By Ginger Labs
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Apple's Mac App of The Year!
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
SAVE TIME WITH MULTITASKING
- Takes notes while reading a textbook or PDF with Split View.
- Quickly search a term during note-taking with Slide Over.
- Watch a lecture or presentation while taking notes with Picture in Picture.
- Multitasking is available on select iPads running iOS 9 or later.
- Handwrite and sketch with beautiful ink.
- Write smoothly and quickly with zoom-writing.
- Automatic Palm Detection on iPad allows you to write naturally with your hand on the screen, just like pen on paper (Requires iOS 8 or later).
- Notability includes full-featured typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
- Outlines and text boxes help you quickly capture and organize ideas.
- The typing UI is uniquely designed on iPhone, iPad, and Mac for the best typing experience possible.
IMPORT AND ANNOTATE PDFs
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send PDF forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
AUDIO RECORDINGS: REVIEW AND GIVE FEEDBACK
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio and handwritten feedback to students.
ALL ELECTRONIC WORKFLOW
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
- Flip the classroom with live notes and videos for students to learn from at home.
ORGANIZE AND SHARE NOTES
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Twitter, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box and more.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox, Google Drive, or Box, can be used to backup your notes in PDF format and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.
What's New in Version 5.8.0
- iOS 9 Compatibility.
- Awesome Multitasking support! More info below.
- Import files and web pages with our new Share Extension.
Do more with Multitasking!
- Look up a term on the web or reference an email while taking notes with Slide Over.
- Read a textbook or PDF and take notes at the same time with Split View.
- Take notes while you watch a lecture or presentation with Picture in Picture.
If you're enjoying Notability, we'd appreciate it if you took the time to leave us a review, thanks!
Annoying format bar
I like everything about this app but there's one thing that's been really frustrating me since the last update.
I enjoy the fact that I am able to customize the format bar that appears at the top of the page when your taking notes. However, as soon as I started moving things around, like the spacing icon you can place on the bar so that everything's not clumped together, the entire app crashed on me. When I opened it again, all that showed on the format bar was the font, text size, text color, and text presentation (i.e. bold) in the center of the bar, and no font choice appeared either. I am still able to customize the bar, but the frustrating part is that now whenever I go to open the app, it has that same thing I just described every single time now no matter if I changed it before I closed it. It's as if it doesn't save what I changed it to.
Also, while I'm taking notes, the bar randomly disappears, & I have to consistently tap the top of the screen several times, sometimes return to the previous screen and open the note again, for it to reappear if I want to do any changes to the text. It gets pretty annoying because when I tap the top of the screen, I tend to pull down my notification bar, and I can't be recording if I go to the previous screen because then it stops.
I would really like for these issues to be fixed because I actually like this app, and I'm a full time student so I use it everyday for school.
I have been using it for about a month now and I'm happy with most of it except I wish the search feature would INCLUDE PDFs and PowerPoints. I will type a keyword and it doesn't find anything unless I specifically typed it in myself. I like that it can be integrated with Dropbox because most of my documents are stored there and are easily accessible. I also wish there is a feature where I can view multiple slides on a page rather than have to scroll through each page to find what I am looking for. Bookmarking helps a little but it is too tedious and as a college student who is trying to keep up with lecture, I won't have time for that.
EDIT: Another thing I thought of was since updating to iOS 9, I have not been able to open PDFs and PowerPoints from Safari. I have to manually upload them to my dropbox from a desktop computer and then download from there. It's an unnecessary step...I'm not sure if it is just Apple to blame or if it's an issue with the app itself. But I didn't have this issue before the update.
Love this app!
I have an iPad Air and have not had any lag or crashing issues other than occasionally when I take a photo of the board in class, it will crash. It's frustrating but switching around in apps is easy and fast. With that said, I don't always record audio and change apps.
The left handed mode doesn't seem to make sense to me as a lefty. I just use normal mode. So maybe have some lefties check out you left handed improvements in the future.
I like that it quickly and easily backs up to drop box or Google drive, could you add a feature to allow it back up to both at the same time? I have classmates linked to my drive acct and love Dropbox on my laptop so having it go to both would be nice.
This is the ONLY app that can handle my 1000+ page textbook PDF file. I purchased multiple PDF reader apps and they ALL crash! But not this one!
Thanks for a great app!! I look forward to future improvements!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Sep 22, 2015
- Version: 5.8.0
- Size: 81.8 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Ginger Labs, Inc.
- © Ginger Labs, Inc. 2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.