By DIRECTV, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The ultimate video experience is just a tap away with the DIRECTV App for iPhone. Watch top TV channels live on your iPhone® or iPod touch® in any room of your home. And now you can get instant access to hit entertainment on demand from HBO®, Cinemax®, STARZ®, and Encore®, plus the latest DIRECTV CINEMA movies and more, whenever and wherever you want—at home or on the go.
Limited programming available. Additional charges may apply.
Available for customers in the USA only.
- Now watch movies and shows on demand at home or on the go from HBO®, Cinemax®, Starz®, Encore®, and more.
- Turn your iPhone into a portable TV and watch top TV channels live in any room of your home.
- Set your DVR to record your favorite shows from anywhere.
- Browse programs without interrupting what you are currently watching on TV.
- Get program descriptions, cast & crew info, photos, recommendations & parental ratings.
- Watch thousands of your favorite shows and movies right on your iPhone.
- “Live TV” displays a list of channels available to watch on your iPhone within the home.
- Set parental controls, and enjoy peace of mind over what your children are watching.
- Browse and discover thousands of On Demand titles.
- Search for DIRECTV CINEMA movies based on categories.
- Search for any television show up to 14 days in advance, view top picks of the week, and sort by programs you can watch on your iPhone.
- Record shows by a single episode or entire series to any DIRECTV DVR in your home.
- Add additional time to the start or end of a recording request or select to manually record a channel for a specific amount of time.
- Set recordings for DIRECTV CINEMA movies to watch on your home TV any time. Order movies and events without your receiver connected to a phone line.
- Share your favorite shows with friends on Facebook and Twitter.
- Quickly get info and set recordings for DIRECTV shows your friends on Facebook & Twitter posted.
- Browse the top shows and movies people are currently talking about and set your DVR to record.
- Manage your account.
- Instant access to Mobile Answer Center link for FAQs.
- Browsing functionality is available to everyone.
- Recording functionality is available to DIRECTV customers with a DVR only.
- Compatible with iPhone 3GS or newer running iOS v4.3 or later, and iPod touch running iOS v5.0 or later.
- DIRECTV customers must have a residential home account registered on the DIRECTV website to watch On Demand content and access recording functionality.
- Watching On Demand content requires an active Wi-Fi or 3G Internet connection. For best performance, connect to a strong Wi-Fi signal.
- Available content is based on your current programming package and premium service. Not all content is available to stream at this time.
- Scheduling a recording requires a Wi-Fi, Edge or 3G Internet connection and a DIRECTV Plus® DVR (models R15, R16, R22), DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23, HR24) or TiVo® Series 2 receivers with 6.4a software. Receivers do not require phone or Internet connection to schedule a recording.
- In rare instances, scheduled recording(s) may not be recognized.
- On Demand scheduling requires a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (model HR20 or later or R22) connected to the Internet.
- Tips, Tricks and Customer Support are available on the DIRECTV website
What's New in Version 3.8.008
Now you can stream even more of your favorite movies and shows, live and On Demand! We¹ve added 13 new channels to our Live TV Streaming and On Demand lineup, including Ovation, Showtime Showcase, QVC, MSNBC, and more.
Update includes additional performance enhancements and bug fixes.
Please note: This will be the last version of the app that supports iOS 7.x. Future versions will require iOS 8 or later.
Poor design, worse functionality
Poor design: take a tip from almost all other apps on the market, throw away this app and start over with a new design. This time try to remember that the end user is not a developer. You should hire someone who knows nothing about development and ask them if this app is easy or intuitive. It is not. When will the world of developers wake up and realize that if you want a product that exceeds expectations, build something that the intended user can actually enjoy. Horrible app. It is identical to the 30 second wait time when changing channels on the regular remote. Give us the new equipment and apps that work well and are intuitive to use. You made this app way too fancy and it has poor functionality.
I am continually disappointed with my switch back to DirecTV after a few years with U-verse. Although the programming is good, the equipment and technology are lagging behind he competition. This app is just one more example of that. It tries to do too many things and does none of them well.
My biggest complaint with the app is that roughly every other time I try to open it, it gets stuck on "Initializing" at the launch. After about 45 seconds of hopeful frustration, I have to close out of the app, delete it from my device, go to the App Store, and reinstall it.
Being an optimist by nature, I will remain ever faithful that they will get his issue fixed until either there is an update that resolves this problem or my contract with DirecTV is up.
A truckers view
It's a great app get get to watch my sports on my phone and everything else is a plus but as a trucker, I spend most of my time out and stuck in a truck and wish this app could transfer its image to the tv. I have an iPhone 5 and use a AV DIGITAL ADAPTER to transfer the image to my tv in the truck but unfortunately this app only transfer sound and no image so I'm stuck hearing the sound from the tv and looking at a much smaller view on my phone. Other than that it's a great app.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Dec 18, 2014
- Version: 3.8.008
- Size: 45.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: DIRECTV
- ©2014 DIRECTV, LLC.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.