StopTheMadness is a Safari and Firefox extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web!
Many web sites disable user interface features in your browser that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness ensures that those features continue to work for you in Safari and Firefox:
• command-click and middle-click to open a link in a new tab
• command-key keyboard shortcuts
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
• smooth scrolling
With StopTheMadness enabled, the annoying web sites that deliberately make your life harder suddenly become easy to use again!
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping")
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon)
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search results
• Removes tracking parameters such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from clicked links
• Hides animated squiggles on theoutline.com
• New website protection: Force links to open in current tab! Some links have target="_blank" that automatically opens the link in a new tab when you click. Now there is an option in StopTheMadness to remove target="_blank" from links so that they open in the current tab. Many people have requested this option, and it's finally available!
• New website protection: Tab Closing and Visibility! This stops sites from showing a popup and keeping a tab open when you try to close the tab. It also stops sites from knowing whether a tab is visible on your screen, which they use to track your behavior.
• New website protection: Video Controls! When enabled, this brings all videos to the front and shows the video controls by default. This stops sites from hiding a video's contextual menu.
• New website protection: All Mouse Clicks. This stops sites from hijacking your mouse clicks. In some extreme cases, a site will hijack all clicks in order to prevent you from selecting text. If the Text Selection protection isn't sufficient, you can enable the All Mouse Clicks protection too, and then you can select text that was previously not selectable!
Ratings and Reviews
This app shouldn't be necessary, but it is
We shouldn't have to have an app to give us back control of our own web browsers, but give a web developer an inch and he'll take a mile. It's nice to have sanity restored and be able to do the normal things that computers have been able to do for decades. Copy and paste!
The one feature I'd love to see added is to block the "Wait, don't go!" pop-ups that happen just because the mouse moves to the title bar. So annoying! It's bad web design and eventually designers will stop doing it (I hope), but until then, that's the one feature this app could add to make it golden. The features it has right now are worth the purchase.
Makes the web a joy instead of a death by a thousand cuts
This plugin makes websites behave in acceptable and standardadized ways instead of being annoying in a myriad of small, but impactful ways. This plugin prevents rogue actors from being disrespectful to users and makes it so you don’t have to think about anything but the content you are seeking online. The feature set covers most signifigant annoyances and it shows a well thoughtout experience. This kind of thing shoudlnt’ be needed, but is and its a good thing that you can “set it and forget it”, as the web behaves as it should, while this plugin does its job and fades into to the background.
So Simple, So Brilliant!
It had been going on so long that I didn't even realize I was so frustrated by so many web sites whose designers insisted on breaking my normal workflow for some bizzare idea of "security" or some other unknown motivation. This app, worth far more than its investment, has fixed all that for me on the sites I've visited since installing it. Thank you, Jeff! You've bought back big chunks of my time, but even more, significant mental energy that's no longer spent screwing around with sites that are broken.
- Jeff Johnson
- 600.7 KB
macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018 Jeffrey Johnson
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.