By Magmic Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
New Puzzle Packs! You can now buy collections of hand-picked puzzles selected from the NYTimes archives. Get started with your complimentary puzzle pack by visiting the in-game puzzle store.
Play tomorrow's puzzle today with a subscription. All daily puzzles are available on the previous day at 10 PM EST. **Note - The hardest puzzles are on Saturdays & Sundays and the easiest puzzles are usually on Mondays & Tuesdays. **
The only mobile crosswords application officially licensed by The New York Times.
With The New York Times Crosswords, you can play the same puzzles that are published daily in the print newspaper!
• Native support for iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone (with Retina graphics)
• Play the daily puzzle from The New York Times newspaper
• Play more than 6,000 classic puzzles from The New York Times archive
• Compete against top players via the online leaderboards
• Listen to the in-game soundtrack or your favorite tunes from your iPod
• Write in ‘pen’ or ‘pencil’
• Solve puzzles on the grid or directly from the clues list
• Automatically highlight related clues
• Check or reveal letters, words or the entire puzzle
The New York Times Crosswords comes with a one week free trial of the official daily puzzles from The New York Times and its archive of more than 6,000 classic puzzles! After the initial free week you can purchase a subscription to continue playing the daily and archive puzzles.
Your Subscription Renewal Options:
• Every year for $16.99
• Every six months for $9.99
• Every month for $2.99
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
• Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal renewal (at your current subscription rate; see above) within 24 hours of the end of the current period.
• You can manage or turn off auto-renewal at any time following purchase from your iTunes account settings.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of the free trial will be forfeited when a subscription is purchased.
“The animations are utterly gorgeous. Before even setting a single letter on to the grid, it was clear that this is a different breed of iPhone game – it’s smart, paced and incredibly classy.”
- The Apple Blog
“iPhone-toting crossword addicts now have a new way to feed their addiction.”
This version also includes new high definition graphics for the iPhone 4S retina display and three interfaces in one application with an enhanced experience for the iPhone 4S, iPad and the original iPod Touch/iPhone platform.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help with subscriptions. Note that you must set up an account within the app to use the connected features.
Follow us on Twitter or Like us on Facebook for NYTimes Crosswords Updates!
What's New in Version 1.8
Hey Crossword fans! Here's what's in the latest update:
- Updates for iOS 7!
- Improved application stability
Make sure to take advantage of our weekly puzzle pack sales!
Decent program...but support is lacking. And WHY WON'T IT SEE A KEYBOARD??!
Doesn't recognize when I have my Bluetooth keyboard attached--it should dismiss the Onscreen keyboard and use the real estate more efficiently.
Infuriatingly, the content subscription is SEPARATE from anything you have already paid to the NYT. They have claimed that they are working on this...for SEVERAL years now. I'll believe it when I see it.
Something needs to be done about rebus answers...eg the day that the rebus squares needed to contain "black or white" but we're only deemed correct if you typed "bw"
Sometimes they send out the wrong puzzle. For example, on the day I am updating this they put out a diagramless puzzle--but the app doesn't have the features necessary for solving diagramless puzzles. See above complaints about (1) unresponsive support; separate subscription from NYT. If I could just go solve the correct puzzle at the NYT times I wouldn't care so much.
I like solving on the iOS devices, but seriously, if they don't improve the support or the licensing terms I am going to bail on them.
(Also...although this is no criticism of the app, really: the timed scoreboard is nice, but the leaders seem to have impossibly fast times. Something should be done about people who solve the puzzle offline first, then race to type it in.)
My favorite crossword puzzles now fit in my pocket!!!
I've been a word game lover since I learned how to read & write.
I used to buy puzzle books to do & I'd always attempt to do the NYT Sunday puzzle that was printed in our local paper. The pure joy, excitement and, yes, ego boost that overcame me whenever I was able to solve a NYT puzzle was insane!!!
I absolutely recommend this app to any fan of crossword puzzles. They start off easy on Mondays and gradually get tougher through the week. The biggest upside to having the app (aside from not needing to work over erased squares and not needing to kill trees) is the vast library of older puzzles.
For $17/a year I have access to EVERY crossword puzzle the NYT has ever printed. If you're a word nerd, interested in exercising your brain or both, I cannot recommend this app any higher. GET IT!!!! NOW!!!!
Quit pushing the puzzle packs so hard
I love this app. I have been using it for years now, and it has steadily improved over that time period. My one big peeve right now is the puzzle pack popups. The popups load so slowly that I'll often have already tapped another part of the menu, then the popup will load and act as if I've tapped on it. It is SUPER annoying, AND it's a waste of money because the puzzle packs are nothing but themed bundles of puzzles you can already play if you go back through the calendar (learned that the hard way--$0.99 for a pack that contained puzzles I'd already completed years ago. Never again.) I might consider purchasing a pack if it contained pre-1995 puzzles or non-NYT puzzles, but as it is right now, they are a complete waste of money; you'd literally be paying for access to the same puzzles twice (albeit, not as nicely categorized).
- Category: Games
- Updated: Dec 18, 2013
- Version: 1.8
- Size: 15.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Magmic Inc.
- © Copyright Magmic Inc. Content Copyright The New York Times Company
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Daily and Archive Puzzle Subscription$2.99
- Daily and Archive Puzzle Subscription$16.99
- Daily and Archive Puzzle Subscription$9.99
- Easy Puzzle Pack Vol 23$1.99
- Add 1 month$1.99
- Add 1 year$16.99
- Sunday Mini Pack Vol. 3$0.99
- Easy Puzzle Pack Vol. 1$1.99
- Easy Puzzle Pack Vol 22$1.99
- Add 6 months$9.99