National Geographic World Atlas
By National Geographic Society
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Welcome to the redesigned World Atlas app from National Geographic, the best world geography reference resource available. The Atlas features Nat Geo's award-winning cartography and stats and facts about every country on Earth.
Curious about a place in the news, looking for a trusted source of information for a school project, or just want to spin the globe and explore? The Atlas puts the world at your fingertips.
- Get flags, facts, and stats for every country and territory
- Receive daily trivia, pop quizzes, and on-this-day information
- Create pin lists of places you've been and places you want to go
- Download maps for offline use
- Get real-time weather data
What's New in Version 4.1
We appreciate all of the constructive feedback we've received since launching our completely redesigned World Atlas app. We've listened to your feedback and have made several enhancements.
- The app should feel more responsive in general.
- We’ve reduced a lag in performance on some older devices, and relaxed the animations between sections to allow you to interact directly.
- Fixed some odd scenarios that could occur when activating the app from a notification.
- Fixed a rare crash event that could occur with the star field
- Fixed a rare crash event that could cause certain saved pins to crash the app.
- Pins: We are investigating the issues reported with older pin lists. But, you will now be able to access your "imported" pins faster, as it now appears first in the "Saved Pins" list.
In case you missed it - here’s what was new in version 4.0:
National Geographic’s World Atlas has been completely rebuilt and redesigned. We've given the app a new look, a sleek new interface, and a host of new features—including daily trivia, an innovative statistics visualizer, and a much improved measuring tool.
You still have all the same functionality and features you’ve come to expect from the Atlas, but we’ve listened to your comments and suggestions and made it easier to use, more stable, and more elegant.
- All maps and location information have been updated
- Bing maps have been removed, which means no more jarring style change when zooming beyond Nat Geo cartography
- The distance measuring tool is now much more functional
- Offline map downloads have been decreased from ~500MB in size to 125MB in size, meaning they download fast and don’t take up as much space on your device
- You now have the ability to sync your saved pins across your devices
Not slick. Not really improved.
This app crashed when I tried to delete a pin. I thought the pin glitches were fixed in this update.
The new update is neither slicker nor faster. I find the new update slower to use, in spite of the smaller download size of the map.
There is some peculiar swelling near the center of the map. Like it is under a magnifying glass. And when it finally changes to a flat map, it doesn't seem to stay in memory, and it keeps popping from 3D-ish to 2D as I scroll across the map. Very slow and very annoying.
Info junk continues to pop up all the time when I'm scrolling around on the map, and I am constantly trying to get rid of the pop up info to see the map. Almost every time I start to touch the map, something pops up in my way, making it impossible to see the map.
And the darn map won't hold still! Between this and the annoying 3D-ish look, I don't know if I'll continue to use this app. Too bad. It has been one of my favorite apps as I traveled around the world. With the downloaded map, it has worked very well on airplane mode when I've been out of range of wi-fi.
I use the MAP several times a day. I look in this app for information maybe once a week. For my the info pop ups really detract from the main attraction: THE MAP.
P.s. I don't see trivia questions anywhere. Isn't that supposed to be a new feature?
You removed portrait mode?!
As a fairly frequent traveler, I've been using this app since its introduction, even with its flaws. I was excited to see a big update, and crushed to discover they've removed the ability to use the app in portrait mode -- you know, the way 90% of people hold their iPad. The app now only works when held sideways. I'm sorry, but I don't care how you rearchitected it; if you can't be bothered to keep something as basic as portrait mode functionality, which the app has had for years, I'm done using it.
There are also serious bugs, such as the fact that maps don’t redraw consistently as you scroll around the newly-conceived globe interface; one country will be at one zoom level, while the adjacent area is still a full level less detailed.
This update is a DOWNGRADE! ✯✯✯✯★
✯✯✯✯★ one star for this update. Buy a coffee table book instead.
Since 4.0 this app is now vastly inferior. Hugely disappointing. So many reasons why. I've been using this app for years on my iPads. Now, cannot zoom in for any local detail whatsoever, so no more localized pins. • New distance measuring tool does not work if you zoom in.• Cannot switch between physical and political map views. • Airport icons are off by 25 miles or more. • I could go on, but obviously nobody in charge cares. I've sent them suggestions via emails before, never got even one reply. Now, they took a five-star app and made it into a one star app. What a shame. This update is a HUGE disappointment, a total disaster! Did anyone test this?
This WAS a very good app... Now, a very, very bad product.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: May 03, 2015
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 33.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: National Geographic Society
- © National Geographic Society
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.