Are websites and social media apps blocked? Is your network unusually slow? Run OONI Probe to find out!
With this app, you will examine the blocking of websites and instant messaging apps, measure your network's speed and performance, and check whether systems that could be responsible for censorship and surveillance are in your network.
OONI Probe is developed by the Open Observatory of Network Interference (OONI), a free software project (under The Tor Project) that aims to uncover internet censorship around the world.
Since 2012, OONI’s global community has collected millions of network measurements from more than 200 countries, shedding light on multiple cases of network interference.
▶ Collect evidence of internet censorship
You can check whether and how websites and instant messaging apps are blocked. The network measurement data you will collect may serve as evidence of internet censorship.
▶ Detect systems responsible for censorship and surveillance
OONI Probe tests are also designed to uncover the presence of systems (middleboxes) that could be responsible for censorship and surveillance.
▶ Measure the speed and performance of your network
You can measure the speed and performance of your network by running OONI's implementation of the Network Diagnostic Test (NDT). You can also measure video streaming performance with the Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (DASH) test.
▶ Open data
OONI publishes network measurement data because open data allows third parties to verify OONI findings, conduct independent studies, and answer other research questions. Openly publishing OONI data also helps increase transparency of internet censorship around the world. You can explore and download OONI data here: https://ooni.io/data/
▶ Free software
All OONI Probe tests (including our NDT and DASH implementations), are based on free and open source software. You can find OONI software projects on GitHub: https://github.com/ooni. Curious to learn how OONI Probe tests work? Learn more: https://ooni.io/nettest/
To receive updates from the OONI-verse, follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/OpenObservatory
* Fixed some untranslated labels
* Fix to the remaining seconds being a negative value
Ratings and Reviews
Great Internet Connectivity Tool
I am very impressed with this free tool. I have paid apps like Net Analyzer but this free tool offers a bunch of great Internet related data for no charge and the information is easy to understand for the layman.
Not a fan of the new update
I’m not a fan of this new update. It takes several minutes of actively waiting on your phone in order to run the tests. I can’t just hit run a few times and execute all the tests
Speed rates need to be corrected
Misleading rate of speed in tests reporting speed. Given the numbers being reported, speed should be mbs (megabits per second) not MBs (Mega Bytes per second). To get MBs you would need to divide the reported number by 8.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for reporting this. We have implemented a fix for this (https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-wui/commit/ddb2739623a9333ad77cf4c6515926011f8b6c52) and it's going to be included in the upcoming 1.3.1 release.
- The Tor Project, Inc
- 30.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
- English, Albanian, Arabic, Catalan, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Italian, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Open Observatory of Network Interference
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.