By Stand Alone, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"… the definitive source for puzzles for iOS…" -- the New York Times
Download and play crossword puzzles right on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. Each day many newspapers provide their crossword puzzles online; with one tap you can download and solve them, get hints, view clues, and track how quickly you're improving!
The #1 Crossword Player on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch just got even better!
• New: Sync your puzzles with Crosswords for Mac; Start a puzzle on your Mac, then finish it on your iPhone or iPad.
• Get new puzzles every day
• Touch and hold a square to view hints on iPad
• Enter Numbers and other special characters by holding down keys
• One tap downloads all of today's puzzles
• Nearly unlimited puzzles from many different sites
• US and UK Cryptic puzzles available
• Hints, Websites, and Clue lookups
• Enter answers in 'ink' or 'pencil'
• Quickly see your recently played, or sort by date or provider
• Detailed info on each puzzle
• Post your solve times online and compare with other solvers
• Grab older puzzles with a tap
• Tap the clue list with two fingers to adjust the font size (iPad only)
Included Puzzle Sources:
+ We are currently working with several of the recently removed providers; we hope to have these puzzles back soon. Thanks for your patience! +
• NY Times (Premium Crosswords subscription required)
• Brendan Emmett Quigley's Weekly Puzzle
• Elizabeth C. Gorski's Crossword Nation
• Inkwell Crossword
• Village Voice
• Chronicle of Higher Education
• The Independent
• Manchester Evening News
• King Features Crosswords (Joseph, Sheffer, and Premier)
• Telegraph UK Quick & Cryptic Crosswords (subscription required)
• People Magazine
• Additional puzzles downloadable via the Puzzle Browser; browse the web and download more!
* Providers list subject to change. Some providers may no longer be publishing, but may still have older puzzles available in Archive form, accessible via the "Download Older Puzzles" option. *
•• For support, please visit our website at http://www.standalone.com ••
• You can tap on the clue text at the bottom of the screen to toggle across & down
• Rotate the screen to see both the puzzle and clues
• Touch for a moment then drag to precisely select a square.
• Touch the Plus to download older puzzles
Please note that Crosswords requires an internet connection to download puzzles. Syncing puzzles to your Mac requires the purchase of Crosswords from the Mac App Store.
What's New in Version 2.60
Fixed an upgrade issue for the new Crosswords
Crosswords Classic Is the Best
ICrosswords Classic is by far the best crossword app I have used. There are no ads. Crosswords updates it's inventory of puzzles to solve every day. The puzzles come from various sources so the degree of difficulty ranges from easy to hard. Crossworders who do puzzles from the same source get used to recurring clues of the creator which then makes the puzzle easier to solve. This is also eliminated by the multiple sources Classic uses. I have had this app for 7months and still have over 60 puzzles to solve. And every day I get new ones. Crosswords Classic has saved me the money of renewing a subscription to a crossword magazine because it is no longer necessary. I will sum it up in one sentence. I highly recommend Crossword Classic to anyone who enjoys solving crosswords.
Best cost/time occupied app
I've had this app for years and for $10 it is well worth it. The best part is that you don't need Internet connection to play previously downloaded puzzles so if I'm in an area with limited connectivity and can't browse my normal websites or Facebook I still have something to do with myself.
Great app. I recommend it to everyone.
I'm a crossword junkie. I admit it. This app is fast and fun.
One thing though, I have had several puzzles that include numbers. There doesn't seem to be any way to access the numbers on the keyboard, so you have to use a hint and reveal the squares with numbers in them. Sorta lame.
Can this functionality be added in a future release?
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 26, 2013
- Version: 2.60
- Size: 8.2 MB
- Languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish
- Seller: Stand Alone, Inc.
- © 2008-13 Stand Alone, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Dell Magazine #1$1.99
- Brendan Emmett Quigley's Puzzles$1.99
- Multiplayer Support$0.99
- Jonesin' Crosswords$2.99
- Ridonkulous Crosswords$1.99
- Brendan Emmett Quigley's Favorites Volume 1$2.99
- Ben Tausig's Editorial Favorites, Vol, 1$1.99
- Matt Gaffney's Music Crosswords$2.99
- MacNamara's Band Vol. 1$1.99
- You Can't Do That in a Crossword$2.99