By WhatsApp Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
WhatsApp Messenger is a FREE messaging app available for iPhone and other smartphones. WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi, as available) to let you message and call friends and family. Switch from SMS to WhatsApp to send and receive messages, calls, photos, videos, and Voice Messages.
WHY USE WHATSAPP:
• NO FEES: WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi, as available) to let you message and call friends and family, so you don't have to pay for every message or call.* There are no subscription fees to use WhatsApp.
• MULTIMEDIA: Send and receive photos, videos, and Voice Messages.
• FREE CALLS: Call your friends and family for free with WhatsApp Calling, even if they're in another country.* WhatsApp calls use your phone's Internet connection rather than your cellular plan's voice minutes. (Note: Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details. Also, you can't access 911 and other emergency service numbers through WhatsApp).
• GROUP CHAT: Enjoy group chats with your contacts so you can easily stay in touch with your friends or family.
• WHATSAPP WEB: You can also send and receive WhatsApp messages right from your computer's browser.
• NO INTERNATIONAL CHARGES: There's no extra charge to send WhatsApp messages internationally. Chat with your friends around the world and avoid international SMS charges.*
• SAY NO TO USERNAMES AND PINS: Why bother having to remember yet another username or PIN? WhatsApp works with your phone number, just like SMS, and integrates seamlessly with your phone's existing address book.
• ALWAYS LOGGED IN: With WhatsApp, you're always logged in so you don't miss messages. No more confusion about whether you're logged in or logged out.
• QUICKLY CONNECT WITH YOUR CONTACTS: Your address book is used to quickly and easily connect you with your contacts who have WhatsApp so there's no need to add hard-to-remember usernames.
• OFFLINE MESSAGES: Even if you miss your notifications or turn off your phone, WhatsApp will save your recent messages until the next time you use the app.
• AND MUCH MORE: Share your location, exchange contacts, set custom wallpapers and notification sounds, email chat history, broadcast messages to multiple contacts at once, and more!
*Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details.
We're always excited to hear from you! If you have feedback, questions, or concerns, please email us at:
or follow us on twitter:
Note: WhatsApp is a telephony app, so iPod and iPad are not supported devices.
What's New in Version 2.17.61
• Search messages within a specific chat: Open any chat, tap the chat name at the top to go to Contact Info/Group Info, and then tap Chat Search.
• Design improvements for iOS 11.
• Post text-only updates to your status and they'll be visible for 24 hours. Just tap the pencil icon in the Status tab, type what you'd like to share, and pick a background color or font.
Plenty of room for improvement
As an avid user of social internet media , I found WhatsApp is lacking in many convenient features offered in other apps. I use Facebook when I want to express some thoughts, events etc. But FB Messenger is not efficient in quick text, so I still resort to 20 years old practice in text msg like in Nokia phones. WhatsApp is subservient to the features offered by WeChat. Understood that WeChat is by Tencent in China, nevertheless the features are amazing. The Moment posting functions are like Facebook post. The conversation wether individual or in chat groups are more user friendly than WhatsApp. It allows recalling a wrong message sent in mistake. Attaching files and emojis are awesome. My only complain is that once viewed in one device the message cannot be reviewed in an other, which FB allows all history conversation once logged in.
I lived in America over 47 years. I highly recommend friends to use WeChat for daily contacts over other apps.
Background refresh broken in update
It seems as if the background refresh is broken for the recent app versions on iOS 11. I often have several conversations that have new entries but until I foreground the app, they don't update and I don't receive notifications. This seems to be exacerbated when switching from Wi-Fi to network.
Additionally, I have the desktop version open, and frequently it seems to lose connectivity through the phone. My connection strength hasn't changed during the process, but multiple times during the day I have to reconnect through my phone.
Overall though, apart from these recent issues, it's a good app.
Cannot backup - erroneous messge
Upgraded to ios11; have made all the Whatsapp updates. App cannot backup - states yellow message there is no wifi connection and not enough space in iCloud - both not correct. Tried contacting support but no real help! Except for this, app is great.
Update: after direct email exchanges with tech support I was provided with different prodedures (some not applicable due to my ios version) and finally one specific paragraph to do an iCloud logoff, iPhone power off and back on everything. And it worked!! Many tks to Sylvester - support team member.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Oct 12, 2017
- Version: 2.17.61
- Size: 150 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bengali, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese
- Seller: WhatsApp Inc.
- © 2017 WhatsApp Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone.