Wiki Hunt - The Wikipedia Game
By Dan Hassin
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
"Who knew Wikipedia could be so fun?" - Touch Arcade
"One of the most innovative games on the iPhone ... A great little app to pass the time and challenge your thinking." - App Storm
Wiki Hunt is a new and intriguing game of linking two unrelated Wikipedia articles in the least amount of clicks possible.
Navigate your way from one article to another via the links in the connecting articles. Challenge friends to see if they can link them in fewer clicks or if they can discover your path at all!
If you get stuck and if it's possible, Wiki Hunt can even calculate the quickest solution for the two articles!
- Get from a random article to Jesus' article in under 7 clicks
- Choose 2 articles to link - use anything that comes to mind!
- If you're looking for a challenge, have them picked at random
- See the shortest path for any two articles if possible
- Share your completed games directly via email or Twitter
- Search for phrases within long articles to make linking easier
- Quit and resume your game at any time
For only $1.99, Wiki Hunt is the perfect solution to pass the time, challenge your creativity, and learn new information along the way!
What's New in Version 1.3
- Added Six Clicks to Jesus game mode (where you start at a random article and have to get to Jesus in a maximum of 6 clicks)
- Added support for randomizing one of the articles in the custom game mode for iPhone version
Great concept, needs some polish.
What a fun and challenging way to browse wikipedia. I spend hours hopping from article to article, wiki hunt turns it into a clever game.
That said, this app needs some work. Specifically:
- Doesn't save progress when you exit the app in the middle of a hunt (to make or receive a call, etc).
- Going from article to article is very slow, even on fast wifi.
- progress sometimes gets lost of you use the built in back and forward buttons too much or too quickly.
Hopefully these issues can be addressed, but it's still worth a buck!
A bit wonky
Great idea; on my iPad, though, the only accessible game is the Use Random Articles selection. The other two crash consistently, so I've never actually been able to play them.
Also, in the Use Random Articles selection, there have been two times where one link listed in the solutions pull-down was non-existent on the page provided. The workaround, of course, was finding my own path, but I found this a bit curious.
Great idea, though.
Interesting but nearly impossible
If you like just browsing around wikipedia like I do then this gives a bit of a structure, but frankly when you calculate the sheer number of options it's pretty much impossible. If there were only three or so choices narrowed down on each article by highlighting then you might stand a fighting chance. Until then it doesn't really have the qualities of a real game. But high marks for creativity!
- Category: Games
- Updated: Apr 13, 2010
- Version: 1.3
- Size: 1.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dan Hassin
- © 2010 Dan Hassin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.