Mast is a beautiful Mastodon and Pleroma app built with iOS design guidelines in mind. It’s as feature-packed as it is gorgeous. With customisable content and themes, it’s most definitely the perfect choice.
The stunning timelines make reading the latest content a joy, and tapping the on-screen elements gives you a wonderful haptic response. Long-holding anywhere in the app quickly lets you toggle themes, and Siri Shortcuts let you do the same, and more. Awesome.
We’ve also thrown in some cool things like 3D Touch support, Today Extension, Share Extensions, iMessage Stickers, a Watch app, Siri Shortcuts, and an iPad app! We hope you enjoy using Mast.
“What is Mastodon/Pleroma?”, you may ask. Well, it’s a federated and decentralised social network. Think of it as email, where you can choose your provider, yet talk with almost anyone from anywhere regardless of their choices. The instances on Mastodon and Pleroma give users freedom to find their community, whilst allowing everyone to talk with each other with the level of visibility that they want. The content warning feature makes it safer, and the increased character count makes it far more expressible. It’s what microblogging should have always been.
- Beautiful and clean interface
- Fast and lightweight
- Light mode (day), dark mode (dusk), darker mode (night), true black dark mode (midnight), and midnight blue themes (you could even set up Siri Shortcuts to do this for you magically)
- Themes and customization
- Multiple user accounts
- Supercharged toot composition screen with a powerful media gallery, text styling options, ASCII text face insertion, instance emoticons, now playing content insertion, picture pasting, and user autocomplete
- Browse and add GIFs to toots when composing
- Powerful media app-drawer with a gallery slider, and drag-and-drop deletion
- Polls support (create, view, vote)
- Supercharged media viewer and Picture-in-Picture videos that can be dragged around
- Swipe actions to like/boost/reply (swipe right)
- Swipe actions to mute/block/report/translate/share (swipe left)
- Alt image text addition and viewing support
- Pinch the screen anywhere to toot a screenshot
- Schedule toots for the future
- Filter toots
- Endorse accounts
- Translate toots
- Threaded toot conversations
- Notifications and activity
- List creation support
- View pinned and liked toots
- View muted and blocked users
- Gorgeous profiles with links
- Dynamic hashtags, related, and user search
- Content warning overlays (shake to display again)
- Dynamic history view
- Adjustable segments
- Instance emoticons display and composition support
- Account locking and follower requests
- Customizable gestures
- iPad app
- Hardware keyboard shortcuts
- 3D Touch Peek and Pop
- 3D Touch Quick Actions
- Today Extension
- Share Extensions for Photos and Safari
- Siri Shortcuts
- Watch app with timelines and profile, works over cellular
- Cute iMessage stickers
- Joyful haptics and alerts
- Real time streaming
- Push notifications
- URL schemes
- Subtle volume indicator
- Dynamic app icon changing
- Useful settings to customize as you see fit
(Requires a Mastodon or Pleroma account)
We’re constantly evolving and crafting Mast to create the perfect Mastodon and Pleroma app for you. If you have any suggestions or feedback, we’d love to hear it! Come visit us on Mastodon and let’s craft an incredible toot browsing experience together.
WWDC is just around the corner, but you shouldn't have to wait till then to get your hands on new things. Here's another one of Mast's weekly updates. Enjoy!
TL;DR Improved Share Extensions, more profile tweaking, further refinements, and a variety of bug fixes.
