Take handwritten notes in digital, multi-media notebooks or annotate PDF, PowerPoint, and Word documents. All notes are searchable and you'll never have to worry about losing or misplacing them again. GoodNotes lets you organize all your formerly paper-based information in a single place.
AS NATURAL AS WRITING ON PAPER
Create and write in digital notebooks or import documents, images, websites, emails and more. Use one of many supported styluses (Apple Pencil included) or your finger to write like on real paper. GoodNotes' pioneering vector ink engine provides a fluent, precise and completely natural writing experience.
ALWAYS FIND WHAT YOU WROTE
Everything is indexed. Search your handwritten notes, typed- or PDF text across all documents. Quickly find the right documents and folders and open them from the search results. The same powerful OCR technology also lets you convert handwriting to typed text to export it to other apps or create text boxes in GoodNotes.
ALL YOUR NOTES WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES
Sync your notebooks across all your iOS devices using iCloud.
DON'T WORRY ABOUT MAKING MISTAKES
* Unlimited Undo & Redo
* Powerful and smart eraser
* Lasso tool to rearrange, resize, and rotate your handwriting or change colors
CUSTOMIZE YOUR NOTEBOOKS
GoodNotes comes with a large set of beautiful covers and paper templates. Included are: Essential papers in common standardized sizes, meeting templates, device-specific papers, monthly & weekly planners, Cornell note paper, legal pad paper, dark paper, checklists and more.
Need more personalization? You can import any image or PDF into the template library to reuse it over and over again.
EFFORTLESS DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT
* Group documents and notebooks in folders
* Create shortcuts to important folders, notebooks or single pages with one tap
* Search across all notes to find what you‘re looking for
ALMOST MAGICAL DRAG & DROP SUPPORT
* Drag documents into your library to save them
* Drag images to your notebooks and write on them
* Export documents from GoodNotes by dragging them to other apps
* Drag handwritten notes to text editors and convert them to typed text automatically (Depends on receiving app as well)
* Drag screenshots into GoodNotes to annotate and save them
* Learn more about all possible drag & drop interactions on our blog and website
MORE EXCEPTIONAL FEATURES THAT MAKE GOODNOTES UNIQUE
* All the tools you need for taking notes: Fountain Pen, Ball Pen, Brush Pen, Eraser & Highlighter
* Shape Tool: draw perfect shapes and lines (Color filling & Multi-Stroke Shapes are supported, too)
* Lasso Tool: Rearrange, resize, & rotate notes and images. Convert handwriting to typed text. Change the color of the pen and highlighter strokes.
* Auto-Advancing Zoom Tool: Write neatly and fluent
* Image Tool and Text tool: Comfortably add and edit images and text boxes
* QuickNotes: The fastest way to create new notes and start writing right away
* Export of whole notebooks and documents or choose to export one or more pages
* Import and annotate PDF, PowerPoint, and Word documents
* Toggle between open notebooks with one tap
* Switch between list view and thumbnail view to display your notebooks in the library
* Flexible scrolling direction (horizontal or vertical)
* Rest your hand on the screen with the built-in first-in-class palm rejection
Visit our website at goodnotes.com for more information.
- Fixed cannot import certain password protected PDFs.
- Fixed crashes when opening font picker with text tool.
- Fixed buggy UI when multiple pages are selected.
- Fixed arrow keys flip pages instead of moving in text box.
- Improved document import and export performance.
- Improved page copy and paste performance.
- Further reduced storage usage.
- Fixed a bug that caused the page to sometimes move when writing
- Fixed highlighted text can’t be searched/recognized
- Fixed layering problems with images
- Fixed an issue with the Zoom Window that didn’t go all the way to the end of the page
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent Search Improvements, Backup options limited
I have been using Goodnotes for extensive note taking during graduate school. Version 5 keeps many of the aspects that have made it my favorite note taking app, but again this version is not quite perfect. The best improvement from version 4 is the document search feature, which includes your handwriting. I also enjoy the continuous scroll feature. Thank you, developers! On the downside, version 5 does not seem to have the diverse backup options that were available in version 4. I had been using Dropbox since I work on many devices that are not made by Apple, and I liked to be able to access the up to date backup from anywhere. Now, however, iCloud is the only backup option. Please make the other cloud sync services available. One feature that was carried over without change from version 4 but I hope to see updated in version 5 is the 3 size eraser. You can make the pen very fine to write small (which I love), but you can’t make the eraser very small to make fine tuned corrections. A few more small eraser options are needed. I would also like to see version 5 create an option to open 2 notes side by side (similar to the feature in Notability).
I like the new features, but there are lots of bugs.
As someone who loved GoodNotes 4, I was very excited for the transition over to number 5. First, I must start off by saying that I really enjoy the new formatting and some of the new features they’ve added such as being able to move text around with the lasso tool or adding the Insert a Picture feature right on the tool bar. But, I’ve noticed a lot of bugs since transitioning; the app crashes on me several times a day and no matter what I set the palm rejection sensitivity to, it still confuses my palm with my fingers. For example, if I use the zoom in text box feature while writing and it suggests a new place to start, as soon as I lay my hand back down to begin writing, it mistakes my palm as my fingers and moves the screen around causing many random scribbles and not legible letters. I use this app primarily for journaling and note taking which makes it inconvenient when the app shuts down or interferes with my writing. Additionally, the vertical page scrolling is still very glitchy even though the newest update was supposedly supposed to fix that. I’ve added too many things to GoodNotes 5 to convert back so I guess I just have to wait until they fix all the bugs. Like I mentioned, the new features are nice, but they don’t outweigh the cons. Shouldn’t have transitioned over.
So. The new Goodnotes 5 is OKAY. I actually really don’t like it. It has some new features that I do like and enjoy but, I prefer the older Goodnotes 4.
Firstly, it seems to me that the sensitivity or the palm rejection on this version isn’t as good as the 4. Every time I am writing my page moves or “jumps” and I never experienced that with the older version. Also, the beloved Zoom box is TERRIBLE on this version. I use the zoom box all the time on the GN4 - it zooms in perfectly so I can write my notes neat and the transparent “blue box” carries on to next space on the sentence so I don’t lose my spot while I’m writing and then, continues down perfectly to next sentence. On GN5 it does not do that. Instead, of moving over to the next space of the sentence, it jumps down to other sentences and I have a whole gap of space on my current sentence. It also sometimes, jumps down a few spaces or will even move on to the next or previous page!
I honestly feel like the newer version has too many bugs and I can’t enjoy it at all considering the fact that I do appreciate some of the newer feature like the folders, the ability to erase just the highlighter, the new page and cover options, and the pen options.
I’m also really disappointed about the lack of the ability to view multiple documents simultaneously or side by side.
Just an over all disappointment. I will continue using GN4 for my note-taking.
- Time Base Technology Limited
- 335.6 MB
- Requires iOS 12 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 Time Base Technology Limited
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.