By Tord Romstad
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Strong free chess program.
* Free, but much stronger than most commercial iPhone chess apps!
* Plays aggressive and dynamic chess, and is not afraid of sacrificing material for initiative or attacking chances.
* Adjustable playing strength.
* Choose between several styles of play: "Passive", "Solid", "Active", "Aggressive" or "Suicidal".
* Big, deep and varied opening book. Choose between three levels of book variety.
* Displays book moves and engine analysis, including search depth, evaluations and main lines.
* Allows you to easily set up board positions.
* Able to think during the opponent's time, for maximum playing strength (disabled by default, in order to save battery life).
* Supports saving and loading games to PGN files, sending games by e-mail, and transferring PGN files between your device and your computer.
* Play against the machine, or play both sides, with or without book moves and engine analysis displayed on the screen.
* Choose from nine piece sets and eight color schemes.
* Complete source code available under the GNU General Public License.
What's New in Version 2.7.0
NOTE: Unfortunately, there's an annoying bug in this version. Every game you look at in the nifty new game preview widget will cause the performance to degrade somewhat, until you exit and restart the program. A new version that corrects this bug will be available soon.
In the days of automatic app udates, does anyone still read release notes? Probably not, but in case someone out there still does, this is what's new in Stockfish for iOS 2.7.0:
* Support for importing games (in standard algebraic notation with English piece letters, with or without PGN headers) and positions (in Forsyth-Edwards Notation) from the clipboard. Just copy the game or position to the clipboard before starting the app, and Stockfish will offer to import it.
* Improved interface for loading games from databases. This is still a work in progress, but even in its current form, it's an improvement compared to the old interface.
* Added the ability to search by player name in PGN databases.
* Individual games in PGN databases can now be deleted.
* Added a few built-in databases of games by famous historical chess players, because it appears to be a fashionable thing to do, and because it gives you all a chance to experiment with the various new PGN related features and pester me with bug reports.
* Fixed a major bug that caused the menu options for configuring the remote engine not to work properly on the iPhone.
* Lots of minor user interface improvements throughout the program. You probably won't notice anything unless you are one of those who habitually go through all menus and try out everything you can find in every new version, but lots of minor stuff has been made a tiny bit prettier, smoother and more convenient.
* A new version of Bryan Whitby's "Modern" piece set, now with higher resolution for the iPad.
* The "XBoard" piece set has been removed. It was so similar to the "Merida" piece set (but with lower resolution) that I decided it was better just to drop it.
* Several minor bug fixes.
This is a great app, but in all honesty it could be a lot better if simply the effort were out into it
-Fix bug that causes the program to "downgrade somewhat" after all y'all said you would fix it soon half a year ago!
-Fix bug that causes crashing for IPhone5S and iPad air
-add Elo strength instead of 1-20
-mabye the ability to display captured pieces
-Use latest stockfish DD engine if not already
- Add ability to show arrows for recommended move in options
-Add better looking coordinates
Thanks you for reading and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would absolutely love these updates soon
Nice update, but too much white
Thanks for the great update!
This is an excellent program, but we really need an option to have a black background.
The white background is just too bright and glaring when playing chess.
Best chess app
Only thing I dislike is how they changed the computer difficulty from Elo ratings to 1-20 which is confusing.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Sep 26, 2013
- Version: 2.7.0
- Size: 17.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Tord Romstad
- © 2009-2013 Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, Joona Kiiski
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.