By Hesham Wahba
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
I'm currently celebrating the release "Cato's Hike", my new game to teach children (and adults) basic programming! Please check out and enjoy :)
Tracing Paper is a simple yet elegant universal application for the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch that helps you practice and improve your drawing and sketching skills by giving you a blank translucent canvas with a clean and simple grid on which you can trace anything you wish as often as you like. I believe it will be great for anyone who enjoys drawing or for kids that just want to play around!
After choosing a photo from your library you can adjust its size and location under the canvas using your fingers to pinch to rotate/zoom and one finger to drag it around, then you just trace and shade whatever you wish using your finger. If you make a mistake simply choose the eraser tool and erase your mistake (also, you can use the eraser creatively to help add details in ways that are different from simply drawing), or if you want more accuracy than an eraser there is undo/redo support for up to 8 actions. For those hard to see details zoom, rotate or pan the canvas in for further detail by simply pinching the canvas or using two fingers and dragging to move! For those details where we want the colors to really pop there is now support for coloring and changing the pencil size to draw larger or smaller details as needed! For those moments where you want to quickly fill a region, there is now flood fill support, just press the bucket tool and click in an enclosed region to fill in.
After you are done, wow the world and save your masterpiece to your Photo Library or share it via Email, Facebook, Twitter, PDF or even copy to the clipboard or use open-with to open it in compatible programs to touch it up!
Tracing Paper features:
• Super-smooth drawing with proprietary OpenGL-based rendering engine
• 2 pencil styles
• Support for tracing any photo from your device’s photo album
• Gallery mode to browse to create/load/edit your traces
• Shading support just like a real pencil, draw over the same area multiple times to shade it darker
• Changing brush size to help draw or shade larger areas
• Zooming, rotating and panning of the image to trace to focus on the details that matter (pinch to zoom/rotate, two fingers to pan)
• Flood Fill
• Undo/redo up to 8 actions
• Saving your creations to your Photo library
• Sending your traces via email, Facebook, Twitter, PDF, Open-with for other programs
I am definitely excited about this project and want to continue improving it as much as possible. I've already added many features based on feedback I've received and I'm always appreciative of new ideas that fit the vision and feel of this app. Please feel free to leave ratings and reviews however you feel and I will do my best to respond with updates!
You can reach me anytime at the email below or via twitter at: @tracingpaperios. Please feel free to email me ANY questions, comments or crashes you have. I will continue working to add new features.
- iPhone 5 and iOS6 fixes
- fix using the new pencil mode on iOS6
- save last used pencil settings
- many stability and OpenGL crash fixes, especially multitasking
- fix grid crashes
- support for the new iOS6 sharing sheet
- MORE STABILITY AND POLISH
- all new rendering engine OpenGL-based engine using shaders for smoother drawing and no lag!
- rotation for traces
- zoom or drag trace in/out from edges of device so can draw across whole surface!
- flood fill (bucket fill) tool to shade sketches quickly
- resizeable eraser
- faster/auto-saving so you don't lose your drawings!
- PDF export and email
- copy to clipboard to paste directly in emails or other programs
- "Open With..." to open background images from many programs directly into Tracing Paper
- "Open With..." to open your traces straight into other programs for finishing touches!
- undo up to 12 actions
What's New in Version 5.2.1
You've noticed the crashes sharing and you aren't alone! They have been fixed! If this fixes your issues please update your reviews or leave new ones as they are the lifeblood of Tracing Paper :)
- emergency fix to fix many of the crashes users have been having sharing images on iOS 6, many apologies for that
- rotation support on iOS6 restored to match iOS5, though additionally, gallery rotates now as well
I'm celebrating the release "Cato's Hike", my new game to teach children (and adults) basic programming! Please check out and enjoy :)
Please note, I've worked on updating all performance issues, if you still have any please send me feedback from the app in addition to on the app store. I couldn't reproduce any performance issues on the iPad3 as in one of the reviews.
- iPhone 5 and iOS 6 fixes
- fix using the new pencil mode on iOS 6
- save/restore last used pencil settings
- many stability and OpenGL crash fixes, especially multitasking
- fix rendering tracing grid to not show extra lines or crash on resize
- added support for the new iOS 6 sharing sheet for cleaner sharing UI
- raise limit to 3 traces in Trial mode
- fix problem using "Open With..." when already tracing
- eraser fixed to be round shape
- retina pencil icon and remove old icons
Start here if you want YOUR work vs. someone else's!
Great starting app. Being a novice, I thumbed through and downloaded more than a few apps looking for something to convert photos to sketches. Running the same photo in, they all seemed to create the same "piece" on the way out, which was really dependent on the quality of the original pic. Since some of the source pics were not the greatest, GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). Tracing Paper allowed me to flat out make my own sketch of the pic (better result) and also allowed me to meld different source material into a single sketch project. Again, great app!
I love this app!
This app is awesome, I love it so much! It has gradient color options for brush strokes. The brush strokes can be adjusted by size and type (pen vs. paintbrush). You can lock/unlock the grid (which can also be adjusted to desired transparency), pinch zoom, etc. Use two fingers to swipe the picture left/right.
I wish two things for this app:
I wish it had a smoothing/smudge tool feature.
I wish it had a "selector" tool, like the little hand icon that PDF docs have to drag the image around when you're zoomed in. Sometimes marks are left behind when you touch the image to move it.
Also, I wish it had a "color pick" option that would allow me to use a color that's been picked from the image itself. Most times I can get the color close, but not exact.
So I guess that's three things. Otherwise, this is my new favorite app and I use it everyday.
This app has made my life as an abstract mixed media artist so much easier... I love it! I can "quickly" include elements from photos I've taken, or do self-portraits for journals with Trace It! There are just a couple of features I wish it had, but I'm so happy with it until I dare not complain. Happy 2013! I'm back to re-iterate how AWESOME this app is for mixed media artists! Just an amazing tool! Great work developing this one. GREAT!
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Nov 12, 2012
- Version: 5.2.1
- Size: 4.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Hesham Wahba
- © Hesham Wahba
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.