By Cascade Software Corporation
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Have you ever wondered about how the government spends your tax dollars or have you looked for specific information on government spending. This application provides information for every dollar spent on US federal government contracts (from 2000 to 2012)
See TV news coverage of the app on http://www.king5.com/video/?nvid=357050 (Seattle's King 5 TV channel's program in May, 2009)
This app requires internet connectivity. It queries (regularly updated) federal government servers and provides spending data based on several different query criteria outlined below
1. Detailed Spending data including spending numbers, trends, pie charts, line graphs, purchases, contractors.
2. Spending data for specific Departments (e.g. Defense Department, Education Department, NASA etc.)
3. Spending data by location (state).
4. Spending data for specific products (e.g. Submarines, Alcoholic beverages, Bombs, Outerwear Clothing, Firefighting equipment etc.)
5. Historical data (from 2000 onwards) and current data (upto 2012) - a tool that will help the involved citizen who wants to hold government accountable for spending decisions and a tool that will help the casual user understand what the federal government is spending money on.
Note: This app provides data from 2000 to 2012.
2013 Government Spending Data is available as an optional in-app-purchase item (inside the app).
What's New in Version 2.0
1. Added 2012 Government Spending Data
2. Optimized for iOS 7 (code written to support iOS7 as well as iOS5/iOS6)
3. Several Platform-related updates (e.g. iOS 6 rotation changes, Programmatic layout changes to support different screen sizes, iOS versions, dealing with platform changes to status bar, navigation bar etc.) and other minor updates.
4. The changes listed above are free updates. This release also includes an in-app-purchase option for 2013 government spending data.
Note: In 2010, the Federal Government web-servers started malfunctioning because of software problems.
Over a period of several weeks, we worked with the Federal Government (and government contractors) to get the problem fixed.
We also worked with federal government contractors to fix their web-server problems in 2011 and 2012. So far in 2013 (until October), we have only reported one problem to the federal government and the service appears to be fairly stable.
We don't work for the Federal Government and we don't get paid for any of the trouble-shooting/bug-fix-help work we do. However, in the past, our app has been affected by quality issues in Federal Government web servers (that are not in our control). Apologies for problems encountered in past years.
Good simple app
This is a very good introduction to government spending overall...and where it's being done (by department).
A marvelous source of concise info on government spending
- Category: News
- Updated: Oct 28, 2013
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 2.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Cascade Software Corporation
- © Cascade Software Corporation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- 2013 Government Spending Data$1.99