By Anywise Enterprise, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Gym Buddy is the best-looking, most powerful and most versatile workout log on any platform!
Do you really need your workout log to teach you how to do a bench press? No, you just want to record your workout, quickly and easily. Other apps may include a bunch of stuff you don't need, but they don't give you the stuff you do.
Key features include:
- Allows you to edit your sets after you input them. Change the time, note, weight & reps anytime and anywhere they appear. You can move them from workout to workout, or even change the associated exercise.
- Has three countdown timers to monitor your rest periods. They beep and buzz independently at any duration and can even be set to start automatically when you enter a set.
- You can define an unlimited number of Plans for each workout where you can store your goals for that day. Each plan can contain a unique subset of the exercises in a workout and may also be sorted independently.
- Workouts can be sorted into different Groups of Workouts.
- You view your results in a concise, compact format that is definable by workout, time frame, and exercise. With the Calendar view you can view an entire month of workouts in one glance, seeing the date, name of the workout, and your workout volume -- then flip from month to month. Select a day in the calendar and you see all the sets you performed on that day.
- Allows you to email your history -- also by workout, exercise, and time -- for backup and input to a spreadsheet.
- With a wifi connection to a computer, you can backup and restore the database -- so you don't have to worry about the security of your data.
- Shows your previous workout results right on the input screen, so you know what your goal is -- no searching, no tabbing, its just there.
- Calculates your One Rep Max for each set and tracks your all-time best, which it celebrates by flipping the screen and yelling, "YES!"
- Draws a graph of your One Rep Max history for each exercise, breaking down each workout by set number (up to five sets) and also by your best set. Also graphs your Workouts by volume.
- Tracks and graphs your weight, body fat, BMI, and lean body mass, or anything else that can be expressed as a number including body measurements and supplement intake, and also includes an interval timer. No need to buy separate apps.
- Includes a detail screen for each workout and exercise showing an extensive summary of your performance.
- Compatible with Kilograms and allows for decimal weights.
- Allows for supersets, bodyweight, and assisted weight exercises. Cardio exercises can have up to four user-defined data fields.
What's New in Version 3.3
Want to view and edit your data on a desktop? Check out Gym Buddy Central!! www.gymbuddycentral.com. Free 3-day trial.
- Timers will now continue to sound when Gym Buddy is in the background, even if your device is locked.
- Redesigned emailing. You can now email your data in spreadsheet or human-readable format. You can also email your database, and even restore it via email.
- File Sharing iTunes is now active for Gym Buddy.
- Fixed a bug in the Calendar regarding scheduled events in the past.
- Fixed a bug where user preferences weren't being saved correctly.
Best Workout App... but ugly icon
***Update*** one additional request: to optionally be able to add pictures to the exercise database!! Sometimes I can't remember the exercise by the name, especially when I try something new.
I tried a bunch of apps out there for logging my workouts, and this one is definitely the best.
According to user rates and reviews, iPump's Fitness Builder and BodyBook are some of the best ones, but after trying them, I can save you some time and money by telling you that Gym Buddy is definitely better.
Fitness Builder is nice looking, but terrible if you just want to quickly log your workout. And the monthly membership is a scam. Oh, and all those pictures make the app slow and it crashes all the time.
Bodybook is simple... but maybe a little bit too simple. It lacks a lot of cool features that this app has.
Gym Buddy has great features. I personally like the calendar showing previous workouts. But the best thing about this app is that it's really easy to log your reps and weight while you're working out. This can be difficult when you have your iphone on an arm strap and you're sweating and your hands are shaking. But it's easy with this app!
The one thing I don't like is that ugly emoticon they put as the icon for the app. I hate the way it looks, so I had to move it out of my main screen. Please change it!! It would be nice to have it more accessible on the main screen, but it looks awful next to the other icons!
Fantastic for Gironda or a replacement for Gym Boss
Forget about the other app in the store, this is the one to get if you don't want to hassle with navigating menus while working out. Once you have your routine set, a quick touch of the screen and your set is recorded. Done. This is perfect for programs like Gironda where you use the same weight for 8 sets....hit the check box and hit the timer for :15 sec or whatever you like and boom, you are ready for the next set. The interval timer is great too. I agree with other reviewers when they say that the interface/graphics are dated and could really use a facelift but then again it does what I need it to do and that's good enough for me. My biggest complaint is the fact that you have to buy the Gym Buddy Central in order to view and update your logs on your home computer for $10. What I love about Lose It is the fact that I can enter information on my iPod or computer and the information is updated on the fly and that is 100% free (nice updated graphics interface included). I haven't looked in to it too deeply yet but I'm also worried if all of my custom exercises would be lost in the xfer should something happen to my iPod. Because of these last two caveats I only give this app ****
great app for experienced lifters
this app is great if you are an experienced lifter. if you are looking for an app that has pre-loaded workouts you can do, this isn't the app for you, the men's health app is for that. But if you know what exercises you want to do, for a workout, if comes pre-loaded with a lot of different exercises and you can create your own exercises. You can group the exercises to create different workouts and it tracks your progress by calculating one-rep maxes for each exercise, informing you when you post a personal best. I highly recommend if you want to improve at the gym. I can see a graph of my one-rep maxes and it tells me how much i've improved. Rather then going to the gym and "recalling" incorectly that I can do said amount for said number of reps, I know exactly how much and for how many reps I did an exercise, and can then push my self to do one more rep or a little more weight. I've made great improvements in lifting as a result and love this app.
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Sep 18, 2010
- Version: 3.3
- Size: 9.1 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: Anywise Enterprise, LLC
- © 2008 Anywise Enterprise, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.