By Eiko Bleicher, Skizzix.com
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Shredder, the most successful chess program ever, is now also available for the iPhone. You can play against Shredder, analyze with him and solve chess puzzles. It offers the usual Shredder standard for your pocket.
In addition to the outstanding playing strength of the 12 times computer chess world champion, Shredder is also able to mimic the play of a human chess player with any playing strength. He even deliberately makes typical human mistakes in those levels.
Solve 1000 built in chess puzzles. Shredder keeps track of your performance and offers advice if needed.
You can adjust Shredder’s playing strength from beginner to master level. If you like, Shredder automatically adjusts his strength to yours. He even calculates an Elo rating for you. This is how the playing strength of chess players is typically measured.
During the game a coach is watching your moves and warns you if you are about to make a mistake.
See how you are getting better and better the more games you play and the more chess puzzles you solve.
* Adjustable playing strength
* Intuitive and very easy to operate
* 1000 built in chess puzzles
* See your rating in a diagram
* Outstanding playing strength on the iPhone
* Analyse your games with Shredder, find your mistakes and improve your play
* Coach shows your mistakes
* Different playing styles from passive to aggressive
* Great variety: opening book with more than one million moves
* Enter and analyze any position you like
* Load and save games (incl. names, date, etc.)
* Send games via email
* Different chess boards and pieces
* Support for VoiceOver / Accessibility
* Improve your play whenever and wherever you like
Save 10 USD/EUR when buying Shredder 12 or Deep Shredder 12 (Mac, Windows or Linux). You will find your coupon code in the program info section.
Also check out our highly refined version for iPad.
What's New in Version 1.5.0
This update brings you chess clocks and support for the larger iPhone 5 display.
We also added a "guest mode" to allow unrated games and puzzles if you let a friend play on your device.
You need iOS 5.0 or better to run Shredder now - so please update your device if you haven't done so already. If you don't want to update your device for any reason, your current installed version will continue working just fine, of course.
Please help us improving Shredder by rating it on every update. Thank you!
One of the best
There are several really nice chess engines for the iOS, and Shredder is right up there around the top. It has a really nice chess quiz/ puzzle feature, which most of the others lack, and it's really nice, but one thing I will point out in Shredder's favor that means a lot to me is that it is actually *fun* to play against (well, fun for a computer opponent, anyway). It adjusts its strength to match yours, and it is probably the best engine at doing this that I've played. It usually feels like you are playing an equal opponent rather than just stupidly dropping a piece, then getting super strong for a while until it's equal, then stupidly dropping a pawn, etc.
If I want to try to get the strongest analysis of a certain position on my phone, I'd probably use Hiarcs, since I think it's stronger, but I don't enjoy playing against Hiarcs, for whatever reason. Shredder feels more human, as an opponent.
If you are looking for a strong chess engine, though, you can hardly go wrong with Shredder. It's going to beat you every time if you unleash its strength, unless you are a grandmaster. And it's probably pretty annoyingly strong even then.
Great overall, two annoyances
A really great chess app overall, but two annoyances keep me from giving it five stars:
1. When setting up a scenario and playing as black, Shredder automatically rotates the board (so that black moves up the screen) when you start play. If this isn't what you want, you have to manually flip the board back, and if you're willing to live with it, you set yourself up for annoyance 2.
2. When your board is rotated and you go to set up a new scenario, it stays rotated even if you clear the board, and you can't flip it back from the scenario editor. This means you a) forget it's rotated and waste time setting up the position completely reversed, b) try to set up the position upside down, or c) exit the scenario editor, manually flip the board, and then go back into the editor.
Given that one of the main things I want this app for is playing out scenarios, these annoyances knock off a star. Fix them and it's easily five-stars, the best chess app around.
The actual strength of Shredder is most impressive, which. I personally attest to based on sudo matches against HIACS which is rated 350 ELO points higher. That is Shredder even won a game with the white pieces. Two problems do exist though. Shredder has a design format that is iPhone oriented which looks skewed on an iPad, not to mention that the interface layout leaves a little to be desired. More frustrating is that the standard Openings played by Shredder are very coffeehouse. Still a strong computer with an obnoxious personality makes for a very good training partner...Again for the consumer if you get annoyed or board with Coffeehouse Openings you can of course program your choice! Great but flawed!!!
- Category: Games
- Updated: Nov 29, 2012
- Version: 1.5.0
- Size: 23.0 MB
- Languages: English, German
- Seller: Eiko Bleicher
- © 2009 - 2012 shredderchess.com
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.