Kindle – Read Books, eBooks, Magazines, Newspapers & Textbooks
By AMZN Mobile LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Carry a library in your pocket anywhere you go. Get access to more than 3,000,000 books and audiobooks including over 850,000 Kindle exclusive titles. With the Kindle app, get your book once and read it on any device and share across your family’s devices. Choose from a wide selection of books, newspapers, and magazines from Wall Street Journal, New York Times to Reader’s Digest.
Build your own library
• Read a sample of any book before adding it to your library
• Share your books across your household with Family Library
• Get personalized recommendations with Welcome Experience
• Get popular magazines and newspapers, and even textbooks with high-resolution color images
• Go into your local library to check out an eBook, and have it delivered wirelessly to your Kindle app
Best reading tools
• Customize your reading experience with your preferred font style, font size, background color, line spacing and margin size
• Enjoy nighttime reading with adjustable screen brightness
• Easily edit or change highlight colors, and select long passages that span multiple pages
• Tap and hold text for instant definition and translations
• Search inside the book to find key ideas, characters, and locations using smart look-up, as well as background info and biographies from Wikipedia within the app with X-Ray for Books (English, German, Japanese, Chinese titles only)
• Accessibility features make it easier for blind and visually impaired readers to navigate Kindle libraries, read & interact with books, and more
• Enjoy unlimited access to over 800,000 titles and thousands of audiobooks with Kindle Unlimited eBook Subscription
• Automatically synchronize bookmarks, annotations, and your furthest page read across devices and app with Whispersync
• Switch seamlessly between reading your Kindle book and listening to its audio companion with Whispersync for Voice
• Maintain the rich formatting of your textbook, just like the print edition, with Kindle Print Replica
• Explore important terms in your textbook using X-Ray, including links to Wikipedia and YouTube content
• Make your own flashcards or auto-generate them to brush up on concepts, terms, and definitions after each chapter
Organize your reading
• Easily group your reads into custom categories with Kindle’s Collection. The sorted collections are then stored in the Cloud linked to your Amazon account
• Send PDFs or any documents to Kindle for later reading. Amazon provides free Personal Documents Service to assist with file transfers
What's New in Version 4.20
Double spread layout for comics
Fix for Cloud Library sync problems (for very large libraries this might take a few seconds)
Bug fixes and performance improvements
I have had my iPad for about a year. I had a kindle fire but wanted something with better apps. When I first got the iPad the kindle app worked great, I never had any issues. Not sure what happened but since the last few updates things have gone downhill significantly. The app takes a long time to load. Books take a while to open. Turning pages, I feel like am constantly hitting the screen and nothing happens. It's extremely frustrating especially since reading is a part of my everyday life. I'm glad to know since reading other reviews I'm not the only one having these problems. It would be great if the app could go back to working the way it was before the updates.
Love my Kindle!
I received an actual Kindle some years ago; it was among the first to be introduced, and I enjoyed it immensely. Later my husband gifted me with an iPad and I downloaded the Kindle app. I think the Kindle is wonderful! It has allowed me to download and read books whenever I want rather than having to wait until I get to a bookstore. That said, as a book lover, I still sometimes miss holding an actual book in my hands and turning the pages and, depending on the book, I still sometimes prefer to have a paper copy. Still, I wouldn't give up my Kindle. It is a wonderful convenience!
My favorite app
The flexibility the app allows is fantastic. I like to read whenever I have some free time like waiting for the kids after school or in the waiting room for an appointment. Occasionally I am somewhat sensitive to light and the ability to read with a dark background as well as dim the brightness of the white words is nice. Often I read at night and I really like that I can lock the pages within the app without locking everything else. The only feature I would like to see is the option to choose whether to scroll or flip through the pages. Great app overall.
- Category: Books
- Updated: May 16, 2016
- Version: 4.20
- Size: 89.1 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: AMZN Mobile LLC
- © 2009-2016 Amazon.com, Inc. or its Affiliates.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.