Sand Garden™ for the iPad
By PDJ Apps
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• Sand Garden was selected by eweek.com (Nathan Eddy) as one of the 10 must have apps for every new iPad owner! •
Sand Garden™ is a virtual Japanese Zen garden.
A Zen garden is a place to relax, meditate, or simply let your imagination go free.
Here's how a Zen garden works:
• Start with a blank canvas - just smooth and untouched sand.
• Choose a rock and place it on the sand.
• Pick a rake.
• With your rake, draw patterns and circles around the rock. Take your time and make them perfect.
• Now, let your imagination take over. Maybe pick another rock, or create an intricate design in the sand. Let your creativity flow.
• Reflect on your garden. Notice your newfound focus and calm.
The power of the iPad lets you take your own Japanese Zen garden anywhere you go. Make it your place of retreat whenever you are bored, stressed, or simply need a minute to get away from things.
Sand Garden™ features:
• Real time 3D sand modeling
• Highly customizable 3D rocks
• Shadows adding great realism
• Many raking tools
• Many sand types
• Many light environments such as full sunlight, or flickering candle
• Ability to save your garden as a background for your iPad
What's New in Version 1.2
• Fixed orientation bug
This is an awesome, beautiful app.
I picked this up after having so much respect for PDJ on Nano Fighter.
This is really cool.
The tools are great, I love how you can adjust the lighting to fit the time of day.
Maybe a cool update could bring water with motion and fish.
Also, could have the very bright reflection of the sun and moon.
Here is a tip: someone mentioned that when you place a stone on sand, it doesn't sink in or give the visual effect that it is sinking in. All you have to do is create the sink marks yourself by drawing under or around the rock. This works better, as you can really create your own infinite detail.
I recommend this app to anyone looking to have relaxing fun with a pretty app that allows you to be creative, but does not require you to be an artist.
Very good, but needs better save option
The shadows and rock texture and rotation are stunning. The sand texture isn't as well done and appears plastic and somewhat lo-Rez by comparison, especially in colors other than beige.
When the light is set to daylight, it's hard to see what you're doing in the upper left of the screen. Snapshot button works well for screen saving, but is hidden under miscellaneous. The app seriously needs a way to save the work in a library so users can go back and rework gardens. Also needs a simple undo button in addition to the full wipe. I agree that the buttons should be larger. I need to use a stylus so I don't make unwanted dimples in the sand.
Will give a better rating when the save to library option and simple undo is added.
Wish it could save gardens
I bought this for my wife and found myself liking it! Very calming to create the garden. However:
1) menu buttons to switch between tools too hard to hit because so tiny. A floating menu would be better, or at least bigger buttons. Often you make a dimple in the sand trying to switch tools.
2) Am I missing how I can save my garden to come back to later? Even better, ability to save many gardens to come back and change and enjoy later. Spending time creating a great garden to only have to have it disappear when you leave the app is not fun. Especially if you forget to even take a screenshot of it.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Apr 03, 2010
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 5.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Pavel Doichev
- © Pavel Doichev
Compatibility: Requires iOS 3.2 or later. Compatible with iPad.