- Share Extensions have been entirely recreated with a custom interface to be better aligned with the app's toot composition screen
- Added the ability to set toot visibility in Share Extensions
- Added the ability to add spoiler text (sensitive text) in Share Extensions
- Added image previews in Share Extensions when sharing an image (via Photos)
- Added the ability to swipe down in Share Extensions to dismiss them
- Added the ability to add and update user profile link fields (the areas at the bottom of the profile header containing URLs) via the ••• more button's edit profile section
- Added the option to set the button on the left of the user profile's display picture to present the option to edit the user's profile
- Added the option to turn off the alerts that are displayed when switching to the direct visibility scope option whilst composing toots
- Added the ability to see the amount of replies a toot has alongside the toot action buttons and like/boost counts (if enabled via settings)
- Changed the share text hue to be more visible (especially for faint themes which may have been harder to see)
- Improved timeline scrolling in the mentions and notifications tab
- Fixed issue where absolute time on timeline toots would be cut off
- Fixed issue where boosted toots wouldn't display link previews
- Fixed issue where 3D Touch Peek and Popping a toot containing a GIF (or various other toots) would crash the app
- Fixed issue where 3D Touch Peek and Popping toot conversation detail action buttons and replies would crash the app
- Fixed issue where the mentions section would sometimes remain unpopulated
- Fixed issue where tapping mentions in toots would sometimes take you to the incorrect user's profile
- Fixed text issues when updating the user's profile where the wrong content may sometimes be displayed
- Fixed issue where tapping the option to reply in toot conversation details on an iPad would crash the app
- Fixed issues where tapping the profile or header images in a user's profile that doesn't contain any toots, or in some cases, would crash the app
- Fixed issue where other users' headers weren't tappable
- Fixed issue where tapping the top-left quick switcher icon would sometimes crash
- Fixed issue where attempting to fetch certain images in a toot's detail section would crash the app
- Fixed issue where profiles would sometimes display duplicated text to indicate that the user follows you
- Fixed issue alignment issues with sensitive toot text overlays where it would sometimes cover usernames and other parts of the toot
- Fixed issue where scrolling through mentions and notifications would sometimes jump
- Fixed issue where scroll position would be lost when entering the app again
- Fixed the alignment of the user profiles' segmented views
- Fixed issue where the same account would sometimes show up multiple times when being added to the app
- Fixed issue where toot conversation details would sometimes crash when navigating into or out of them
- Fixed issue where attempting to change the user's avatar or header via the profile section's ••• more section's edit profile section wouldn't change the avatar or header
- Minor UI adjustments
- Minor bug fixes
Mast has now been available on the App Store for five months, and the responses to it have been amazing. Your continued support in the app and its development has helped shape the app into what it is today, and also what it will become. The days ahead are full of promise, and many more exciting things are planned. Your positive App Store reviews also help enforce great continued support, whilst your generosity provides affirmation and cements the work done to build something great. Thank you. :)
Ratings and Reviews
Very promising, pleasant to use, minor snags yet
I've been using Mast for a few days so far, and it's been quite great! The interface feels well thought out and behaves as I'd expect it to. It supports the Mastodon features you need (message privacy, CW's, sensitivity and textual descriptions for pictures), and feels pleasant and fast.
Some toothing problems in this revision, but I expect they'll get fixed soon!
* the "activity" view crashes very often
* you can use the app one handed! Great when waiting in line: double-tap images to zoom, throw them away to dismiss; unfortunately, dismissing animated GIFs requires stretching your thumb all the way to the X in the far left corner (Mast does picture in picture, which seems neat but I don't use it)
* It still loses scroll state on occasion (but is pretty good at retaining the position usually!)
* content-warning posts, once revealed, can't be closed again; the only way I found to do that has been to scroll away, which restores the warning (weirdly: I've seen background refreshes restore the content warning without any interaction from me)
Overall, I think this app is more than worth the price! Once the crasher bugs are fixed, I'd absolutely recommend using it for anyone's Mastodon needs!
Room for Improvement
Mast definitely is still my favorite Mastodon third party client despite its crashes and flaws. There are a lot of things that needs improvement. Developers make mistakes. It is called being human. I will give this developer a chance before I decide to move on.
Now, the crashes takes place when I tap on 1) my avatar icon and 2) the timelines list. Second, there is an issue with changing my profile photo. Third, the settings has become increasingly crowded with lots of customization options that is becoming a bit of headache for me due to the lack of organization and proper sorting. This can be solved by displaying a list view of the main category first instead of showing everything (e.g. app icon, appearance, general, security, about) or a “show more” button and “show less” if you are lazy.
Good luck and all the best JPEG!
Better than the webUI, work in progress
I’m giving Mast 5 stars because this app is beautiful to look at (though uniquely designed it’s still easily navigated) and the potential is there to be the go to app for Mastodon users.
I can’t stress this enough: If you need a mature app that’s been tested for years and has a solid bedrock of Q&A underneath it: look elsewhere. Part of Mast’s charm is that it’s immature software and although it’s a bit buggy, the developer works incredibly hard on adding features and squashing bugs. Updates are frequent and I haven’t witnessed any update feel like a “regression”
I’m happy I bought it and look forward to future updates.
- Shihab Mehboob
- 52.9 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2018 Shihab Mehboob.
- In-App Purchases
- Mastodon Tip $9.99
- Calf Tip $0.99
- Mammoth Tip $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.