Play the #1 Backgammon on the App Store! Now with the best online Backgammon experience with background match-making and two ways to play online: Turn-based gameplay or live games via Game Center. Challenge your friends, play against random opponents, compete for leaderboard glory, and earn achievements.
- - - - - -
** Recommended by MacWorld as a Top Download for your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad in their November 2010 issue.
** “Backgammon Premium is the crème-de-la-crème ‘gammon’” 9 out of 10 stars Appaddicts.com!
** Nominated for “best dice game of 2009 in the 2009 Best App Ever Awards hosted by bestappever.com!
- - - - - -
Backgammon is believed to have started in Persia, eventually finding its way to Britain with the Roman conquest in the 1st century and was played by Emperor Claudius who even had his carriage equipped with a playing board! It became such a gambling mania that it was declared illegal under the Republic.
Playing on the history of the game, there are 6 visually pleasing, rich board designs; Egyptian, Roman, Medieval, Victorian, Modern and Classic.
We also offer, out of the box, two classic game variations: “Old English” and Nackgammon. “Old English” is the most popular game variation in England. Nackgammon is a more challenging variation designed to add more creativity and skill to the game.
With integrated Bluetooth Peer-to-Peer support you can play with your friends over Bluetooth with no network required! You can also play against the computer in either Easy, Medium, or Hard difficulties.
- Play online: Live with Game Center
- Background match-making: search for opponents while you play!
- Universal. Play on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad
- Single Player Games (with Easy, Medium, or Hard)
- Match support! Play to 3, 5, 9 or 15 points with Doubling. Matches use the Crawford Rule
- On the phone Multiplayer and Bluetooth peer to peer games
- Move-Assist, highlights available moves
- Unlimited “Undo” in single-player games
- Extensive game statistics
We've been busy fixing bugs and adding new device support.
Ratings and Reviews
Love It Even More
Update #13 January 20, 2019. mid-winter and still so excited about this backgammon. I am up to level 42 and the computer is getting more challenging. The company is working on a new edition. I am not sure this it yet. I see many improvements but I don’t think they have rolled out the bold new edition. I am looking forward to it. However, in the present edition The dice roll like true dice. I play only with true dice on my backgammon board. The computer is competitive and consistent in its play. I am up to level 42 Hard, and continue to see slight improvements. But here are more improvements I still want to see: 1. Honor international rules more: The Crawford rule is in effect, good, but one can win a gammon or backgammon with it in play. That’s not international rules. Quirk #2: in meaning to undo a move one can accidentally re-roll the dice for ones turn. Please fix. Quirk #3: in bearing off one has to be forced to maximize ones roll. Presently that’s not the case. Nonetheless, this is the digital backgammon game you have been looking for. Sheer delight! My suggestions are for making it even better. You must try this game!
Trustworthy Backgammon Game
This is a very trustworthy backgammon game. Ive been playing for a while and can say no funny business going on with fake dice or fake players.
Some Improvements Needed but I would suggest you play this game instead of others as its fun and runs well most of the time. I want to give 4 stars but think the improvements should be made below first (ordered by priority)
1) This one is quite a bummer. There seems to be a bug in the game where when you double someone you automatically get doubled back and the other person gets the turn you were supposed to get. This causes issues when offering doubles and reduces your chance of winning.
2) If a player is about to gammon or backgammon the opposing player can quit the game and only lose a point. Players should receive a gammon when quitting during a match where all of their pieces aren't in the home board. Same for backgammons.
3) It takes too long before a player makes a move before an auto quit occurs. Ill sometimes be waiting minutes when an opponent gets angry and refuses to play
4) Better stats section. The wins and losses are recorded but how many points you get aren’t. It would also be nice to see what your rating is compared to your opponents
5) There seems to be a bug that happens every so often (1/20) where when you match somebody the game crashes
6) It doesn't seem like the chat button works. Not a huge issue
I have played for 30 years in clubs, online with Middle East players (games origin) and in tournaments. I have played every online app I can find and this is the best...but I have never lost a MATCH (10 to 15 games) while using the doubling cube to an online app. No app I have played can apply strategy in order to win a 10-15 game match. Worse than that, the app uses the doubling cube poorly.
I am not sure a backgammon app designed around algorithms can ever match the human mind when variables like risk, timing and an opponents strategy are considered.
I wish all the people complaining about the dice would take the time to learn the odds of rolling two dice (36 possible outcomes). Also, play a match, not a game and learn to use the doubling cube. It is said the dice are 75% of the game and the player is 25%. The player should learn the game well enough so their 25% is better than an apps or another player!
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.