By Wikimedia Foundation
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Official Wikipedia App for iOS. Wikipedia is the free encyclopedia containing more than 32 million articles in 280 languages, and is the most comprehensive and widely used reference work humans have ever compiled.
* Better search results with short descriptions of matching articles
* Search for and read Wikipedia articles written in any language
* Quickly share facts as image cards or text
* Saved pages for when you don't have a data connection
* Prominent image and description at the top of many articles
* High resolution image galleries
* Related article suggestions at the bottom of each article
* Nearby articles for exploring your current location
* Swipe left for quick section navigation table of contents
* Wikipedia Zero: data charges waived for participating mobile operators
Contribute to our translations:
Open source repository:
To send feedback in the app tap:
W > More > About the Wikipedia app > Send app feedback
What's New in Version 4.1.5
Before we get to what’s new, we have some important information for iOS 6 users: This is our last planned release which will support iOS 6.
For users who have iOS 6 devices, you can continue use the app for the foreseeable future, but will no longer receive app updates after 4.1.5. You will also be able to re-install 4.1.5 on any of your iOS 6 devices, even if you delete it.
For users with newer devices, you will be unaffected by this change, except that we have some exciting updates in the pipeline that were only possible after dropping support for iOS 6.
Now for what’s new:
* Lead images now load faster and fade in smoothly
* Switch article languages quicker with the new button in the toolbar
* More article layout improvements
* More reliable loading of articles from the cache
* Added a link to the FAQ in Settings > More
* New translations (Thanks to all our translators!)
* Fix crash on startup for some device languages (Like Norwegian)
* Several other crash fixes
Thanks to everyone for using the Wikipedia iOS app and helping us make it better.
- The Wikimedia Reading Team
Hey Wikipedia reading app team, I've noticed a few rather harsh and unnecessarily negative reviews lately, so I finally decided to take the time and let you guys know how I feel. You're doing a fantastic job! : ) I love the app, the consistency of updates/bug fixes, and of course, the time and effort put into its ongoing development. Keep on doing what you love, and don't let yourselves forget the value you add to people's lives. It's appreciated. (Even though most are probably like me and forget to write reviews!)
How about find in page?
Love it but wish there was a way to search for text within a page like a web browser. Still not there on the latest version.
• Full screen images look bad; the entire top is dimmed to ensure close button visibility. Why not place a dark circle behind the X?
• "W" menu looks really bad. Please use standard iOS menus. Please.
• Wikipedia logo on toolbar looks too large compared to search button.
• "Send usage reports" should be opt-IN, not opt-out. It's wrong to bury it & not inform users.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jun 24, 2015
- Version: 4.1.5
- Size: 7.3 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Armenian, Arpitan, Asturian, Avaric, Azerbaijani, Bengali, Breton, Catalan, Central Bikol, Chechen, Czech, Danish, Dimli (individual language), Dutch, Esperanto, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Gujarati, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Hunsrik, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Karachay-Balkar, Korean, Lithuanian, Lower Sorbian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Occitan, Oriya, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Rinconada Bikol, Romanian, Russian, Scots, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Upper Sorbian, Vietnamese, Yiddish
- Seller: Wikimedia Foundation
- © 2015 Wikimedia Foundation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.