Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus
By jDictionary Mobile
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
* Featured by Apple in "STAFF FAVORITES" and "WHAT'S HOT"
Features that make Advanced English Dictionary stand out from other dictionary apps:
● Widely recognized as the most comprehensive English dictionary on the App Store with a 4.9 million word database
● High-quality audio pronunciation (American, British and Australian English)
● Advanced search technology
● Lightning fast and intuitive user-interface
● No internet connection required
● No ads, no in-app purchases
Advanced English Dictionary is distinguished from the other (paper, electronic) dictionaries in many ways. Not because it contains far more words than a conventional paper dictionary, but because it uses a radically new approach and technology. Instead of just listing the words and their definitions, Advanced English Dictionary shows how every word is linked to another. Type in the word "tree" and you will get not only the definition, synonyms and opposites, but the hypernyms (a tree is a kind of what?), meronyms (what are the parts of a tree?) and more. You can also find a list of hundreds of trees, from yellowwood to the Tree of Knowledge. This revolutionary approach will help you to understand the meanings of words better. Take a look at the screenshots to see it in action!
● Up to 591,700 entries, 4.9 million words, 335,000 relations
● Audio pronunciation (available in American, British and Australian English, in both male and female voices)
● Content sensitive IPA pronunciation symbol assistance
(just tap the pronunciation guides to open it)
● Clear and precise definitions
● Apart from "everyday" words and definitions, Advanced English Dictionary also includes biographical and geographical data, technical and scientific terms and more
● Unique conceptual thesaurus with word links
● Sample sentences show you how to use the words in your own speaking and writing
● Fast look-ups, snappy user interface, smooth scrolling screens
● Editable history/bookmarks function
● Word Shake - shake the device to look up random words!
● Designed specifically for iPhone/iPod touch
● No internet connection required (except to play audio pronunciation)
● Ready for iOS 7
● Powered by iSpeech® technology
“Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus rises above the rest with a good interface, fast speed, and a unique way of looking up words. […] Recommended for anyone needing a dictionary and thesaurus on the go”
“This is no ordinary dictionary. In addition to being an almost infinite resource of words and what they mean, it also educates users as to how words are linked. […] It’s a new take on an old, but incredibly useful, concept and one that will no doubt gain many fans”
— Clare Hopping, Know Your Mobile
“Its superior biographical and geographical data and its pleasing interface gives jDictionary Mobile's offering a slight edge”
— Sam Felsing, Macworld
“For exploring the language, it has the edge, the upper hand, the whip hand, etc.”
— Tony Smith, TheRegister.com
“This is a sleek dictionary with a cool "word links" feature that briefly describes the history around that word. It's easy to use and I love the pronunciation guide for those more esoteric words”
“Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus app is one of the best reference apps you can download on your iPhone”
— The Recapp
What's New in Version 7.4
- Rebuilt from the ground up for iOS 7
- New app icon
- Minor bug fixes
Great quick resource
I love this app. I purchased it in 2008 or so for my iPod Touch and ever since it's been my hands-down preference over the other dictionary/thesaurus apps I've tried. I find it to be educational and easy to use (brilliantly simplistic and organized), of course, but also consistently reliable and, with its latest version, entertaining! All sorts of idioms were added, and I tell you what, the audiences for my cocktail party stories are probably thankful too! (I use them to describe a situation for which there are otherwise no words.) If I had to come up with a complaint, it would be that I would like even more synonyms to accompany the definitions--akin to the Rogers Thesaurus that divided it's contents into two major sections, the latter being a straight-up thesaurus, the former organizing words by major category and sub-category--great for when you want to find that perfect descriptive but narrowly-defined word. In short, I think anyone who purchases this dictionary app will be very pleased with their money spent.
Epic App and Best App Support
I downloaded this app to help me expand my vocabulary. Since I write a lot of poetry, I'm always eager to learn new words because it helps me reduce repetition of words and gives me a large selection of words to increase variety. At first I had trouble accessing features that it advertised in the description, and suspecting false advertising, I wrote an email expressing my disappointment. Within a few minutes I had a response! Not only did they address my issue quickly, but the email itself was thorough and very helpful. It turns out, I was taking the wrong steps to access the features! After the email, I understood how to use the app and I regained my love for this app!! Although there are many great dictionary apps and many apps with great app support, it is rare to find one with both. This app is definitely one of those apps :)
The most comprehensive dictionary app
This dictionary app is my favorite, because it is very complete, carries technical definitions and easy to use. It also has contemporary words like 'phishing', 'body wrap', 'google bomb', 'man cave' etc. It works fast too and starts to suggest words as you type further assisting the search process. Everything works without an Internet connection.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 15, 2013
- Version: 7.4
- Size: 41.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Csaba Kertesz
- © 2008-2013 jDictionary Mobile
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.