After the Great Ecological catastrophe the ultra rich move to Tesla City on Mars. The rest of us died. Now, citizens of Mars take flights to Earth and play golf in the ruins of civilization. However, one of the Mars mission pilots cannot fit in the new Martian society. The homesick pilot uses his connections at Golf Club: Wasteland for one last solo trip to Earth.
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK: Radio Nostalgia from Mars. Citizens of Mars, now nostalgic for Earth, listen to music from the 2020s and share memories from their past life on Earth. 7 original songs and 5 personal stories from citizens of Mars. Now available on Apple Music!
Kick back, relax and reminisce with Golf Club: Wasteland. This award-winning game is a slow-paced atmospheric visual narrative with walking, jet-pack flying, and golfing in post-apocalyptic landscapes.
“Mixed with an eerie atmosphere and some of the best tunes we’ve heard in iOS gaming, this makes for a beautiful experience of loneliness.” - Apple
“Beautiful and elegiac are not normally adjectives you’d use to describe a golf simulation, but that’s what this is, and a highly unusual and peaceful experience.” 8/10 - Metro
“Rare is the game that gets you thinking about modern society, while being angry that you missed the shot to get past a giant, irradiated giraffe.” 9/10 - Touch Arcade
“Can this be the start of a new genre, please?” - Yahoo Finance
A visually and sonically rich, calm and funny experience. Each level contains post-apocalyptic environments with destroyed brutalist monuments, neons referring to current social events and Silicon Valley, graffiti, alternative pathways, and one unexpected character.
While revisiting Earth, the Pilot listens to Radio Nostalgia from Mars, a unique concept album.
Three storytelling perspectives: text between levels, the Pilot’s diary that you can unlock, and personal stories in the radio program.
References are planted throughout the game world. If you’re passionate about current affairs, appreciate great design and have a healthy skepticism toward our collective future - this game is made for you.
- iCloud sync: now your progress is saved on iCloud and shared across your Apple devices
Ratings and Reviews
I’m not sure what to say in my review...
This game just completely caught me off guard with its unbelievably insightful (and all too real and relatable) story of our current political climate. Oh, and it’s a game about super sweet golf trick shots.
The golf part is a blast (and trust me, I don’t like golf or play games like this), but the beautiful art and sound design sucked me in. There’s a radio that acts as the music in the game which is great, but also has moments of a dj coming on to talk about the current predicament they are in which gives more and more information to the story as you play golf. It’s really quite ingenious. And if you score under par fir each course you are rewarded with more pieces of the story from the character perspective. I don’t want to ruin anything, so I won’t say more on the story other than it was really well-executed, and beautiful and depressing at the same time.
This may very well be the sleeper hit of the year. And for only $2.99 that’s a STEAL. There’s plenty of replay value with the zen-like, fun golf courses that allow you to try and beat your score and pull off some cool shots. And with the intelligent story, this is a no-brained purchase. Thank you, to the dev for making such a game and bringing it to iOS.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review!
Passion in game development must be rewarded
While I’m literally only 5 minutes into this world (and desperately need to get some sleep tonight), I had to leave this positive, albeit incomplete, review before I drop off.
I don’t think I’ve ever been so profoundly influenced by a 30-second game clip before. My very first impressions are Fallout Golf in Wall-E’s backyard; I’m sure the dev has much more to say and I can’t wait to delve deeper into this vision.
I’m quite happy to spare a mere $3 to support a labor of gaming love, as opposed to a carefully-calculated algorithm designed to drain me of money and enjoyment.
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much for your enthusiasm! Hope you ended up enjoying the game :)
Let’s call this game what it is: it’s a social statement, a mindless golf game with no challenge set to an anti-Trump radio show.
I don’t have any issues with the political nature of the game, I agree with their statement. But the game itself....it’s basically just a mindless golf game. It’s two dimensional, no score, unlimited balls. You are just whacking a ball left and right around a course which gives you something to do while you listen to a radio show about how the world was ruined, with neon signs like “Drumpf hair products” and “Covfefe” in the background scenery. And between stages you get one line story bits.
Again, amusing-if-it-weren’t-depressing political viewpoints aside, the game is just simply not challenging and not particularly fun.
Developer Response ,
Hey there, thanks for your comment. Let us just clarify:
- The game does have a score. In the main menu to unkock the Pilot’s Diary you need to score par or better. There are also Achievements and a Scoreboard. Granted, the score is somewhat hidden because we didn’t want to interfere with the exploratory vibe.
- The game refers to Trump only in the two instances you correctly spotted. But it has many other references to Silicon Valley, European politics, other games, Yugoslavia, brutalist architecture, literature, third world exploitation, and climate change. It is about ideology in a broader sense. The radio, though, does not mention politics, but it puts the player into the position of the world already having been destroyed, a kind of wake up call. We composed each of the songs and wrote the personal stories, so the radio is much more about memories than anything else. However, we acknowledge that all these layers elude neatly categorizing the game as golf, adventure, music, satire or atmosphere.
- Demagog Studio doo
- 335.2 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Demagog Studio doo
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.