By Wikimedia Foundation
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Official Wikipedia App for iOS. Wikipedia is the free encyclopedia containing more than 32 million articles in 280 languages, and is the most comprehensive and widely used reference work humans have ever compiled.
* Better search results with short descriptions of matching articles
* Search for and read Wikipedia articles written in any language
* Quickly share facts as image cards or text
* Saved pages for when you don't have a data connection
* Prominent image and description at the top of many articles
* High resolution image galleries
* Related article suggestions at the bottom of each article
* Nearby articles for exploring your current location
* Swipe left for quick section navigation table of contents
* Wikipedia Zero: data charges waived for participating mobile operators
Contribute to our translations:
Open source repository:
To send feedback in the app tap:
W > More > About the Wikipedia app > Send app feedback
What's New in Version 4.1.3
First, thanks to everyone for all of your feedback and comments. We have been working hard to fix bugs and your feedback has been extremely helpful to us. Please continue to leave reviews - we are reading them!
Second, we started an FAQ for our app here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Apps/FAQ. Check it out if you have questions.
Third, as you may of noticed, we are also releasing more frequent updates. We want to make sure we get fixes out to everyone as fast as possible. Reading your reviews doesn’t do us much good if we don’t ship our fixes!
Whew! With that out of the way, here is what’s in the latest release. (Hint: Bug fixes!)
* Faster page rendering!
* Re-added a ”delete all" button saved pages
* New buttons to see "similar pages" and "page issues" in an article
* Fix to properly display Latin titles. I’m looking at you, Lichtheimia corymbifera!
* Added more informative descriptions to the saved pages list
* New translations - Thanks to everyone who contributed, we are truly grateful! This app wouldn’t be possible without your contributions. (If you would like to help translate our app, please check out this link to find out more: https://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:WikimediaMobile)
* Many fixes to make info boxes and tables work more reliably
* Various fixes to improve overall article viewing and loading
* Fix for images not displaying properly in lists
* Fix for a crash when viewing an image gallery
* Several fixes for crashes that occur during data migration
* Numerous other crash fixes
Once again, thanks to all of you for using the Wikipedia iOS app and helping us make it better.
- The Wikimedia Reading Team
I like the new look but...
There are a couple of things that need to be changed:
1) The back and front arrows go to different pages than expected, pages that were viewed a while ago. It's annoying because you never know when you're going to get to the page desired.
2) I'm not a huge fan of the table of contents. I think that in settings there should be an option to where we can tap on the section and it opens like before the recent update.
3) What happened to all of my saved pages? If you could kindly bring those back that would be great. If not, please warn before updates, thanks.
4) When searching for a new item could you automatically delete what was previous searched like before the update. For example, if I search cat and then wanted to search dog I want cat automatically deleted when I open the search bar.
5) I absolutely hate the quick facts bar because most of the time the info there is what I want to see and to open it each time is annoying. Also, when I go back and forth don't have then collapse again. That's unnecessary.
6) I hope the designers can take these suggestions into consideration. Thank you.
Better than actual site.
This a faster more convenient version of Wikipedia. More reliable and there on the go whenever your curiosity peaks. With everything you need in an article sorted in a side bar ever so cleverly you'll never use a browser again to search for this. I recommend to all. Ignore all negative reviews about the app. The only thing wrong are the users who post the negative comments. Other grab that I'd love to see an update where we could change the background to a darker setting for us reading at night :)
ui just keeps getting better
The recent version of the wikip app has a number of user interface enhancements that make it a joy to use, and to look at. The save for offline heart is well-implemented, and bookmarking hs been improved as well. This continues to be the best way to access Wikipedia.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: May 13, 2015
- Version: 4.1.3
- Size: 7.2 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Armenian, Arpitan, Asturian, Avaric, Azerbaijani, Bengali, Breton, Catalan, Central Bikol, Chechen, Czech, Danish, Dimli (individual language), Dutch, Esperanto, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Gujarati, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Hunsrik, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Karachay-Balkar, Korean, Lithuanian, Lower Sorbian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Occitan, Oriya, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Rinconada Bikol, Romanian, Russian, Scots, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Upper Sorbian, Vietnamese, Yiddish
- Seller: Wikimedia Foundation
- © Wikimedia Foundation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.