © 2016 FIPLAB Ltd
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor